LiveFight
October 17, 2017, 09:35:54 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotto backs off on face-off  (Read 15185 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: March 09, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »

http://www.fightnews.com/

Cotto backs off on face-off

Photos by Chris Cozzone

Photo: Despite Ricardo Mayorga’s best efforts to coax Miguel Cotto into posing for a face-off, at today’s final press conference held at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, the feisty challenger glared in anger as the champion told him to “go take a picture with your mother.” After Cotto walked off the dais, Mayorga mouthed off a string of insults, calling Cotto a “maricon” (homosexual) for disrespecting the media. Stay tuned for more photos, quotes and a story.
LiveFight
« on: March 09, 2011, 11:17:49 PM »

westbo
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 11:20:38 PM »

Grin haha mayorga's still a feckin fruit loop.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 11:22:03 PM »

http://www.fightnewsextra.com/cc/2011/03-cottoeleconf.htm

Cotto, Mayorga set for crossroads clash

Report by Andreas Hale

Despite only two losses in 37 fights, Miguel Cotto is still battling skeptics who feel the Puerto Rican is washed up and in the twilight of his career.

It’s a troubling claim for a 30-year-old who was at one time considered one of the top ten pound for pound fighters in the world, with victories over Zab Judah, Shane Mosley, Joshua Clottey, Paulie Malignaggi and Carlos Quintana under his belt. But he still has to prove himself so the critics will finally get off his back and believe that Cotto is much more than damaged goods after devastating losses to Manny Pacquiao and Antonio Margarito.

On Saturday, March 12, Cotto will step into the ring with the always unpredictable Ricardo Mayorga (29-7-1) at the MGM Grand Garden in Las Vegas, NV to defend his WBA "Super" world light middleweight title.

As bad as Cotto needs this win, Mayorga feels that he is the hungrier of the two and is in a must-win situation.

“This is the fight where I impose my will so much so that if I don’t beat Cotto by knockout and I beat him by decision I don’t feel like I deserve a fight with (Manny) Pacquiao,” Mayorga said on a recent conference call while hinting to his lofty aspirations to take on Manny Pacquiao if he takes care of business against Cotto on Saturday night. But what would make Mayorga think that Cotto won’t be ready for their clash? After all, Mayorga has been berating Cotto for months ever since the fight was announced. On one hand, all of the talk could take Cotto out of his game. But on the other, he might be awakening a monster. Either way, Cotto won’t allow Mayorga’s words to get to him.

“The trash talking doesn’t matter because the only way he can beat me is with his skills,” Cotto says. “He doesn’t have skills, he’s just a brawler and I’m prepared for anything he can bring. We’re pretty sure we will beat him no matter what. We’re going to capitalize on a lot of his mistakes and I know he’s going to make mistakes in this fight.”

The “we” is Cotto and his trainer Emanuel Steward. Both Cotto and Steward agree that the time they’ve spent together has enhanced Cotto’s technique – along with a surgically repaired shoulder that should be at full strength.

“We’re more comfortable each other,” Steward explains. “Some of the things I’ve tried to teach him have become much more easy. He’s much faster and has more power. He will have one of his best performances against Ricardo Mayorga.”

Mayorga could care less of Cotto and Steward’s working relationship.

“Steward is a failure in this business,” the Nicaraguan said. “He got lucky in his career and helped (Thomas Hearns) who helped him get fame. How sad is it for Cotto who is trying to change so many things this late in the game it’s all going to play in my favor.”

Neither fighter anticipate this bout going past the fourth round. Both Cotto and Steward agree that this won’t be an easy fight but see many holes they will be able to exploit.

“Mayorga is very unorganized to some degree that makes it difficult to create a strategy. You have to have two or three plans,” Steward explains. “Whenever you fight a kamikaze fight like he is, it’s always dangerous. He’s always going for the home run. You have to be prepared to outbox and not let him bully you. The key to victory is going to be short punches. Mayorga has to have swinging room. Miguel is one of the best short distance punches I have ever worked with. I just don’t see it being a boring fight.”

Cotto agrees with Steward and adds his own two cents to the upcoming fight.

“I don’t care what he’s saying he’s always going to be talking. As everyone knows, you don’t win fights talking, you win them in the ring,” Cotto says. “I’m going everywhere, the body and upstairs. I just want to entertain fans the best way possible. “

But Mayorga promises to be a much different fighter than what they have previously seen and will show a new version of Ricardo Mayorga on March 12th.

“I’ve been adapting and implementing more of a boxing style and I’ve been working heavily on my power and those two things will pose a threat to Miguel,” Mayorga says. “I want to run him over. I’m going to have to chase him with some skates with the rockets on the back. I’m going to have to chase him down.”

One thing is for sure, these two are headed to a collision that will produce fan-friendly fireworks on Saturday night.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 11:26:34 PM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/photos-cotto-mayorga-final-vegas-presser-mega-gallery--36804

« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:32:37 PM by deck » Logged
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/steward-mayorga-erupt-trade-words-vegas-presser--36802

Steward, Mayorga Erupt: Trade Words at Vegas Presser

By Rick Reeno

A war of words erupted between junior middleweight Ricardo Mayorga, and Emanuel Steward, who trains WBA champion Miguel Cotto. As Steward began to address the media from the podium, Mayorga tried to cut him off, and the two of them began to trade words for at least ten minutes. Cotto-Mayorga happens on Saturday at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, with Showtime pay-per-view carrying the event.

"I don't care how hard you train. You are getting knocked out and it won't take long either. You could take your shirt off. You could get butt-naked on here. You are out of your class. You going to hospital afterwards. The only flag that [Don King] is going to waive afterwards is a white flag. You are getting knocked out from a left hook to the body," Steward said.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 11:36:44 PM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 11:39:49 PM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/mayorga-cotto-half-gay-puerto-rico-supports-me--36784

Mayorga: Cotto is Half-Gay, Puerto Rico Supports Me!

By Jhonny Gonzalez

Former champion Ricardo Mayorga (27-7, 23KOs) has continued the insults. Upon arriving to Las Vegas for Saturday's fight against WBA 154-pound king Miguel Cotto (35-2, 28KOs) at the MGM Grand, Mayorga spoke to reporters and attacked Cotto by questioning the boxer's sexuality and stating vowing to end the fight by knockout in four rounds.

Mayorga had questioned Cotto's sexuality in recent weeks. Some of the comments angered Human rights activist Pedro Julio Serrano.

"I'm speaking truth. Cotto is afraid of me. He's in terror and should be sorry for having signed a contract to fight me. The Puerto Ricans are with me and I think Cotto is half gay," Mayorga said. "Personally, he annoys me. I do not like him as the boxer and I am going to remove him of the boxing. I'm going to retire him by knocking him out in four rounds."

Every Cloud
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 11:55:33 PM »

Cotto going to end this in double quick time
joehw

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2011, 12:09:51 AM »

Hope Cotto breaks him down for the length of the fight.
jim1973
V.I.P

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2011, 01:37:01 AM »

Cotto willl take this fight by round 8 if he is smart, the only way Mayorga wins is a wild punch..........Cotto ko R6 imo.
El Matador

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2011, 03:26:09 AM »

Mayorga look's in good nick i hope he back's it up come fight night ,i think it will be a decent fight.
Stamina will be Mayorga's biggest problem he'll be gassed out after 6-7 rounds,and then Cotto will destroy him.
Methodical4u
Executive Member

I cheat :-)

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 04:38:28 AM »

First off Mayorga forgot that in addition to Hearns there was also that little known guy named Lennox Lewis that Steward trained. It's all hype anyway and the guy who mouths off the most is typically the guy who is more scared.
Fightin Irish
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 07:38:43 AM »

Be lucky if this goes 6 rounds!
Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2011, 07:54:47 AM »

All this is just t get ppl talking about d fight, this is gonna be a murder scene.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2011, 09:22:05 AM »

Bad mouthing is so much more fun that respect.

I think the first couple of rounds should be good before Cotto snaps him in two later on.

Team Groves
King Cotto
Executive Member

If you don't learn from it, experience means shit

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2011, 09:26:57 AM »

first of all, thanks deck and IQ
Cotto never 'backed off', did he  Wink

Cotto's gonna continue to box as he did against Foreman; stiff jab, tight defense and better footwork than in the past; based on that, he'll figure out Mayorga for a couple of rounds, start imposing himself and then down him at some point but he's not gonna rush it or brawl with him; this Cotto is too mobile; I also think it's Cotto by stoppage anywhere between round 5 and 10; I have all believe in the man and am really excited to see him brush that bum aside to go on and avenge at least one of his losses  Cheesy

'Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.' Sigmund Freud
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: