LiveFight
April 21, 2018, 03:44:12 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fury thinks he would be a better opponent for Haye than Harrison  (Read 1742 times)
HurricaneHig
V.I.P
Executive Member

Any two will do?

« on: September 11, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »

http://www.boxingshite24.com/2010/09/fury-thinks-he-would-be-a-better-opponent-for-haye-than-harrison/

By Sean McDaniel: Unbeaten British heavyweight Tyson Fury (11-0, 9 KOís) is not impressed with the November 13th heavyweight match-up between World Boxing Association (WBA) heavyweight champion David Haye (24-1, 22 KOís) and former 2000 Olympic Gold Medalist and former EBU heavyweight champion Audley Harrison (27-4, 20 KOís), saying ďI definitely put up better fights than Harrison. I reckon I could beat Audley Harrison, to be honest. But itís about getting the chance to prove it.Ē Fury, 22, has a lot to prove still, as heís struggled recently to beat B level fighter John McDermott.

Fury got the win in both of his fights against McDermott, but he looked little better than him. Say what you want about Harrison being flawed, but heís clearly a better heavyweight than McDermott. Fury needs to make loads up improvement for his talent level to start matching his inflated self confidence. American boxing fans will get a chance to see Fury in action tonight against the obscure heavyweight Rich Power (12-0, 9 KOís) at the York Hall, Bethnal Green, London, United Kingdom. The bout will be shown on Shobox.

Fury needs to look good in that fight if he wants to win over an American audience. He canít look sloppy and ragged like he did in his 9th round stoppage win over McDermott in June. Fury needs to show better stamina and power. He just looked tired and wild for the most part in that fight until scoring a 9th round TKO.

Fury, no doubt, would like to get a shot against Haye and/or the Klitschko brothers. But unless they pick Fury out of the bunch without him having to actually prove himself against a top tier fighter, it will mean that Fury is going to have to wait awhile before he gets his shot. It may never come if Fury canít cut it against the top fighters in the heavyweight division. Itís not a good sign that Fury is struggling against the likes of McDermott.

Thatís a fight that Fury should have been able to win with ease if he had the talent to mix it up with the Klitschko brothers, Haye or the top tier fighters. Right now, Fury looks like a career B level fighter destined to spend his entire career at that level without making the jump to the upper tier.

Fury still doesnít like the Haye-Harrison fight, commenting ďI think itís a farce, to be honest. I donít think Harrison deserves a shot at the world title for winning the Prizefighter tournament and his European title, when his opponent was Michael Sprott, who had lost nearly all his fights abroad when it came to fighting Europeans. I donít know he can beat Michael Sprott and get a shot at the world title. Itís one of those things. Heís got the opportunity and heís going to take it with both hands.Ē

The reason Haye has chosen Harrison to fight is because heís a former Gold Medal winner in the Olympics and is a popular fighter in the UK. The last time I checked, Fury hadnít won a Gold medal. Itís a fight that will make both Harrison and Haye a ton of money. Why shouldnít Harrison get the shot when heís worth a lot of cash?

Adversity and the 'big occasion' doesn't change a fighter - it only reveals them.
LiveFight
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:38:32 AM »

shivasouth
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2010, 10:44:02 AM »

An Internet word I hate using but this is the ideal occasion :

LOL

Don't ever mistake my silence for ignorance, my calmness for acceptance and my kindness for weakness.
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »

2 thoughts on that.

I. I'm no Fury fan, but a novice of his calibre taking on and beating McDermott shows tremendous stones.
II. I would disagree with the assertion Harrison is clearly better than McDermott. Big John has lost at domestic level and so has Harrison. I'd say they are about the same level as a pro although Audley was clearly a better amateur.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
Bolton Dave
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 11:00:29 AM »

Same as Kev, I honestly think big John and Audley would be a good match up. I know prizefighter is totally different to a normal fight but Harrison didn't look anything special in that despite winning it and same with the Sprott fight.

Yes, he has a devilish left hand but other than that, is a pudding. To me, this Haye v Harrison fight is similar to Haye v Enzo in that I expect Haye to win and quickly but theres a very real threat of the opponent connecting - only I fully expected Enzo to give Haye a harder time than Harrison will

Bored of boxing - need some fights to excite me again
Skav
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »

I was thinking about whether Fury deserved the shot more than Harrison last night while watching his fight with Power and, tbh, I don't find the thought so ridiculous that there really isn't that much in it between them in terms of who would deserve the shot more.

Harrison did win the European, though, but every so poorly.

If Harrison was swapped for Fury today, I wouldn't blink an eye.

Check out my articles at: http://www.ringnews 24.com (all one word)
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 11:16:28 AM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:10:09 PM »

Fury is a lumbering giant that fights like a drunken fool, swinging and clinging, after 3 rounds due to pure exhaustion. He also hasn't got anywhere near the power of Audley. His only good features are heart and he comes to fight.
pete postlethwaite
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 12:44:27 PM »

Fury is a lumbering giant that fights like a drunken fool, swinging and clinging, after 3 rounds due to pure exhaustion. He also hasn't got anywhere near the power of Audley. His only good features are heart and he comes to fight.

Are you still in charge of PR for Team Fury. That's the most accurate and succinct breakdown of the man thus far.

Gere in Galapagos.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »

Great thinking Pete. We should offer our training services. What doesn't break him will only make him stronger. It's win win either way. Like Pavarotti the first thing is a lock on the fridge.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: