LiveFight
February 23, 2018, 10:58:00 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Khan to McCloskey: Take the offer  (Read 12136 times)
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »

For starters, I didnt SC you. I ament a child, its probably that everyone else thinks you talk sh*t when it comes to this topic(ie Khan). So stop moaning. I dont know what exactly you meant with the last bit as I dont speak retard so I'll just ignore it  Wink

I dont exactly know what facts your looking for, its pretty much common knowledge. He pob brought 500 to Vegas if even, the rest were comps and people looking for a decent scrap. Even Calzaghe brought heaps more. Sorry but in his biggest fight to date he only had 4k at it. Thats not a big draw and pales towards Hatton, Naz, Lewis etc and these fought when it was harder to get travel to the states and more expensive. I was at a Hatton fight in Vegas and there was easily 20k Brits there. To me personally that is fact.

Look Jim,people  didnt just wake up one day and start saying all these things about Amir for no reason. He's snide arrogant cheap but unfortunatley a good boxer. But no where near as high as he values himself. He speaks about Manny and Floyd as if they are contempories of his and they hang out. and he's on their level. Whereas the reality is he should have been stopped by an Argentinian slugger who was winded for half the fight and took his best shots.

For me he is a better boxer than Haye but probably a far worse person and far less crossover appeal. If this is what Sky and Britain want to rely on then fair enough but its their funeral in the end. All these casuals wont give a toss after a couple more fights. Its just a novelty at the moment since there was no big fight since Ricky fought. I really cannot see Amirs star rising once more and dont think he will ever be the crossover star that you clearly reckon he already is.

At any point in this thread have I said Khan is a huge crossover star, have i said what numbers he would take to the US or indeed to the UK, have I at any point said he has a bigger following than the other fighters you have mentioned? NO, NO and NO.
You have made up in your own mind what i was saying and then called my comments outlandish and biased when in fact they were in your head.
What I HAVE said is that Khan wont have the following of some, he wont make the money of some, HOWEVER in this proposed the fight the money was on the table because of Khan. It's not right how the champion can dictate terms but as it stands they can, they all do it and the other way rd with the Irish lad doing it there would be no issue from most on here.
Now if you dont understand any of that letme know and i'll try to translate it from my mother tongue of 'retard'. Although petty name calling behind a keyboard is really tough I would appreciate it if you didn't do it again.
LiveFight
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2011, 09:45:47 AM »

The Flaccid Member
V.I.P

« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2011, 10:01:50 AM »

Just to stoke the fires of continued debate.....

By Scott Gilfoid: Legendary trainer Emanuel Steward has noticed some flaws that need major addressing for WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (24-1, 17 KO’s) if he’s to get to the next level and beat top fighters like Victor Ortiz, Devon Alexander, Lucas Matthysse, and Timothy Bradley.

Speaking to the telegraph.co.uk, Steward said that Khan has “Serious flaws” that he’s seen in his style but his fight against Marcos Maidana in December showed that Khan weaknesses that will be exposed when he faces faster fighters with greater boxing skills than Maidana.

Steward is right. Khan is going to be in serious trouble when he faces guys like Alexander and Bradley. If a slow and limited fighter like Maidana was able to have Khan reduced to getting battered against the ropes in the last three rounds of their fight in December, just imagine what a guy like Bradley will do to Khan. It won’t be pretty and there’s not much Khan’s trainer Freddie Roach can do to avoid that from happening.

I’m frankly surprised that Khan is still as vulnerable as he is despite being trained by Roach. However, in all fairness to Roach, there’s only so much you can do with a fighter that has a weak chin like Khan. Roach changed Khan’s style around completely and has turned him into a 100% runner. That – and the referee – saved Khan from getting knocked out against Maidana. If Khan hadn’t ran all night, he wouldn’t stood a chance against Maidana in a one on one fight. Roach can’t do much more than have Khan run.

http://www.boxingshite24.com/2011/01/steward-says-khan-has-serious-flaws/
mooreman
Executive Member

The Sandman

« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2011, 10:14:11 AM »

Just to stoke the fires of continued debate.....

By Scott Gilfoid: Legendary trainer Emanuel Steward has noticed some flaws that need major addressing for WBA light welterweight champion Amir Khan (24-1, 17 KO’s) if he’s to get to the next level and beat top fighters like Victor Ortiz, Devon Alexander, Lucas Matthysse, and Timothy Bradley.

Speaking to the telegraph.co.uk, Steward said that Khan has “Serious flaws” that he’s seen in his style but his fight against Marcos Maidana in December showed that Khan weaknesses that will be exposed when he faces faster fighters with greater boxing skills than Maidana.

Steward is right. Khan is going to be in serious trouble when he faces guys like Alexander and Bradley. If a slow and limited fighter like Maidana was able to have Khan reduced to getting battered against the ropes in the last three rounds of their fight in December, just imagine what a guy like Bradley will do to Khan. It won’t be pretty and there’s not much Khan’s trainer Freddie Roach can do to avoid that from happening.

I’m frankly surprised that Khan is still as vulnerable as he is despite being trained by Roach. However, in all fairness to Roach, there’s only so much you can do with a fighter that has a weak chin like Khan. Roach changed Khan’s style around completely and has turned him into a 100% runner. That – and the referee – saved Khan from getting knocked out against Maidana. If Khan hadn’t ran all night, he wouldn’t stood a chance against Maidana in a one on one fight. Roach can’t do much more than have Khan run.

http://www.boxingshite24.com/2011/01/steward-says-khan-has-serious-flaws/

Terrible article but the gist is about right.
The Flaccid Member
V.I.P

« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2011, 10:37:17 AM »

Here is the actual article from the Telegraph - He only touches on Khan in the final paragraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/boxingandmma/8285574/Heavyweight-no-show-between-David-Haye-and-Wladimir-Klitschko-killing-boxing-says-trainer-Emanuel-Steward.html

Skav
Executive Member

« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »

watch round 10 and tell me that fight shouldnt have been stopped.

i dont hate him, i just think alexander and bradley would riphim a new arsehole. if a "one handed argentian slugger" can f*ck him up bradley and alexander sure will. you keep referring to the whole "you said maidana would knock him out" all the time but sure everyone on here that said khan would win said maidana wouldnt put a glove on him....how wrong were they?? ?? ??

But it didn't.  Tongue

No, seriously, how was Maidana one handed? And I have only mentioned this once to you, it was others that have said you were wrong in your prediction that you kept telling everybody. But that doesn't matter.

Alexander and Bradley would give Khan a good run for his money, but I'm not sure how they would react to a fast counter puncher like Khan.

I think Khan would beat both of them, to be honest.

Check out my articles at: http://www.ringnews 24.com (all one word)
LiveFight
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2011, 01:45:32 PM »

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2011, 01:51:21 PM »

watch round 10 and tell me that fight shouldnt have been stopped.

i dont hate him, i just think alexander and bradley would riphim a new arsehole. if a "one handed argentian slugger" can f*ck him up bradley and alexander sure will. you keep referring to the whole "you said maidana would knock him out" all the time but sure everyone on here that said khan would win said maidana wouldnt put a glove on him....how wrong were they?? ?? ??

You've said that a couple of times now that you dont hate Khan, but before the Maidana fight did you not wish he put 'in a coma'. That's quite hate filled mate.
As far as the Maidana fight goes Khan showed his class in the first half of the fight and his stomach for a fight in the second, he gave you everything that you said you wanted from a fighter BUT you will still continue to spout bile at every thread containing Khan's name.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2011, 02:05:09 PM »

I wonder what it will take for some people to give Khan some credit.

I don't particularly like the bloke and whenever he opens his mouth I absolutely cringe. But he is clearly a talented fighter and he's just come through a fight with the biggest puncher in the division when some people thought he'd struggle to take his jab.

It started off with "Khan will never fight Maidana", "He'll drop his belt before he fights him". Once the fight was signed it became "he's his mandatory, what do you expect?" That was the first indication of positions changing.

Before the fight a lot of people on here were painting Maidana out to be a monster. They'll deny it now but some people were suggesting he was an unstoppable come forward KO artist who would definitely knock Khan out if he landed. Land he did, on a number of occasions, and whilst Khan was wobbled and seriously hurt he rode through it, recovered and won the fight.

After the fight there were few threads congratulating the victor but a long and lengthy thread congratulating the guy who had lost. I couldn't understand it then and I still can't.

Now all you hear is "it should have been stopped" and any number of other suppositions like "the body shot in the first won him the fight". There is just no way of proving stuff like that, I just can't see that two punches in the first 3 minutes would win you a 36 minute fight.

The next stuff is "if the fight was 2 rounds longer then he'd have lost". Well it wasn't and it didn't. If the first round was 4 minutes long then Maidana would have been stopped in the first, but it wasn't and it didn't. No point dealing with theoretical stuff on a fight which happened, those were the rules, that was the fight and Khan won.

Like I said, I don't like Khan and the nonsense he comes out with irritates me no end. I have literally no interest in anything he says at all. But he is a very decent fighter, top 3 in his division and potentially number 1 in his division. Bradley or Alexander won't "kick his ass", it will be a tough, competitive, 50/50 fight I would say and i'd make Khan the marginal favourite over Alexander and Bradley the marginal favourite over Khan - but you could make a case over any outcome. But even if he wins that fight the goalposts will change and he won't get any credit from a decent percentage of fans.

Divorce the man from the fighter. Khan is a clown but a good fighter.

Good post mate IQ.
The answer to the question I'm not really sure but suspect people will hate Khan for the sake's of hating him. I dont profess to be his biggest fan, but on here I have to be, otherwise it would be every other thread slagging him off for the way he interviews, the way he drives, the way he wears his cap, his shoes, basically anything but what he does in the ring.
If there was no counter argument for this stuff it would just be a load of people spouting undeserved hatred and no discussion / argument. My IQ would be considerably higher though. Grin
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2011, 07:50:06 PM »

http://www.fightnews.com/Boxing/team-khan-response-73813

Team Khan response

Team Khan is extremely disappointed with the recent press release sent out by Paul McCloskey’s promoter, Barry Hearn, accusing Amir Khan of using the Irish fighter to get a cheap title defense.

According to Team Khan, a substantial offer was put to McCloskey’s team that would have seen the Irishman receive up to three times the amount he has ever been paid for a fight. McCloskey’s promoter asked for a purse over five times the amount he has ever received. Every time Team Khan believed that they were close to agreeing terms with McCloskey, his team would move the goalposts and ultimately their demands were rejected as being unrealistic.

Even though Paul McCloskey is not a pay-per-view fighter, his team demanded significant shares of the PPV revenue. In an effort to recognise McCloskey’s ability to sell tickets he was offered up to 20% commission on ticket sales. His team however demanded more.

Asif Vali, Business Manager of Amir Khan, said:

“Barry Hearn has out-priced his fighter having demanded an astronomical amount despite the fact an excellent offer was put forward to him. The deal put to McCloskey was a great one and looking back on it may be something he will regret.

“The challenger’s concern should not be about how much the champion is getting paid but the purse he will be getting – I wonder whether McCloskey has overlooked this.

“The offer put to McCloskey’s team was not ‘totally derisory’ as Hearn claimed but was a deal that most fighters in his position would jump at.”

Amir Khan was eager for this all British affair to go-ahead at the Manchester Evening News Arena on April 16th but will now revisit other options currently on the table.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2011, 07:58:33 PM »

Less than 20% is an excellent offer?

Khan doesn't have to fight him as he's not the mandatory so it's better for Paul to choose to go a different route if he's not happy with it.

Khan won't be left with too many options now for a fight that's happening in less than three months. Murray won't fight for nothing and there aren't too many more names the average armchair fan will have heard of at light welter for him to fight.
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2011, 08:42:06 PM »

In response to Asif Valli I would say that the champion's concern should not be what the challenger is getting paid but what he will be getting - I wonder if Khan has overlooked this?

It's not even 20% either Deck. It's 20% of tickets but no PPV or advertising revenue - I'd guess about 10% of the pot. You can rip the whole thing to shreds - McLoskey isn't a PPV fighter? Khan isn't really a proven PPV fighter either.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2011, 09:09:04 PM »

In response to Asif Valli I would say that the champion's concern should not be what the challenger is getting paid but what he will be getting - I wonder if Khan has overlooked this?

It's not even 20% either Deck. It's 20% of tickets but no PPV or advertising revenue - I'd guess about 10% of the pot. You can rip the whole thing to shreds - McLoskey isn't a PPV fighter? Khan isn't really a proven PPV fighter either.
Bar Murray who is left now for him to fight? Urango? Mabuza(who no one has heard of)?
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2011, 09:26:43 PM »

Kendall Holt if he wins tomorrow maybe. Zab? Morales?

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »

Kendall Holt if he wins tomorrow maybe. Zab? Morales?

Although Holt's lost his last two he is high risk, low reward. He's a bit of a lazy fighter when things go wrong but he does hit very hard. 

Judah's fighting Mabuza in March actually.

Isn't the Marquez -v- Morales fight signed now?

I don't think any of them would take the money Khan's thinking of to travel over to the UK.
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #73 on: January 28, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »

Guzman was the other one I thought of.

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #74 on: January 28, 2011, 11:31:17 PM »

Guzman was the other one I thought of.

He's facing a ban isn't he?
LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: