LiveFight
February 23, 2018, 10:43:52 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Boxing Venues/Arenas you've been to?  (Read 13142 times)
WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« on: June 13, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »

Boxing Venues/Arenas you've been to?

Was just wondering what boxing venues people have been to and what they thought of them regardless of the fighting action?

I have only been to a few.

The 1st fight I attended; Lennox Lewis vs Frank Bruno at the old Cardiff Arms Park Stadium - a crowd of approx 30,000 in the open air with a Great atmosphere.
Joe Calzaghe made his debut on the same bill.

I've seen Joe Calzaghe twice at the Millennium Stadium in Cardiff and while I had cheap seats I had a good view and the venue is really good for holding boxing matches. Stewarding was plentiful and so were facilities. The closing roof turns it into a Great indoor arena.

Also I have been to the 02 Arena in London, which for the price of the ticket (£80) I had a superb view and was pretty close to the ring for the David Haye vs Enzo Maccarinelli fight. The arena itself is perfect for boxing to watch though I thought the facilities weren't geared up for a crowd of 20,000 and stewarding was very poor along with leaving at a late time - transport was not great getting from there.

Noise levels and atmosphere in all were tremendous.

So please post your experiences of venues from around the World.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 07:11:29 PM by WelshDevilRob » Logged

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
LiveFight
« on: June 13, 2009, 07:01:32 PM »

luckyphil

« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 07:07:12 PM »

I was lucky enough to get to Madison Square Garden for a big fight when I was in New York. The week before I had been at the Braehead Arena in Glasgow for a World Title fight and they were worlds apart.

The City of Manchester Stadium for Hatton/Lazcano is the biggets venue I have been in for a fight.

One day I would love to get to Las Vegas for a big fight.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 07:08:11 PM »

MGM Grand was brilliant and i cant fault it, shit results both time however lol

City of Manchester Stadium - Brilliant for atmosphere but we had shit seats because of the stupid cannopy over the ring blocking the view badly.

MEN arena- same as the mgm grand but better results

Team Groves
Alba
Executive Member

"For what is a man,What has he got ?"

@Albagary
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 02:49:37 PM »

Men Areana
MSG
Thomas Mack Centre

closer to home :
Meadowbank
Kelvin Hall
Leve Lad
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »

The M.E.N back in the day was brilliant - great view, great atmosphere, great transport links etc  Cool

Hated The City of Manchester Stadium - shit transport and very poor view.

The O2 could be the best in the UK if the tubes on, the tunnels are open etc but if its an early morning fight its a nightmare to get back from  Tongue

Blackpool, The Tower - Brilliant, great view and great atmosphere. Obviously the location isnt to some peoples taste but its good for a lively night out after

Nottingham, Trent/Ice Arena - Brilliant view and good atmosphere. However they need to take a serious look at the ventilation. Last fight I went to they were fainting due to the heat. We left before the main event and watched it in the hotel room because of the heat.  Tongue I nearly sent a letter of complaint into the arena and looking back I probably should have.  Undecided

Wigan, Robin Park Arena - Bit difficult to get to if your not driving but a good little arena. Bars a bit small but generally there a good atmosphere with plenty of local boxers fighiting there. I like it there  Cool

Boston, Bank North Garden?? -  Great arena, great atmosphere, very good location, great city  Cheesy

Vegas, Thomas & Mack - Great arena, good atmosphere - very awkward to get too and from.

Vegas, MGM Garden Arena - Great arena, great location probably the best ive been to date.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 03:06:42 PM by Leve Lad » Logged

"I'm not saying I have any pearls of wisdom, but I have a few questions to ask."  Jim Kerr
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 03:03:35 PM »

Lane
V.I.P
Executive Member

I HATE AMIR KHAN

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 03:05:47 PM »

coms mint atmosphere and gd view from ringside

02 mint venue great atmosphere, crap transport links at end of night ruin it

nottingham arena gd venue central , easy to get to and an awesome crowd

Gooner

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 04:46:55 PM »

York Hall, Bethnal Green has a special atmosphere and there is not a bad seat in the place.

Alexandra Palace wasn't great.

Thomas and Mack Vegas was the best atmosphere i've ever been in but that might have had something to do with the hitman.
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 04:56:55 PM »

Nottingham, Trent/Ice Arena - Brilliant view and good atmosphere. However they need to take a serious look at the ventilation. Last fight I went to they were fainting due to the heat. We left before the main event and watched it in the hotel room because of the heat.  Tongue I nearly sent a letter of complaint into the arena and looking back I probably should have.  Undecided

You big jessie  Tongue

Leve Lad
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2009, 05:02:07 PM »

You big jessie  Tongue

I aint kidding you fella it was awful. Bar the heat its a belting arena  Cool

"I'm not saying I have any pearls of wisdom, but I have a few questions to ask."  Jim Kerr
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2009, 05:02:56 PM »

Millenium Stadium in Cardiff-  major pain in the arse to get inside the ground and to find my block. Not the best view either but a good atmosphere.

Eastlands was easy enough to get to for me because I go there on a regular basis to watch City, so parking was easy. The view from my seat was piss poor though, I can safely rule that stadiums are not good boxing venues from my experiences.

The M.E.N. and the Thomas and Mack Centre as venues are pretty much identical I think in terms of view and size.

The MGM is probably my favourite. Good view even from the back, good atmosphere, easy to get to, and had a bit of an unusual feel to it. To walk into a small corridor in the MGM hotel and suddenly end up in a 17,000 seat arena, was a bit surreal, but very enjoyable nonetheless.
jim1973
V.I.P

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »

Not been to many.......i have always dreamed of going to vegas.
brocktonbomber
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »

MGM Grand (Las Vegas) I agree with those who have already said what a great arena this is.
Orleans Ballroom (Las Vegas) Superb place for a evening of 'club fights', not a bad seat in the house, although it's oftentimes standing-room only.
The Joint @ Hard Rock (Las Vegas) I went to the 'new' Joint the night before Pacquiao-Hatton. Good place, good sites lines. Having hot waitresses bring drinks to your seats is an added plus.
Boardwalk Hall (Atlantic City) Decent place to see a big fight in AC.
Lumpinee Stadium (Bangkok)  Actually a muay thai boxing venue although I did see the WBC flyweight title bout between Wonjongkam and Hussein there in the middle of a muay thai card. Crazy atmosphere, hot, humid and a little third world. Delicous, inexpensive food all around the outside of the venue.
Savannah Civic Center (Savannah, Georgia) Generic arena in any small city, USA. Small enough that most seats provide a decent view.
Toyota Center (Houston, Texas) Big, modern arena. Club seats downstairs are great, but the top rows of the balcony are far, far away from the ring. Great atmosphere on the night I was there (JMM-Diaz).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:10:14 PM by brocktonbomber » Logged
Alba
Executive Member

"For what is a man,What has he got ?"

@Albagary
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2009, 07:01:37 PM »

Millenium Stadium in Cardiff-  major pain in the arse to get inside the ground and to find my block. Not the best view either but a good atmosphere.

Eastlands was easy enough to get to for me because I go there on a regular basis to watch City, so parking was easy. The view from my seat was piss poor though, I can safely rule that stadiums are not good boxing venues from my experiences.

The M.E.N. and the Thomas and Mack Centre as venues are pretty much identical I think in terms of view and size.
The MGM is probably my favourite. Good view even from the back, good atmosphere, easy to get to, and had a bit of an unusual feel to it. To walk into a small corridor in the MGM hotel and suddenly end up in a 17,000 seat arena, was a bit surreal, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

saME LAYOUT ,but i felt the thomas and mack centre was a bit more spaced out and less steeper at the top.
Haymaker
V.I.P

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 09:38:39 AM »

Excell in London is rubbish for boxing!!!

Also I have been to,

York Hall, Bethnal Green.
O2, London.
COMS, Manchester.
MGM Grand, Las Vegas.

All good venues and all for different resons.

“Kill the body and the head will die.” - Joe Frazier
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:40:08 AM »

York Hall is one of the very best i've been to.

LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: