LiveFight
April 25, 2018, 08:59:57 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craig McEwan interview  (Read 1303 times)
Alba
Executive Member

"For what is a man,What has he got ?"

@Albagary
« on: July 28, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »

http://garyreilly.blogspot.com/2009/07/craig-mcewani-was-suppose-to-fight.html

Craig McEwan Interview,

Recently seeing the effect that Freddie Roach has had on Amir Khan its safe to say that there are some people who have high expectations on Craig McEwan. While its maybe not the weight of a nation,the opportunity to prove that Roach's faith has not been waisted is as much motivation than anyone needs.

I caught up with the former Commonwealth Bronze medallists to get his insight on how things have progressing for him .Since I last spoke to him Craig has extended his record to 16-0,however its fair to say he has a mixed bag of opponents

“All my fights have been tough and I have learnt a lot. My first fight (of the year) was against Ivan Stovall,he was a bit of a trash talker. I stopped in him in the seventh round,but he kept coming up. There was another guy I fought in Vegas,but he never showed up”

He adds “Then there was Brian Vera form the contender,he gave me a good go and tested me. My last fight was against Darnell Boone,but I had a hairline fracture in my hand .I didn't really punch till about ten minuets going into the ring ,the first 5 rounds went well ,and the rest just went to pot”

Working out of the Wild Card and with Freddie Roach in some demand for one of McEwans fights he had to rely on the services of Pepper Roach,albeit it was only for a short time but this didn't really effect him much “It was a little bit different as Pepper does things a bit different.”

In fighting the experienced Brian Vera he was headlining for the first time ans was also being shown nationwide on American TV on the popular spam show “Friday fight night”.McEwan reflects that this didn't really phase him “It happened so fast I didn't really have time to think about. It happened in fort worth Texas and it was roasting.”

He adds “I didn't think about heading it,i thought about the game plan an anything else. When I watch it back I do think I could have stepped it up a bit and knocked him out .He's a tough cookie,but I am tougher”he laughs .

While having to put up with fighting Brian Vera,He was put in the strange situation that there was no chasing facilities at the venue (which was in a car park in the town centre!) so he had to get changed in the hotel and make his way to the ring from two blocks away “We were two blocks down the road in an air conditioned hotel. The room was freezing so I said to Freddie I need to warm up. So I had all my gear to warm up and I thought there was a car to pick us up,but there wasn't”

Smiling and laughing he adds further “so we had to walk up form the hotel;Me,Freddie and my manager and me all gloved up .it was like a ring walk form two blocks away!then when I am standing at the traffic lights,someone asks 'are you a boxer?' I replied 'Yeah what gave it away'”

Starting out at middleweight it would appear that he is carving out a career at light middleweight. I asked if he could clarify the current situation “Its still ongoing,my manager is a crafty bugger. He thinks ill be better at light middleweight,and there are bigger fights like the Angulo's and the Citrons and the Duddys. My last fight was 158 (light middleweight limit is 154),so slowly and surely im getting there.With the right training and eating I should be able to make it”

His last fight against experienced journeyman Darnell Boone ,McEwan didn't sparkle in it ,this lead to a lot of criticism of him. I had heard from the McEwan camp that he had carried an injury going into the fight ,Craig spoke frankly and opened up about it “The preparation was there,none. I was fit,i did lots of running and shadow boxing. But the boxing side of it wasn't there. I had a hairline fracture on my hand and I was supposed to fight on the 18th of July (on the Marquez/Mayweather under-card) but it got pulled .That got rescheduled to September 19th”

He then mentions how the Boone fight was hastily arranged “ So they then decided to give me an eight rounder against Darnell Boone. They said he has a good record,but he's better than his record and fought few good guys. I was working on the hand constantly Freddie was taping it up,i didn't really punch at all,no sparring no nothing”

He recalls about the fight itself and the criticism he received after the fight “the first four or five rounds I thought I did really well ,but then I lost track .The criticism is there so ill take it ,it wasn't the best preparation for a fight. But I will take some of it on board”

While being based out in America ,the fighters critics still raise the point that he should try and fight over here against British opponents. While this is becoming a more frequent asked question of McEwan I felt I would give him the opportunity to answer it ,and hopefully bury the question for good “I would take a fight against a British fighter,especially if it was in Scotland. Some of the critics say to me that I am not good enough to fight for American boxing,but good enough for British title.so what does that say about British boxing?I want to learn from the best that Is why I am out”

While its something he cant see happening in the near future it is something that he can see happening at some time “My ideal goal is to win a world title in America and come in back door and defend it over here. I want to fight at Easter road!”

McEwan has been in Los Angeles for a good few years now,and has settled into the American Way of doing things and with his promoter,Golden boy I am sure he will surge forward with his world title ambitions quite well.
LiveFight
« on: July 28, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »

WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 07:45:52 PM »

Great read as always, Reilly.

To be honest I only heard of McEwan a couple of fights back and it's good to see him plying his trade over in the US and he is at possibly the best Gym in the World. Credit to him for going overthere.

I, for one will start paying closer attention to McEwans career.

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
V.I.P
Executive Member

Team Sevens

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 08:46:43 PM »

IQ mate cheers for that, he is kind of under the radar over there, would like to see him over here for a fight, would imagine he would want to stay though and prove a lot of people wrong if they say 'he isn't good enough to fight in America'  :Smiley
Heathen
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 09:07:36 PM »

Not been overly impressed with him, particularly when he starts Switch Hitting - he just loses some of his fluidity.

Hope I'm wrong and he goes onto greater things
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: