LiveFight
October 23, 2017, 04:23:17 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It was the carpets fault  (Read 4946 times)
the_budweiser

« on: June 14, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »

johm murray weigh in
LiveFight
« on: June 14, 2009, 01:01:02 PM »

telboy66
V.I.P

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 02:58:58 PM »

I don't know what they class as shagpile carpet in Wigan but down my way we look for something deeper than a carpet tile,
his whole team knew he was overweight when they arrived at the weigh in yet they acted surprized when he was over instead of the big limo it would have been better if he had run the last mile. I'm sorry but there can be no excuses  for basic errors. I'm a big fan of Johns but someone has slipped up big time here & at a cost to John, ok he will get first shot to win back his title but not at champs cut plus he will most likely get a fine from the board. all in a good nights work

it's better to have been a hasbeen than & never wasa
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 07:02:10 PM »

Agreed.

Old school methods would have meant he would have RUN to the weigh in wearing a body suit.

jim1973
V.I.P

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2009, 07:04:08 PM »

carpet?Huh? are you sure??? that is the best excuse i have heard in a while.
MadMariner
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:20:19 PM »

I heard he'd weighed in ok  3 times at the gym before they left for the weigh in,  and that the scales at the gym are set exactly the same as the weigh in scales (how I don't know).  Also that at the weigh in the needle kept waivering due to the scales being set on carpet.
Did they arrive too late to give him a little time to shift less than an ounce,  or did he get the time and still not make the weigh  Huh? Huh? Huh?
Excuses maybe and it can't be undone now anyway.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 07:20:19 PM »

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 07:41:03 PM »

I heard he'd weighed in ok  3 times at the gym before they left for the weigh in,  and that the scales at the gym are set exactly the same as the weigh in scales (how I don't know).  Also that at the weigh in the needle kept waivering due to the scales being set on carpet.
Did they arrive too late to give him a little time to shift less than an ounce,  or did he get the time and still not make the weigh  Huh? Huh? Huh?Excuses maybe and it can't be undone now anyway.

I think they arrived late so he only had 5 minutes to try and make the weight after failing the first time
Leve Lad
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:10:39 PM »

Weigh in scales are calibrated a number of times during the day of the weigh in and generally all set on a very firm surface. A soft surface would definetly effect the reading unles the fighter could stand perfectly still and balance on a perfectly horizontal scale base.

That said it was very unproffessional to come to the weigh in so late thus giving a very small amount of time if he was slightly over to shift the excess lard  Embarrassed Very poor excuse to blame it on the carpet but it could have an effect on the reading. Grasping at straws really  Undecided

"I'm not saying I have any pearls of wisdom, but I have a few questions to ask."  Jim Kerr
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:38:31 PM »

Him being on an all night bender in the Zuri bar in Vegas 6 weeks before the fight probably didn't help him
Staffy
V.I.P

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 12:53:50 PM »

The scales were not as they should have been and that has been mentioned by others outside of the Murray camp too  Lips Sealed

Another dead give away was if you look at Scott's face when he weighs in at 9 stone 8lb, he has a certain  Huh? on his face as he knew that a few minutes earlier he was lighter than that on a coulpe of other scales.

Jobsworths  :Smiley
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 12:58:24 PM »

Carpets definately do affect the scales, but as others have said John was tanking it in Vegas less than 6 weeks ago.

I was really worried that it would affect his performance but I thought he looked very good again. I was also pleased to hear him say in his interview that things appear to have been sorted out with Hennessey and that the Thaxton fight appears almost sorted for September.

I don't think John should be messing around with voluntary defences of a British title when he is 27-0. The way he fights he's only going to have a limited shelf life and I expected him to be European Champion fairly shortly after he won Young Boxer of the Year.

I really, really hope John can beat Thaxton and then win the European title. I'm not sure if he is good enough to make a big impact at world level, but I do believe he can be a very good European Champion.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
Staffy
V.I.P

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 01:07:16 PM »

as others have said John was tanking it in Vegas less than 6 weeks ago.

It's no excuse, he should have been on his game and was obviously an issue, everything changes in boxing in a split second so take from it what you can as in a blink of an eye it could all be over.

Harsh lesson learned maybe, but certainly harsh but fair and of that there is no dispute
stephen thompson
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 01:36:11 PM »

i dont know the ins and outs of this but imo showing up late for the weigh in speaks volumes to me.

Happy Holidays is what the terrorists say so.....merry Christmas one and all

Lane
V.I.P
Executive Member

I HATE AMIR KHAN

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 06:59:43 PM »

does seems to be abit iffy likes someone has already said lawton looked shocked at weighing at 9st 8 i think john is too much of a professional not to be on weight knowing that this could be his year to really make a spark and push for him getting on the world scene

hoover
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 08:45:31 PM »

Definitely harsh but definitely fair, they know the rules!
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: