LiveFight
October 21, 2017, 08:10:59 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olympic Boxing  (Read 35817 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »

Great win by Darren O' Neill. The Nigerian was looking cagey in the first round but he unravelled in the 2nd and he Git tagged with some decent shots.
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 03:08:01 PM »

Gaz Calzaghe
Executive Member

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 03:10:31 PM »

He boxed really well, and Stefan Hatel looked really good, nice and tight technique a good example timing beats speed.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 03:15:39 PM »

Timing means a huge amount in amature contests for clean scoring.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 08:57:33 PM »

http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/boxing/2012/0728/330949-day-1-boxing/

London 2012 Olympics Day 1 Boxing: John Joe Nevin and Darren O'Neill both recorded comfortable round of 32 boxing wins

Bantamweight John Joe Nevin and middleweight Darren O'Neill have both advanced to the last 16 in their Olympic boxing divisions.

Nevin advanced to the last 16 after comprehensively outpointing Denmark's Denis Ceylan in this afternoon's first-round bout.

Nevin landed early blows to take the fight to Ceylan from the outset and he finished the opening round with a 5-2 lead.

Controling the pace all the way through the second round, he picked off his opponent at will, racking up eight more points to just two for the Dane.

It was much of the same in round three as Nevin outfoxed and outclassed Ceylan, scoring another 8-2 victory for the round and a huge 21-6 total.

Nevin will face Kanat Abutalipov of Kazakhstan in the round of 16.

O'Neill made light work of Nigeria's Mudeen Akanji to advance.

In a tight first round, O'Neill edged it 4-3, with his superior tactics and punching power lending him the lead.

The second round was all O'Neill as he raced into a 12-5 lead. Strong lefts and combination punches gave him the scores with the tall Nigerian simply having no answer.

With the fight done, the last round become a matter of winding down the clock, which O'Neill did expertly, while also managing to outpoint his opponent 3-1. A final score of 15-6 in O'Neill's favour was merited.

Both fighters march on.

Adam Nolan is the next Irish boxer in the ring. He fights in Sunday night's evening session, which begins at 8.30pm.

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18910019

Olympic boxing: Anthony Ogogo overcomes Junior Castillo Martinez  
By Ben Dirs
 BBC Sport at the ExCel Arena

Anthony Ogogo got the Great Britain boxing team off to a winning start at London 2012, comfortably beating Junior Castillo Martinez at the ExCel Arena.

The 23-year-old middleweight, from Lowestoft in Suffolk, recovered from a slow first round against his awkward Dominican opponent to advance comfortably, by 13 points to six.

Ogogo faces top seed and reigning world champion Ievgen Khytrov in the last 16.

Richie Woodhall
 Olympic bronze medallist and boxing commentator
"Fantastic performance from Anthony. He boxed well and got through it. The right-hand left-hook was the best combination throughout and he deserves his victory. He's got the opening contest out of the way and that will please him. I'm so pleased for him because he has been through so much personally outside of the ring."
Irish pair John Joe Nevin and Darren O'Neill also advanced on day one.

With Hull bantamweight Luke Campbell receiving a bye into the second round, Ogogo was charged with igniting his country's boxing campaign.

And having overcome so many obstacles in order to get to London, Ogogo's overriding emotion after seeing off Martinez was relief.

"It was really nerve-wracking coming out first," said Ogogo, whose Olympic dream was nearly wrecked by a shoulder injury and whose mother, Teresa, suffered a brain haemorrhage six weeks ago.

"I've worked so hard to get here and you can only imagine what it's going to be like, so I was a bit tense in the opening round before settling down a bit in the second.

Continue reading the main story
I can't wait to ring my mum up and tell her. My sister also went into labour today, so it's been a great day for the family!

Anthony Ogogo
 "I can't wait to ring my mum up and tell her. My sister also went into labour today, so it's been a great day for the family.

"The draw's not been very kind to me. I've got the world champion next, the Ukrainian, but in front of this crowd I feel like I can beat anybody.

"I've never boxed [Khytrov] before and it's going to take a momentous effort but I feel I've got it in the locker to beat him."

Fifth-seeded bantamweight Nevin, from Mullingar in County Westmeath, comprehensively outboxed Denmark's Dennis Ceylan to win 21-6.

Nevin, twice a World Championship bronze medallist, is part of a six-strong Irish team looking to improve on a tally of three medals in Beijing.

The 23-year-old faces Kanat Abutalipov in the next round after the Kazakhstani beat Wessam Salamana, one of only 10 Syrian athletes competing in London, 15-7.

Nevin's 56kg rival Campbell will have to wait until the evening session to discover whether his opener will be against Jonas Matheus of Namibia or Jahyn Vittorio Parrinello of Italy.

Irish middleweight O'Neill, a European silver medallist in 2010, beat Nigeria's Muideen Akanji 15-6 and faces Stefan Hartel of Germany next.

Joseph Diaz of the United States had the honour of winning the first bout of the tournament, the 20-year-old southpaw outpointing Ukraine's Pavlo Ishchenko 19-9.

Diaz's reward is a bout against Lazaro Alvarez Estrada, the top seed and reigning world champion from Cuba, who received a first-round bye.

LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 09:00:18 PM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 09:13:50 PM »

Day 1:

Boxing Men's Bantam (56kg)   
13:34 - Round of 32   basic_expand 
13:34 Round of 32  DIAZ JR Joseph  WDIAZ JR Joseph score: 19 - ISHCHENKO Pavlo score: 9   ISHCHENKO Pavlo 
13:51 Round of 32  VODOPIYANOV Sergey  WVODOPIYANOV Sergey score: 12 - MELIAN Alberto Ezequiel score: 5   MELIAN Alberto Ezequiel 
14:08 Round of 32  VIEIRA de JESUS Robenilson  WVIEIRA de JESUS Robenilson score: 13 - SHAYIMOV Orzubek score: 7   SHAYIMOV Orzubek 
14:25 Round of 32  NEVIN John Joe  WNEVIN John Joe score: 21 - CEYLAN Dennis score: 6   CEYLAN Dennis 
14:43 Round of 32  ABUTALIPOV Kanat  WABUTALIPOV Kanat score: 15 - SLAMANA Wessam score: 7   SLAMANA Wessam 
15:01 Round of 32  THAPA Shiva  THAPA Shiva score: 9 - WVALDEZ FIERRO Oscar score: 14   VALDEZ FIERRO Oscar 
20:32 - Round of 32   basic_expand 
20:32 Round of 32  MATHEUS Jonas  MATHEUS Jonas score: 7 - WPARRINELLO Jahyn Vittorio score: 18   PARRINELLO Jahyn Vittorio 
20:48 Round of 32  BALLA Ibrahim  WBALLA Ibrahim score: 16 - LBIDA Aboubakr Seddik score: 16   LBIDA Aboubakr Seddik 
21:07 Round of 32  SONJICA Ayabonga  SONJICA Ayabonga score: 6 - WDALAKLIEV Detelin score: 15   DALAKLIEV Detelin 
21:23 Round of 32  TURKADZE Merab  TURKADZE Merab score: - WOUADAHI Mohamed Amine score: WO   OUADAHI Mohamed Amine 
21:29 Round of 32  ENCARNACION ALCANTARA William  WENCARNACION ALCANTARA William score: 15 - LEMBOUMBA Braexir score: 6   LEMBOUMBA Braexir 
21:46 Round of 32  DOGBOE Isaac  DOGBOE Isaac score: 9 - WSHIMIZU Satoshi score: 10   SHIMIZU Satoshi 

Men's Middle (75kg) 
15:20 Round of 32  OGOGO Anthony  WOGOGO Anthony score: 13 - CASTILLO MARTINEZ Junior score: 6   CASTILLO MARTINEZ Junior 
15:37 Round of 32  AKANJI Muideen  AKANJI Muideen score: 6 - WO'NEILL Darren score: 15   O'NEILL Darren 
15:55 Round of 32  HARTEL Stefan  WHARTEL Stefan score: 18 - COLLAZO PELAIZ Enrique score: 10   COLLAZO PELAIZ Enrique 
16:12 Round of 32  KASUTO Mujandjae  WKASUTO Mujandjae score: 11 - NAZAROV Sobirdzhon score: 8   NAZAROV Sobirdzhon 
16:28 Round of 32  ESPINOZA MENA Jose  ESPINOZA MENA Jose score: 13 - WHARCSA Zoltan score: 16   HARCSA Zoltan 
16:46 Round of 32  MIGITINOV Soltan  WMIGITINOV Soltan score: 20 - HIKAL Mohamed score: 12   HIKAL Mohamed 

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 09:37:35 PM »

Anyone see Gausha -v- Hakobyan?!

Gausha(US) was trailing Hakobyan by 1pt going into the 3rd round and it was a hell of a scrap in the last round. A few seconds left and Gausha drops him with a right, he gets a count and then when the clock was at 0 he drops him again and the ref stops it when Hakobyan was back  on his feet! Exciting stuff! Smiley
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 12:15:00 PM »

Today's bouts:

Adam Nolan is fighting at 22:15 in Welters.

Josh Taylor is fighting at 20:30 in the lightweights.

Freddie Evans is fighting at 16:15 in the Welters.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 04:38:41 PM »

Evans beat Abbadi 18:10 in the Lightweight category round of 32.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 04:40:35 PM »

Today's bouts:

Adam Nolan is fighting at 22:15 in Welters.

Josh Taylor is fighting at 20:30 in the lightweights.

Freddie Evans is fighting at 16:15 in the Welters.

Hoping I'm not going to jinx him but Josh Taylor is a very good boxer.

A Slice of Life
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »

Hoping I'm not going to jinx him but Josh Taylor is a very good boxer.

Conceicao that he is fighting sounds a very decent fighter too so it could be a close one!
brocktonbomber
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 05:04:12 PM »

Anyone see Gausha -v- Hakobyan?!

Gausha(US) was trailing Hakobyan by 1pt going into the 3rd round and it was a hell of a scrap in the last round. A few seconds left and Gausha drops him with a right, he gets a count and then when the clock was at 0 he drops him again and the ref stops it when Hakobyan was back  on his feet! Exciting stuff! Smiley
Was at a bar yesterday afternoon watching this. I was probably the only boxing fan there, but the other people were more than happy to cheer for the American in the nationalism that the Olympics seems to inspire. So besides being an exciting finish, it was fun too. I'm sure after the Olympics are over, everyone here will go back to complaining about their country again. Probably like that in a lot of places.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 06:31:00 PM »

Was at a bar yesterday afternoon watching this. I was probably the only boxing fan there, but the other people were more than happy to cheer for the American in the nationalism that the Olympics seems to inspire. So besides being an exciting finish, it was fun too. I'm sure after the Olympics are over, everyone here will go back to complaining about their country again. Probably like that in a lot of places.

Yes it is! Grin

legs

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 07:38:29 PM »

is Boxing being shown on the BBC website only ?
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 07:46:44 PM »

Well done Josh great performance.

A Slice of Life
LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: