LiveFight
September 22, 2018, 09:23:09 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Golden Boy inks Malignaggi  (Read 4134 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: September 28, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »

www.fightnews.com

Golden Boy inks Malignaggi

Former IBF jr welterweight champion Paulie “The Magic Man” Malignaggi has signed with Golden Boy Promotions. “It was officially announced today! From here on now, I’m with Golden Boy Promotions! New show, so get your popcorn ready!” Malignaggi said on Twitter.
September 28th, 2010
LiveFight
« on: September 28, 2010, 09:43:31 PM »

CelticHiggo
V.I.P
Executive Member

"Its never too late to be what you might have been

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 09:52:08 PM »

Im not really sure what Goldenboy will do with him because he doesnt beat any of the top guys in the division.It wouldnt surprise me if we get Malignaggi v Morales but id like to see McCloskey fight him.

"Never argue with an idiot.They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 10:09:43 PM »

If he fought Urango, Ortiz, Maidana, Cayo, Guzman, Peterson or McCloskey they would be interesting fights.
Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 10:42:14 PM »

golden boy will feed him to the lions for a few fights cash in on him and end his career... thats how i see this one going
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:50:40 PM »

golden boy will feed him to the lions for a few fights cash in on him and end his career... thats how i see this one going

Paulie's not stupid. I'm sure they've discussed what direction he's taking now. He has never shied away from a fight and of course he'll take the paycheck of a risky fight if he gets it.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 10:50:40 PM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 07:14:39 AM »

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/more-on-malignaggigbp-61636#more-61636

More on Malignaggi/GBP

Oscar de la Hoya made the surprise announcement of the signing of former World Champion Paulie Malignaggi (27-4, 5 KOs) to a boxing promotional contract with Golden Boy Promotions on Tuesday during a boxing clinic at Gleason’s Gym in Brooklyn, New York. Malignaggi will campaign at a new weight class, 147 pounds, where he feels he will be more comfortable and effective. “This is the start of a new stage of my career,” Malignaggi said. “A new promoter, a new weight class and a new opportunity to face the best, beat the best and win a world championship.” A date, site and opponent for Malignaggi’s first fight with Golden Boy Promotions will be announced soon.

Paulie will also serve as one of Golden Boy Promotions’ “ambassadors” to New York, assisting in the promotion of events in his hometown of Brooklyn in conjunction with Golden Boy’s recently announced deal with The Barclays Center.

“This is the best career move I’ve made and I’m thankful to Golden Boy Promotions for giving me this opportunity,” stated Malignaggi. “I know they can give me the biggest and best fights out there and that’s what I want at this point in my career. I also want to thank my attorney Steve Bash and my manager Anthony Catanzaro for working so hard to make deal happen.”

“We are very excited to add Paulie to our roster of fighters,” commented Golden Boy Promotions President Oscar de la Hoya. “We have worked with him on numerous fights and his flashy style is exciting to watch both in and out of the ring. We have big plans in store for him and are thrilled that he is in our corner.”
cocksuckinknowitall
Executive Member

Prediction fail extraordinaire

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 09:50:56 AM »

If he couldn't knock the wind out of a pillow at 140, what makes him think he'll do anything other than bounce of peoples whiskers at 147?  Or will he and his fragile hands develop some concussive power out of nowhere because he can gain a bit more weight?

"I think you will find haye made that face." ~ jimjack
cloughie
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 09:56:44 AM »

wa-hey, lets hear it for Paulie, he's a decent guy and i'n pleased that he may be eeking out a few bucks from another fight or 2. good for him.
Gavin
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 06:13:16 PM »

Its funny because I remember Paulie slagging off Golden Boy in public not too long back

Tomatron
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 06:17:25 PM »

If he fought Urango, Ortiz, Maidana, Cayo, Guzman, Peterson or McCloskey they would be interesting fights.
Peterson, and Ortiz would have him.

But he is a good gate keeper to world class now.
Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 07:54:25 PM »

Jesus, I didn't realise GoldenBoy were this fookin' desperate!  OMG!
Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 08:43:52 PM »

Jesus, I didn't realise GoldenBoy were this fookin' desperate!  OMG!

u obviously werent around when they signed nate campbell then...
styledoctor
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2010, 10:47:58 AM »

On side with the Promoter for a change? Malignaggi is an excuse machine. Instead of looking in the mirror he hears his entourage telling him how great he is. I've got time for DiBella, I think he does genuinely care for his fighters. That's why this latest outburst confirms Malignaggi as lacking class. This is Dan Rafael's take on it:

http://spam.go.com/sports/boxing/blog/_/name/rafael_dan/id/5633162/dibella-deserve-malignaggi-ire

The news this week that former junior welterweight titlist Paulie Malignaggi signed with Golden Boy did not come as a surprise to me. After all, I had written of its likelihood two weeks ago, and a couple of days later spoke to Malignaggi about it when we were in Los Angeles -- where he was meeting with company officials -- for the Shane Mosley-Sergio Mora fight.

What did surprise me was Malignaggi's uncalled for attack on his former promoter, Lou DiBella, following the signing.

Now I've known Malignaggi since before he turned pro in 2001. I've interviewed him countless times. I've always enjoyed being around him. He's met my wife. I like him. A lot. But I think he's dead wrong for attacking DiBella. Malignaggi was petty and ungrateful in his condemnation of DiBella's 10 years of guiding his career.

When I spoke to Malignaggi after he signed with Golden Boy, he took a page out of Floyd Mayweather's playbook, referring to the deal he had with DiBella as a "slave contract." (I am a firm believer that promoters are entitled to make money too, though a lot of fighters seem to forget that.)

Malignaggi complained about DiBella's 25 percent revenue split in their contract (Malignaggi's new deal gives Golden Boy 20 percent), even though DiBella swears he didn't turn a profit with Malignaggi until about seven years into the deal. Malignaggi also complained about having to pay DiBella $75,000 -- a reasonable price considering how much time was left -- to buy his way out of the contract after his lopsided loss to Amir Khan in May.

Malignaggi further trashed DiBella, saying things like, "Lou never promoted me the right way" and "He should be grateful to me for the money he made by leeching off me for all those years."

Malignaggi claimed that when he won a 140-pound title against Lovemore N'Dou in 2007 that "nobody even knew I was fighting for a title because Lou didn't promote the fight like it should have been promoted."

Malignaggi railed against DiBella for not protecting him in a 2006 fight with Miguel Cotto because of the small size of the ring and the early weigh-in time, as well as for not getting neutral officials for his first fight with Juan Diaz in Houston in 2007.

I got the feeling that if he could have, Malignaggi would have blamed DiBella for bad weather and the poor economy.

It got to the point that I stopped taking notes about his complaints. Now, DiBella is a big boy and doesn't need to be defended, but I was appalled by Malignaggi's skewed view of reality.

My belief is that DiBella did a Hall of Fame job for Malignaggi against all odds. DiBella took a guy from day one of his pro career -- who had zero punching power and a style that didn't make for scintillating television -- and brought him not only to a world title, but to numerous premium cable appearances with purses that grossed at least a few million dollars.

He fought on HBO six times, defended his title on Showtime's top series and also had appearances on Showtime's "ShoBox."

Much of it was because of DiBella. After Malignaggi lost to Cotto, quite brutally, DiBella got HBO to buy Malignaggi in a "Boxing After Dark" main event against Edner Cherry in his next fight. That was impressive.

After Malignaggi won his title against N'Dou on HBO and the network had no interest in his first defense against Herman Ngoudjo, DiBella convinced Showtime to buy the fight. After that, DiBella got Malignaggi the biggest fight of his life against then-champ Ricky Hatton. It wasn't DiBella's fault Malignaggi was outclassed and stopped in the 11th round. At least Malignaggi didn't blame DiBella for the loss. He blamed trainer Buddy McGirt, who he fired and then dumped all over in the aftermath. In recent years Malignaggi has also shed other members of his team, including trainers, advisers and lawyers, when he hasn't liked what they've had to say.

After Malignaggi's controversial loss to Diaz, it was DiBella who willed the rematch to happen. He called media members to campaign for the rematch and basically camped out in Kery Davis' HBO office to convince him to buy the sequel. That led to the title shot against Khan, a fight in which Malignaggi was again outclassed.

When told about Malignaggi's disparaging comments, DiBella was disappointed because, even after all these years in the business, he still falls in love with fighters. He should know better, but he can't help himself.

In a shocker, DiBella, who can be one of the volcanic personalities on the planet at times, didn't bother to go off on Malignaggi. Instead he said, several times, that he had thought of, and treated, Malignaggi "as a member of my family, that's how much I loved the kid."

His voice trailed off.
Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2010, 06:32:18 PM »

None of that surprises me in the least.  Malignaggi's a gobby tosser and little more, I've said so for ages.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2010, 07:52:55 PM »

Real lack of class from Paulie, Di Bella for me atleast appears to be the promoter who cares most about his fighters.
He wont encourage them to carry on if they can not produce the goods, Paulie has no real career left ahead now.
He has not done anything to warrant a shot or is even good enough to beat any of the top guys, I don't see any paydays heading his way either anytime soon.

Team Groves
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: