LiveFight
January 16, 2019, 08:54:43 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Prizefighter: not making financial sense to particpants ?  (Read 7620 times)
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »

http://www.livefight.com/news.php?news_id=1249&y=2011&m=01

It was another great night of action from the latest instalment of Prizefighter last night, courtesy of Matchroom Promotions and the Olympia in London.

We had stoppages, cuts, upsets and knockdowns in an eventful Light Heavyweight show.

Tony Dodson rightfully lead the pack as the tournament favourite and looked reborn with the additional weight. He took the fight to the naturally bigger Banbula and overcome his awkwardness with calculated agression.

Unfortunately the blend of styles and power punches thrown in the exchanges lead to a really nasty gash above Tony's right eye and it seemed as though his Prizefighter exit was imminent despite victory.

But the doctor ruled that Tony was fit to continue, that the damage was not affecting his ability to box, after the cut was brought under control.

But in the semi final, Tony's dominating stoppage win over Menay Edwards saw him receive another nasty cut and the existing damage become bloodier and worsen with each passing moment.

As soon as he was officially announced the victor he immeadiately sought out the changing area to rest and receive further treatment on the cut, as he readied himself for the final and a chance to grab the 32,000 in cash. Even in defeat, he would still look to collect 16,000 as the runner-up.

But the doctor ruled that the injuries sustained were sufficient for him to halt Tony's journey from going any further.

Sam Couzens, a substitute replacement then got the nod to fill Tony's shoes in the final. The replacement gave it a valiant challenge but was dispatched inside the second round by knockout, by a battle weary Dickinson.

But the ruling affords Sam the runner up prize of 16,000 and Tony, who'd earned his final place on merit (as well as blood and guts) will receive a much smaller thank you for his efforts, in the form of 8,000.

After training fees, hotels, tax and so forth - Tony Dodson will barely afford a weekend in Butlins. Wheras the substitute will walk away with about 4,000 per minute's earnings.

Joe Calzaghe, Nathan Cleverly and the Sky pundit team all concurred that it's a hard pill to swallow getting so close to the cash, yet to miss out due to injury.

It must be fairer to divide up the earnings on a pro-rata basis, whereby each successfully completed fight affords them a portion of the prize up for grabs.

If a contender arrives at the final, but unable to compete, then they should pick up the 16k on account of two successful fights. And the sub should only get the opportunity to fight for an 8k win and the trophy.

If a substitute with fresh legs, no cuts or war wounds takes the trophy, then finacial parity should be afforded them - but not the whole pot of 32,000.

Surely there are items that this author has not fully considered into the process to date. But in a nutshell if a finalist cannot compete on a doctor's ruling then he should earn more than the stand in substitute.

In closing, Matchroom have a wonderful product but they need to revise the rules in the spirit of fair play and those who have earned their crust should receive it. And those subs lucky to get airtime and a smaller amount of the pot in relationship to their input should be considered in the grand scheme of what their contribution actually was, apart from a lucky coin toss.

LiveFight
« on: January 30, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »

ralph cifaretto

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 03:00:00 PM »

Prizefighter's sh1t. A bunch of donkeys.
Bristol
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 03:06:28 PM »

Dodson should have had the 16k he made it to the final at the end of the day prizefighter is boring now and needs its format reviewing.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 04:00:34 PM »

Prize money should be based on number of fights won or completed. I think that Tony should have taken the 16k and the new lad should have had 8k or 16k if he won the final. That being said they know how the rules are when they sign up. However a change in the rules should be on the cards now in the interest of fairness.
styledoctor
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »

There are a number of flaws with the format which haven't been addressed. Because of the prize fund structure, consideration must be given to the loser (as long as he's not been knocked out) of a bout progressing, rather than a sub who can basically win up to 16 grand on a coin toss.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 05:32:50 PM »

CSCS
Punchy

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 05:45:31 PM »

Not a bad nights work if you are the sub!  Shocked

I agree alot of things need to be changed in Prizefighter but the essential idea is a good one, more fights, more interest in boxing, more people wanting to box etc. etc. in my opinion.

All it takes is one round
Dane Under

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »

The format is essentially taken from the old fair ground boxing booths. Back in those days there would not be a doctor to say if a cut was bad enough to continue therefore Tony would have taken his place in the final. However in this day and age things have changed so the format should change accordingly. Still a great format imo and better fighters will come.

Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brothers keeper and the finder of lost children. And i will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers
Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 01:27:45 PM »

Prizefighter's sh1t. A bunch of donkeys.

I little harsh!  Ok, it's not the biggest night of boxing, but does serve to keep the calendar moving and create/maintain interest in the sport.  And the winner usually gets some kind of challenge to a title.  If you accept it for what it is, things are not so grim.  Certainly the prize money needs to be adjusted for the 'reserves', but otherwise it's a worthwhile exercise
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »

BOXING CROWD BRAWL Prize Fighter Light Heavyweights

Slightly 'Off Topic'

But some footage not seen on the TV recorded by yours truly  Grin
MFC_SE15
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »

Slightly 'Off Topic'

Missed the very start of this so you've filled in the gap  Grin
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 02:08:18 PM »

Yeah i didnt catch it all on the phone though it did go on a fair while. That security did OK as he was the only one  Grin
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 02:34:12 PM »

Slightly 'Off Topic'

Yh I work for them woop....showsec massive....all shat themselves.
cloughie
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 02:42:29 PM »

tbh tim they did a good job there - at one point - if they'd bottled it and run off to get the old bill instead, it would've gotten very bad in those seats. as it was, that clip was just the start of it . . . 

STAND LADS
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 02:44:10 PM »

tbh tim they did a good job there - at one point - if they'd bottled it and run off to get the old bill instead, it would've gotten very bad in those seats. as it was, that clip was just the start of it . . . 

STAND LADS

Ah fair play.....they only employ the best n e ways  Wink......id of fort the old bill would have been in the building considering the footy fixtures next day.
cloughie
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »

same here mate, we allt hought it very odd the OB were'nt called as there was only a handful of security including the big black fella right in the middle of it who was a star. he was holding one of the mouthy twats from crayford and another lad came up from the side and sparked him out cold, he just slid out of the security guy's arms and disappeared in the seats. then that bloke who ko'd him was jumped on by the crayford lot and so forth and so forth etc etc.....intense!
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: