LiveFight
October 22, 2017, 12:58:04 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bert Sugar sees Pacquiao vs. Margarito as a B+ fight  (Read 4759 times)
HurricaneHig
V.I.P
Executive Member

Any two will do?

« on: August 27, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »

http://www.boxingshite24.com/2010/08/bert-sugar-sees-pacquiao-vs-margarito-as-a-b-fight/

Boxing writer Bert Sugar thinks the upcoming November 13th fight between Antonio Margarito and Manny Pacquiao is a B+ fight, according to an article by writer Chris Robinson at Examiner.com. Sugar, who has written over 80 books about boxing and other sports, said this about the Pacquiao-Margarito fight: Its a B+ fight, not the A+ fight we were looking for which is still the most anticipated fight since Tommy Hearns and Sugar Ray Leonard 30 years ago. But this is not chopped liver. This is a good fight.

I dont know if I agree with Sugar. If my head was still stuck in 2008, Id call this a B+ fight, but Margarito hasnt looked like the same fighter he once was in his last two fights and theres a lot of questions about his power now. He doesnt look like the huge puncher he was previous to his loss against Shane Mosley in 2009. I cant call it a B+ fight now, not with the way that Margarito has been looking.

Its more like a C fight if anything. Rather than matching Pacquiao against guys like Mosley, Andre Berto, Paul Williams or Sergio Martinez, all of whom I think would beat Margarito, Bob Arum has decided to match Pacquiao against one of his own fighters. I think Arum is two years late on this fight. Had it been back in 2008, it would have been a great fight but not now.

Margarito looks like someone completely different and he was taking punishment and running in his last fight against little known Roberto Garcia. Thats not a good sign for Margarito going into his fight against a much better fighter like Pacquiao. Im sure Sugar knows a lot about boxing, but I think hes dead wrong in calling this a B+ fight. If he had said it was a D+ fight, I think he would be a lot closer to reality than it being characterized as a B+ bout.

Margarito has had battles against Paul Williams, Miguel Cotto and Joshua Clottey in the past, beating Cotto and Clottey, but he doesnt look to be the same fighter he was back then. And even if he was, Im still not sure he would be good enough to compete with Pacquiao. He was always really slow and wide his punches. Margarito was able to get away with this because he didnt face much quicker fighters. Pacquiao will be a lot faster and will give him problems with his speed and movement. No, I dont see this fight as a B+ fight. Its closer to a D than a B.

Adversity and the 'big occasion' doesn't change a fighter - it only reveals them.
LiveFight
« on: August 27, 2010, 06:16:10 PM »

HurricaneHig
V.I.P
Executive Member

Any two will do?

« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 06:20:09 PM »

Couldnt agree more......

Fight should never be allowed happen, Shocking that he's getting another Payday.

Adversity and the 'big occasion' doesn't change a fighter - it only reveals them.
Skav
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »

The moral issue aside, I'm not sure that the fight will do well on PPV, so it may be a D, financially, but we'll see. Curiosity may eventually take over the hate that people have for Margarito because fight fans are known to be fickle.

In terms of the fight itself, I see it as much closer than people give it credit for as Margarito will be fighting more closer to his fighting weight and if the talk was true that Margarito had a lot of weight to shift for Shane then he will be better prepared this time.

Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2010, 08:11:03 PM »

I've asked this before Skav, but any links to any articles etc. about Margarito struggling with weight for the Mosley fight?

I've only ever seen spurious guesswork and supposition. Nothing beyond even a half rumour.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
Tomatron
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »

The moral issue aside, I'm not sure that the fight will do well on PPV, so it may be a D, financially, but we'll see. Curiosity may eventually take over the hate that people have for Margarito because fight fans are known to be fickle.

In terms of the fight itself, I see it as much closer than people give it credit for as Margarito will be fighting more closer to his fighting weight and if the talk was true that Margarito had a lot of weight to shift for Shane then he will be better prepared this time.

[/quot

Alot of people may paye to see Margarito gets his arse handed to him
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2010, 08:11:43 PM »

blondebecci
R.I.P EMANUEL STEWARD... SWEET DREAMS XXX

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 01:07:57 AM »

I love my uncle bert Smiley he's the man!!!!!
Keegan Jacobs
The Truth
Executive Member

The Truth

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 03:50:01 AM »

the only good thing about this fight is that i get to watch margarito get blasted.

Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 12:25:10 PM »

Skav says something that to me makes this fight questionable, its going to be a hard PPV sell now if a Maywether vs Manny fight is to go ahead I feel Arum and co are playing into FMJ's hand as he is going to ask for a bigger cut based on PPV numbers and I would be surprised if this fight does more than 700k buys.

I honestly don't think I will bother with this fight.

A Slice of Life
Skav
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 12:35:18 PM »

I've asked this before Skav, but any links to any articles etc. about Margarito struggling with weight for the Mosley fight?

I've only ever seen spurious guesswork and supposition. Nothing beyond even a half rumour.

Sorry, Socrates, but it really was just talk. Not internet talk, however.

And Rodney, I agree, this could bite Manny on his arse after all the drama with the PED's that Mayweather really does deserve to call the shots and command the majority of the terms of the fight.

styledoctor
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 01:17:51 PM »

I know he is boxing enemy #1 and rightly so but let's just suppose Marg's KO of Cotto was legit. If so, this fight may not be the blast-out everybody wants to see. Horseshoe in gloves or not, Margarito is world class.  And he's huge (although this seems to make no difference with Pacman!). Hope I'm wrong, but it would be shocking irony that he costs Bob Arum a massive Pac-Floyd fight.
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 01:50:11 PM »

And Rodney, I agree, this could bite Manny on his arse after all the drama with the PED's that Mayweather really does deserve to call the shots and command the majority of the terms of the fight.

Cheers Skav.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
brocktonbomber
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 02:20:04 PM »

Skav, I'm not sure what you mean by to last part. The Mayweathers started the PED drama and because Pacquiao didn't bow down to their arrogance, you feel Mayweather deserves to call the shots. Maybe one could possibly try and make a case on PPV buys or some other angle, but to say Mayweather deserves to call the shots because of all the 'PED drama' which his camp started doesn't make sense to me.
Leonidas
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 03:01:03 PM »

the only good thing about this fight is that i get to watch margarito get blasted.

this.

... and it builds even more hype for the Pac-Mayweather fight (not that it's needed in fairness).
IrishPaddy
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 03:03:44 PM »

I see where Berts coming from. A B- fight for me though, not a B+.

Sorry Uncle Bert. But you are the man anyway.
Leonidas
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 03:15:20 PM »

In terms of interest, excitement and fight quality its an A fight.

In terms of relevance and historical significance Sugar is spot on.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: