LiveFight
October 23, 2017, 03:05:22 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lennox Lewis to enter in boxing Hall Of Fame  (Read 5345 times)
marty-rh
V.I.P

marty-rh
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »

CANASTOTA, N.Y. (AP)—Three-time heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis is among the latest class inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

He’s joined American bantamweight champion Orlando Canizales and South African junior lightweight champion Brian Mitchell.

The three boxers will be inducted Sunday. They were voted in by members of the Boxing Writers Association and a panel of international boxing historians.

Lewis retired in 2003 with a record of 41-2-1, including 32 KOs, and enters the hall in his first year of eligibility. Canizales retired in 1999 with a record of 50-5-1.

Mitchell, the first South African boxer to be inducted into the hall in Canastota, N.Y., finished his career 45-1-3 with 21 KOs.

Sorry if this has already been posted. Great news for Lennox! What you guy's and gals think? Deserved? i think so Grin
LiveFight
« on: June 14, 2009, 07:40:33 PM »

MadMariner
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 09:03:02 PM »

Definitely deserved.
Loved watching Lewis fight,  brilliant ambassador of the sport.
dave j

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 08:31:38 AM »

just had a look at brian mitchell on box rec,,he fought a guy called jacob morake in 1985,,won by tko in the 12th,,morake died of the injurys sustained in that fight,,
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 08:37:52 AM »

That's great for Lennox and well deserved. He never ducked a fight in his life.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »

just had a look at brian mitchell on box rec,,he fought a guy called jacob morake in 1985,,won by tko in the 12th,,morake died of the injurys sustained in that fight,,

There was a decent article on Brian Mitchell in Boxing Monthly a couple of issues ago.

Good on Lennox though, a well deserved place in the Hall of Fame.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 08:50:23 AM »

Tito
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »

Well done Lennox throughly deserved entrant in the HOF.  Smiley

G-man
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:44:46 AM »

He wasn't my cup of tea but it's fully deserved.

Well done Lennox.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 12:13:36 PM »

Thoroughly deserved - the last great heavyweight?
SCOTTY'S SOBER

TOOTIE FRUITY

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 12:35:56 PM »

well deserved imo , u would have a case for saying lewis could have beaten every HW in history.
WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »

Lennox Lewis described his career as a 'magical dance' on his enshrinement in the International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Lewis was the marquee name in Canastota's Class of 2009 which also included Mexican warrior Orlando Canizales, British boxing writer Hugh McIlvanney and veteran American broadcaster Larry Merchant.

The 1988 Olympic gold medallist sought not to talk about the legendary matches against the likes of Razor Ruddock, Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson in his career, but the positive elements boxing brought to his life.

"Our sport is usually looked at as a brutal, savage sport," Lennox said.

"I see it as a sweet science, a magical dance. For me, I just wanted to live up to that, and keep the dignity and the humanistic aspect and the positiveness of it, so that people will remember that's what I did for boxing.

"One wouldn't think a 14-year-old boy who did shadow boxing in front of the mirror imitating the Muhammad Ali shuffle would actually be on this stage. I am really humble...this is a great honor."

Canizales, who had two epic battles with Sunderland's Billy Hardy during his six-year reign as IBF bantamweight champion, also spoke about the life lessons he gained from boxing.

"Boxing has taught me a lot in life; that dedication, discipline and determination will pay off in the long run and not to be easily swayed by obstacles and bumps in the road," Canizales said.
Source:www.setanta.com

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
jim1973
V.I.P

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 06:38:01 PM »

well deserved imo
WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 06:42:00 PM »

Great article by the very talented writer and mate of mine Jeff Meyers Smiley

Why I Miss Lennox Lewis, Why You Should Also
Jeff Meyers

6/3/2009

Watching Eddie Chambers and Samuel Peter fight the most boring and uninspired “crossroads” bout ever nearly caused me to tear up my heavyweight division lovers membership card (see http://boxingconfidential.com/articles.php?id=6672 for my article on that point).

The only fighters that keep me semi-interested these days are the twin tower Ukrainian siblings Vitali and Wladimir Klitschko. The brothers are the only boxers in the division who train hard and show sufficient skill, dedication and heart to make heavyweight fights watchable.

Still, I am only a recovering heavyweight addict. I cling to the hope that someone will come along and reignite the public’s interest in the division.

I miss Lennox Lewis.

Why, you ask, when Lewis didn’t exactly mesmerize the public as champion? Because Lewis was an underappreciated boxer who never got the credit he deserved. The man had heart, didn’t dodge a single fighter, and dominated the division before retiring at the top.

Lewis’ achievements make him one of the top ten heavyweights ever. Lewis lost only twice, to Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman, and avenged both defeats. Along with Gene Tunney and Rocky Marciano, he is one of three heavyweight champs to have beaten every man he faced as a heavy.

Actually, with a little serendipity, Lewis could have retired undefeated. While I don’t want to detract from McCall’s victory — as his strategy (forged by Emmanuel Steward) of waiting for the precise moment to counter Lennox’s right hand was obviously brilliant — if you watch a tape of the bout, McCall’s eyes were actually closed when he threw the knockout punch. The fight was arguably stopped too early too; check it on YouTube for yourself if you disagree. Lucky? Maybe, but a loss is a loss so it’s a moot point.

As for the loss to Rahman, again kismet played a part. Right before the knockout, Lewis was walking backwards until he hit the ropes and bounced up (“boing!”) just as Rahman threw his infamous right hand bomb that left Lennox on queer street. If Lewis doesn’t spring up in perfect position for the Rock to hit him, maybe the punch misses, or maybe it hits but not flush so that Lewis can recover. Again, an academic point. You can’t take anything away from the Rock when he showed up to fight in great shape, while Lewis — huffing and puffing and weighing seven pounds more than in the subsequent rematch — clearly did not.

But Lewis’ KO victory over Rahman in the rematch belongs on any top ten list of greatest heavyweight knockouts. At 1:29 of the fourth round, Lewis threw a hard left to the Rock’s melon followed a half second later by a huge right cross that is still sending concussive shock waves through the universe. Rahman dropped like a stone and the sound of the knockout punch is as brutal and chilling as it gets.

Some critics say Lewis didn’t fight enough quality fighters to merit being deemed one of the best ever.

To that I say one word: Please.

Lewis’ victims include Vitali Klitschko, Evander Holyfield (twice), Mike Tyson, David Tua, Ray Mercer, Shannon Briggs, Tommy Morrison, Hasim Rahman, Michael Grant (undefeated at the time), Henry Akinwande (undefeated at the time), Razor Ruddock, Tony Tucker, Oliver McCall and Andrew Golota.

The fact that Lewis didn’t fight some of the above fighters in their prime isn’t Lewis’ fault.

And don’t forget about Riddick Bowe. Lewis wanted Bowe badly, but Bowe literally threw away his WBC heavyweight belt in a trashcan rather than face Lewis.

Was Bowe scared? Is water wet? Lewis annihilated Bowe in the Olympics, and Bowe never wanted a part of Lewis again.

Congratulations to Lennox Lewis for his induction into the Boxing Hall of Fame.
Source: http://boxingconfidential.com/articles.php?id=6865

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
Lane
V.I.P
Executive Member

I HATE AMIR KHAN

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 06:50:35 PM »

fully deserved for the big one, hedidn't ruin his career b coming out of retirement and has stuck to his word!

fil1979
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 06:56:56 PM »

Congrats Lennox Lewis!!! you deserve it! Smiley

Tomatron
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 09:18:34 PM »

Best heavy weight of his generation. Well deserved of his place.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: