LiveFight
October 17, 2017, 06:43:47 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cleverly, Macklin foes named  (Read 2606 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: October 20, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/cleverly-macklin-foes-named-63796#more-63796

Cleverly, Macklin foes named

Nathan Cleverly and Matthew Macklin will face former world title challengers on December 11 at Liverpool’s Echo Arena. Cleverly will challenge for the Interim WBO World light-heavyweight title against the number two ranked Alejandro Lakatos. And Macklin will defend his European middleweight belt against Ruben Varon.

Part of a huge card to celebrate promoter Frank W*****’s 30 years in boxing, the fights will feature alongside Paul Smith’s British super-middeweight title defence against James DeGale.

Kell Brook, Tony Bellew and Frankie Gavin will also be in title action.

Born in Romania, tough Eastern European Lakatos is a two-time world title challenger with a wealth of experience. Among his opponents have been unbeaten world champions Dariusz Michalczewski and Zsolt Erdei. “Lakatos knows what it is all about and he will be a real threat,” said Welsh sensation Cleverly. “He’s fought the best in the world so I can take nothing for granted, and I’ll have to be very sharp on the night.”

Spaniard Varon is equally dangerous, with a WBO world title challenge against Felix Sturm on his CV.

Macklin, who wants to press his claims for a world title shot with a win against Varon, said: “I’ve been saying for ages that Felix Sturm is the man that I want. If I can do a better job than him against Varon, it could start opening some doors for me. Varon will be really up for this fight though, so I can’t afford to slip up.”
LiveFight
« on: October 20, 2010, 01:49:58 PM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 01:58:07 PM »

Two very non-competitive fights for the card. Lakatos is a dirty fighter that has lost to everyone decent he's ever faced. And Varon feasts on fighters with losing records. His last 4 fights have been against fighters with a combined record of 15 wins and 54 loses. And that's after Zbik crushed him in 4 rounds.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 02:20:00 PM »

Seems like a backward step for Cleverly bar the interim title part. Imo he could well win a world title in 2011 although I wouldnt reccomend him fighting Pascal.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 02:40:11 PM »

This has put me off the card a little if i am honest, would not mind seeing the main event but bollocks to these two farces.

Team Groves
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »

This has put me off the card a little if i am honest, would not mind seeing the main event but bollocks to these two farces.

He may as well charge people £40-200 to parade them by on an opentop bus for all the real fighting that will be happening.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 02:46:01 PM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 02:55:47 PM »

Agree with you guys - this is looking like a pretty lightweight card other than Smith v DeGale.  The Mag7 bill certainly looked a lot more substantial during its early stages, before withdrawals, etc.

I can't see Brook fighting anyone too dangerous either as Frank will want to keep his proposed fight with Mike Jones on track for early next year.
dazzer

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 07:51:31 PM »

i got my tickets, before these fights were annouced and i now wish i never bothed. I thought macklin and clev would have had better fights then this. Got caught up in the 30 year blockbuster show. Hope the headline fight turns out to be a good fight because the rest of the card will be pooh. So wazza gives us a blockbuster of 30 years of pooh 1 good fight 6 crap
tweetstreet
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 10:57:51 AM »

just looking at the other options for cleverly and seeing as they would have to be WBO ranked you are looking at Cloud and Henry as the other 2 more viable options.

Cloud would cost to much i reckon and well depends who Henry's promoter is i suppose.

The only other fighter i could suggest is Roy Jones jr if they want a big name who Clev could probably beat now
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 03:59:25 PM »

Is it true that Juergen Braehmer (full WBO Champ) is in prison?
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »

Is it true that Juergen Braehmer (full WBO Champ) is in prison?

He was sentenced to 16 months without parole in January this year, so yes i would assume so.

GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 04:08:43 PM »

He was sentenced to 16 months without parole in January this year, so yes i would assume so.

Cheers mate. I had heard a rumour about this but wasn't sure if it was really the case.
Tomatron
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 08:03:24 PM »

Still not that bad of a card from Frank.

Its not his best, but you can't have magic cards everytime. Hes still putting on the best cards in the UK at the moment. Just wish there was a couple more names on the card.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: