LiveFight
October 19, 2017, 07:03:46 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cotto backs off on face-off  (Read 15210 times)
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »

first of all, thanks deck and IQ
Cotto never 'backed off', did he  Wink

Cotto's gonna continue to box as he did against Foreman; stiff jab, tight defense and better footwork than in the past; based on that, he'll figure out Mayorga for a couple of rounds, start imposing himself and then down him at some point but he's not gonna rush it or brawl with him; this Cotto is too mobile; I also think it's Cotto by stoppage anywhere between round 5 and 10; I have all believe in the man and am really excited to see him brush that bum aside to go on and avenge at least one of his losses  Cheesy

Stweard is massively confident that his Cotto will not only give Manny a hell of a fight but also knock him out, its a fight they are planning on pushing for after a this one and Margarito.
He says Cotto was embarrased with himself when he seen how he fought Manny.
Saying is different to doing though as we all know  Wink

Team Groves
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2011, 09:35:10 AM »

King Cotto
Executive Member

If you don't learn from it, experience means shit

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2011, 10:04:20 AM »

Stweard is massively confident that his Cotto will not only give Manny a hell of a fight but also knock him out, its a fight they are planning on pushing for after a this one and Margarito.
He says Cotto was embarrased with himself when he seen how he fought Manny.
Saying is different to doing though as we all know  Wink

thanks for the info Aaron; I had not heard that but at least to some extent it reflects my opinion;

1) Cotto could give Manny at least a hell of a fight
2) if a second fight happens - and somehow I believe Cotto is out to avenge both losses - he should defo not go for a kayo against Manny; Manny is beatable but only by a fast technical boxer; i.e. Cotto needs to box him, Fight Manny and you get destroyed.
3) I do not give too much importance to that fight against Manny (apart from 'potential' psychological damage, which can also be turned into an advantage) THAT was not Cotto, no way

IMO what Cotto is doing with Steward: he is reinventing himself and turning himself into the best boxer he can possibly be technically and cerebrally; this takes a lot of training and a few fights, as new neuropaths have to be established and reinforced; hence, Cotto is boxing in a more deliberate cerebral way now and cannot permit himself to get drawn into a slug fest where he neglects his jab, defence and footwork; he is still young and committed enough to pull it off; his performance against Foreman was an indication; I expect him to do similar and improve on that against Mayorga; that's why I think it will take him a few more rounds coz he needs to be deliberate; of course if/when the chance comes, he'll take it, as he will not lose his fighting instinct

Cotto, imo, will not stay at light middleweight; it's not his weight class; it was a clever strategic move to take the belt off a fairly weak champion and get some credibility and confidence back

If Cotto gives us a good performance at the weekend, we can reasonably expect him to call out Margarito and also to go down to welter again. After three fights (mayorga and margarito included), I think Cotto would be ready for another go at Manny

Sorry, I just had to get this off of my chest  Wink
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:07:37 AM by King Cotto » Logged

'Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.' Sigmund Freud
Skav
Executive Member

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2011, 01:34:36 PM »

thanks for the info Aaron; I had not heard that but at least to some extent it reflects my opinion;

1) Cotto could give Manny at least a hell of a fight
2) if a second fight happens - and somehow I believe Cotto is out to avenge both losses - he should defo not go for a kayo against Manny; Manny is beatable but only by a fast technical boxer; i.e. Cotto needs to box him, Fight Manny and you get destroyed.
3) I do not give too much importance to that fight against Manny (apart from 'potential' psychological damage, which can also be turned into an advantage) THAT was not Cotto, no way

Manny always seems to make fighters look bad when he fights them. A second fight is worthless, Cotto was surviving from the 4th on.

King Cotto
Executive Member

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2011, 01:44:31 PM »

Manny always seems to make fighters look bad when he fights them. A second fight is worthless, Cotto was surviving from the 4th on.

that wasn't Cotto... opinions differ... we may never find out anyway

'Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.' Sigmund Freud
Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »

that wasn't Cotto... opinions differ... we may never find out anyway

It was cotto, he faught that way his entire career. I really don't know how uve come to all these conclusions  based on a shitty fight against foreman who lets face it is a joke n no world champ. I'm a massive cotto fan but pac massacres him every day off the week.
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2011, 02:30:04 PM »

westbo
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 02:55:55 PM »

It was cotto, he faught that way his entire career. I really don't know how uve come to all these conclusions  based on a shitty fight against foreman who lets face it is a joke n no world champ. I'm a massive cotto fan but pac massacres him every day off the week.

iq, just because his trainer is telling us all how cotto can beat everybody in the world now it doesnt make it true....

for the record i hope mayorga wins but i'm not holding out much hope.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 03:59:05 PM »

I expect Mayorga to give Cotto a torrid time and though Miguel should win, it wouldn't shock me if Mayorga sprang the upset. He's a wild puncher with a very solid chin who comes out bombing from crazy angles. He presents definite danger, especially against a guy in Cotto who has been in plenty of hard fights himself. The only fella to have an 'easy' time with Mayorga was DelaHoya who took Mayorga out of his fight early with a lightening left hook. But even so Oscar still had to absorb some leather notably the uppercut.

The early rounds of Cotto/Mayorga will be very interesting. I expect Cotto to try and stick to a diciplined boxing approach, but that won't be all that easy against a driven nutter like Mayorga, who'll be coming out desperate to induce a slugfest.
King Cotto
Executive Member

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 04:03:54 PM »

Well, that's how people's opinions differ. Let's say, I have more faith than you in Cotto and see what happens.

King Cotto
Executive Member

« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 04:05:17 PM »

iq, just because his trainer is telling us all how cotto can beat everybody in the world now it doesnt make it true....

for the record i hope mayorga wins but i'm not holding out much hope.

have you read the thread?

King Cotto
Executive Member

« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 04:07:42 PM »

I expect Mayorga to give Cotto a torrid time and though Miguel should win, it wouldn't shock me if Mayorga sprang the upset. He's a wild puncher with a very solid chin who comes out bombing from crazy angles. He presents definite danger, especially against a guy in Cotto who has been in plenty of hard fights himself. The only fella to have an 'easy' time with Mayorga was DelaHoya who took Mayorga out of his fight early with a lightening left hook. But even so Oscar still had to absorb some leather notably the uppercut.

The early rounds of Cotto/Mayorga will be very interesting. I expect Cotto to try and stick to a diciplined boxing approach, but that won't be all that easy against a driven nutter like Mayorga, who'll be coming out desperate to induce a slugfest.

I agree. That's why he will make it a stern test for Cotto's more disciplined approach to boxing.

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »

I agree. That's why he will make it a stern test for Cotto's more disciplined approach to boxing.

Yeah its a fight that will certainly test the work Cotto and Steward have been doing in camp. Miguel kept it nice and controlled against Foreman, but Foreman had nothing to rattle Cotto with. Mayorga on the other hand will be hacking away like a maniac for as long as he's able.

I like both fighters here, Cotto cos he's such a stoic fella willing to take on anybody. And Mayorga cos he's a maverick. He's got no class but he's a character and he can fight a bit too. Mayorga's crazy, but i've heard it said crazy like a fox. Method to the apparent madness.

I think this will be a very watchable fight.
King Cotto
Executive Member

« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2011, 04:19:50 PM »

Yeah its a fight that will certainly test the work Cotto and Steward have been doing in camp. Miguel kept it nice and controlled against Foreman, but Foreman had nothing to rattle Cotto with. Mayorga on the other hand will be hacking away like a maniac for as long as he's able.

I like both fighters here, Cotto cos he's such a stoic fella willing to take on anybody. And Mayorga cos he's a maverick. He's got no class but he's a character and he can fight a bit too. Mayorga's crazy, but i've heard it said crazy like a fox. Method to the apparent madness.

I think this will be a very watchable fight.

Same here. I believe Cotto will prevail but it would amount to so much more if he could do it in style. While I am pretty positive, I also recognize that at this stage it is a fight-by-fight thing with Cotto coz of the losses, the damage and the attempt to reinvent himself. Hope he will last for years to come.

westbo
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2011, 04:40:23 PM »

have you read the thread?

yes, have you ?
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2011, 04:58:47 PM »

Cotto will put Mayorga away in 8 rds.
Not sure he has the foot speed to beat Manny tho... However he can give him a much sterner test than he delivered last time.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2011, 05:01:35 PM »

I think that's because Cotto was drawn into a slugfest too early and sustained too much damage early on and his corner were too useless to tell him to stay calm, maintain his distance with the jab and try to nullify Pac's speed to some extent. After Cotto fought more or less a perfect first round his corner told him he could start to back Pacquiao up. To say that to Cotto going into round 2 was a ridiculous piece of advice, which Cotto stupidly followed and when he found that Pacquiao's speed would kill him in an all-out exchange he lost his cool totally, he lost his poise and organisation and that's where Pacquioa engineered the openings to drop him and bruise him up.

Cotto had small pockets of the fight thereafter where he still boxed quite well, whether that's because Pacquiao took several breathers I don't know but I am convinced he could put up at least a much better showing against Pac with some genuine knowledge in his corner. Cotto's jab had decent success but a big issue has been made of how shite his footwork and balance was, and that is something Steward has worked hard on with Cotto, therefore I would expect Cotto to regain his balance and his defensive poise if he were to fall short with his jab against Pacquiao and not leave such easy openings for Pacquiao's quick counter shots.

Personally I hope the fight happens, provided Cotto deals with Mayorga and Margarito. The Margarito fight is the one that worries me because for the first 6 rounds of the first fight Cotto was as good as I've ever seen him, but his punches only served to make Margarito huntn him down with more intensity as the fight wore on. Loaded gloves or not, he was too much of an animal even for a guy who was outclassing him comprehensively. If Cotto manages a convincing win against Margarito then I would definitely be up for a Pacquiao rematch. I'm not sure the result would be much different but I would expect a much more professional approach from Cotto and I do believe he could make it a much tougher fight for Pacquiao second time round. Could be wrong but I'd love to see it either way.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: