LiveFight
October 17, 2017, 01:45:49 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotto 146 Clottey 147 ***Spoilers***  (Read 12637 times)
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »

Cotto does has skills, but judging from the Margarito fight he doesn't have much of a brain, unless his outside game dramatically improves I can't see him winning this one, Clottey gives him a beating on the inside.

How do you come to that conclusion?

Cotto was running rings around Margarito untill old plaster wraps busted him up.

Clottey is far too economical with his punches to keep Cotto on the back foot, Cotto will hit Clotteys high guard most of the night but some shots will pierce it and after a close first half Cotto will take over in the second half of the fight

Cotto UD

LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2009, 09:21:59 AM »

Cotto does has skills, but judging from the Margarito fight he doesn't have much of a brain, unless his outside game dramatically improves I can't see him winning this one, Clottey gives him a beating on the inside.
If you mean not running away inthe later rounds then he was slowing down from swallowing his own blood from a broken nose in the 2nd round. He didn't have the legs to keep out of range.
WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2009, 09:24:16 AM »

I believe our good friend Budweiser will stream it plus the UK fights.  Grin

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
CelticHiggo
V.I.P
Executive Member

"Its never too late to be what you might have been

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2009, 09:33:01 AM »

Im really looking forward to this fight and its going to be a really tough nights work for both fighters.Im still going Cotto on points.

"Never argue with an idiot.They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
Haynesey

'Can that man fight.' Larry Merchant

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »

Cotto was running rings around Margarito untill old plaster wraps busted him up.

Clottey is far too economical with his punches to keep Cotto on the back foot, Cotto will hit Clotteys high guard most of the night but some shots will pierce it and after a close first half Cotto will take over in the second half of the fight

Cotto UD

Margarito followed Cotto around the ring for 11 rounds, making no attempt to cut the canvas down, and yet Cotto was still trapped on the ropes frequently. That to me is not a fighter with excellent outside ability. He used far too much lateral movement against Margarito, who has terrible footwork. Miguel should have controlled the centre of the ring and put some steam in his shots, as he did in the first round, not run around throwing arm punches and then sitting on the ropes for prolonged periods of time due to him gasing out after all that wasted movement.
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2009, 09:35:52 AM »

Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2009, 09:38:42 AM »

Margarito followed Cotto around the ring for 11 rounds, making no attempt to cut the canvas down, and yet Cotto was still trapped on the ropes frequently. That to me is not a fighter with excellent outside ability. He used far too much lateral movement against Margarito, who has terrible footwork, Miguel should have controlled the centre of the ring and put some steam onto his punches, as he did in the first round, not run around throwing arm punches and then sitting on the ropes for prolonged periods of time due to him gasing out after all that wasted movement.

For the first 5 rounds Cotto turned Margarito and boxed circles around him, it wasnt until he started to swallow his own blood from a badly broken nose that he slowed his tempo down.

He was hardly going to have great footwork when his mouth was gaping wide open because he couldnt breath correctly was he?

Haynesey

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »

If you mean not running away inthe later rounds then he was slowing down from swallowing his own blood from a broken nose in the 2nd round. He didn't have the legs to keep out of range.

I'm referring to him running away throughout the fight, a man of Cotto's ability should have schooled Margarito from the centre of the ring.
Haynesey

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2009, 09:43:36 AM »

For the first 5 rounds Cotto turned Margarito and boxed circles around him, it wasnt until he started to swallow his own blood from a badly broken nose that he slowed his tempo down.

He was hardly going to have great footwork when his mouth was gaping wide open because he couldnt breath correctly was he?

From the second round Cotto was being trapped on the ropes by Margarito, the amount of punches Antonio landed in the first five indicates that Miguel was far from putting on an exhibition.
dave j

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2009, 10:10:20 AM »

Cotto UD

i agree with the fact that cotto was running rings around margarito,,but i really think he shouldnt use the same approach against clottey,,i mean in the margo fight he never really sat down on his punchs,, which i feel he needs to do in this one
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2009, 10:15:41 AM »

Margarito followed Cotto around the ring for 11 rounds, making no attempt to cut the canvas down, and yet Cotto was still trapped on the ropes frequently. That to me is not a fighter with excellent outside ability. He used far too much lateral movement against Margarito, who has terrible footwork. Miguel should have controlled the centre of the ring and put some steam in his shots, as he did in the first round, not run around throwing arm punches and then sitting on the ropes for prolonged periods of time due to him gasing out after all that wasted movement.

Margarito's movement may not be the most graceful but his stalking of Cotto was getting more and more intense as the fight wore on. He was practically running after Cotto at times. Seeing as Cotto had a mouth full of blood and could hardly breathe, he didn't have an awful lot of choice but to back up against the ropes and hope to pick Margarito off with counters, which he still achieved effectively even in the later rounds. Your assessment of Cotto as a brainless fighter, based on this one fight, is in itself a pretty brainless judgement seeing as Cotto has built a reputation as one of the most methodical, calculated and thoughtful fighters out there.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2009, 10:19:49 AM »

Agree completely with this.
I'd dismiss anything about this fight after the first 3 or 4 rounds, cos we dont know what margaritto was packing that night. I know nothing has ever or can ever been proved on this fight, but Margaritto has been caught once (the fight after) and i find it hard to believe it was the first time he had been wrapped in this way. Anyhow after being caught the burden of proof should now lie with him to clear his name rather than the other way round.
Haynesey

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2009, 10:30:50 AM »

Margarito's movement may not be the most graceful but his stalking of Cotto was getting more and more intense as the fight wore on. He was practically running after Cotto at times. Seeing as Cotto had a mouth full of blood and could hardly breathe, he didn't have an awful lot of choice but to back up against the ropes and hope to pick Margarito off with counters, which he still achieved effectively even in the later rounds. Your assessment of Cotto as a brainless fighter, based on this one fight, is in itself a pretty brainless judgement seeing as Cotto has built a reputation as one of the most methodical, calculated and thoughtful fighters out there.

Cotto was being trapped on the ropes from the early rounds (when Cotto wasn't being battered to a pulp and Margarito was running after him), which I've already posted, and you have neglected. A smart outside fighter who uses his brain would tie up Margarito when his attacks and charges became overly zealious, and utilised his momentum against him, ala Mayweather-Hatton. Not only is Cotto a brainless fighter, but his heart is also in question, and I expect Clottey to break it.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2009, 10:37:17 AM »

Cotto was being trapped on the ropes from the early rounds (when Cotto wasn't being battered to a pulp and Margarito was running after him), which I've already posted, and you have neglected. A smart outside fighter who uses his brain would tie up Margarito when his attacks and charges became overly zealious, and utilised his momentum against him, ala Mayweathe-Hatton. Not only is Cotto a brainless fighter, but his heart is also in question, and I expect Clottey to break it.

You can't tie up a guy who is naturally bigger and stronger than you. I haven't neglected the fact that Cotto was willing to trade punches with Margarito because he is a fighter, rather than the ballet dancer Mayweather that you so admire. You cannot possibly compare this fight to Mayweather-Hatton, that is a ludicrous comparison, seeing as Mayweather turned out to be the bigger, stronger, more natural welterweight than Hatton. Margarito is a big guy for a welterweight and Cotto put up a tremendous effort against him. If you cannot admire the counter punching that Cotto exhibited that night, or the movement that he showed to make Margarito look foolish, then I'm not sure you know what you're lookng at. Of course Cotto was never going to do that the whole fight be he is actually willing to engage in genuine combat, unlike others I could mention. It staggers me that you find Cotto to be a brainless fighter when you consider his performances against the likes of Mosley, Judah, Quintana etc.
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »

Cotto was being trapped on the ropes from the early rounds (when Cotto wasn't being battered to a pulp and Margarito was running after him), which I've already posted, and you have neglected. A smart outside fighter who uses his brain would tie up Margarito when his attacks and charges became overly zealious, and utilised his momentum against him, ala Mayweather-Hatton. Not only is Cotto a brainless fighter, but his heart is also in question, and I expect Clottey to break it.

You heard the phrase styles make fights? Miguel Cotto is certainly no Floyd Mayweather Jr. When have you ever seen Cotto tie opponents up and be a "Smart outside fighter" ??

Cotto is a box puncher who cuts the ring down and stalks his opponents. He can fight on the back foot but not effectivly, when Margarito was pushing him back it was something Miguel had never really experienced as a pro and it was testiment to the type of fighter he is that he was able to box so well going backwards. Lets not forget Cotto was a LWW and Margarito has fought at LMW. Margarito was bigger and stronger.

You might as well say that Hatton should have boxed like Ali to beat Pacquiao, it doesnt work like that

Haynesey

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2009, 10:42:43 AM »

You heard the phrase styles make fights? Miguel Cotto is certainly no Floyd Mayweather Jr. When have you ever seen Cotto tie opponents up and be a "Smart outside fighter" ??

Cotto is a box puncher who cuts the ring down and stalks his opponents. He can fight on the back foot but not effectivly, when Margarito was pushing him back it was something Miguel had never really experienced as a pro and it was testiment to the type of fighter he is that he was able to box so well going backwards.

You might as well say that Hatton should have boxed like Ali to beat Pacquiao, it doesnt work like that

So we're in agreement that Cotto's outside game isn't that great, which is what I posted originally and you were questioning.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: