LiveFight
October 23, 2017, 03:17:20 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Olympic Boxing  (Read 35912 times)
presa
Executive Member

Hardookan!

« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »

yes very strong performance indeed, could have thrown a few more left uppercuts on the inside but overall hes looking like a podium prospect.

'contendunt ad optimum'
LiveFight
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »

Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 08:21:22 PM »

yes very strong performance indeed, could have thrown a few more left uppercuts on the inside but overall hes looking like a podium prospect.

Mate I said in the other thread that I thought he'd be close don't want to jinx him but he can fight at a much higher pace than tonight.

A Slice of Life
V.I.P
Executive Member

Team Sevens

« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »

is Boxing being shown on the BBC website only ?

No mate, red button has it on too, just scroll across to B and look for Boxing, the clue bar denotes the times it is on

Think the Beeb are providing great coverage of this if I'm honest
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18904166

Olympic boxing: Fred Evans and Josh Taylor through to next round
By Ben Dirs BBC Sport at ExCel Arena

Welsh welterweight Fred Evans and Scottish lightweight Josh Taylor made it three wins out of three for Great Britain's boxing team at the ExCel.

Evans, 21, did not have it all his own way against Algeria's Ilyas Abbadi but was too slick for his opponent, winning Sunday's bout 18-10.

Taylor, also 21, was good value for his 13-9 win over Robson Conceicao.

However, the Brazilian later claimed the judges had been influenced by a vociferous home crowd.

Despite winning European gold in 2011 and being world-ranked number two, Cardiff southpaw Evans was not seeded for the Olympic tournament.

But he made light of the oversight by outclassing his 19-year-old rival and joining middleweight Anthony Ogogo in the second round.

"Amateur boxing is all about hitting and not getting hit and Fred Evans is great at that. He's a great counter boxer - has a star been born here? That was a fantastic introductory bout from Evans, it was really good stuff."

And while he appeared to get carried away with the home support at times and was hit by a couple of solid right hands, his straighter, more clinical shots ruled the day.

"I haven't experienced that sort of atmosphere before, with everyone screaming for me, and it put me on a high, it was one big buzz," said Evans.

"The only time I've seen a crowd like that before was at big pro fights.

"I started swinging at times but that was just a bit of ring-rust, and maybe the crowd getting me going a little bit and me getting a bit overexcited.

"But that should sharpen me up now for the next fight."

Evans faces number four seed Egidijus Kavaliauskas on Friday, seeking revenge for a defeat at last year's World Championships.

"When he beat me in the Worlds it was after my [Olympic] qualification fight so I was switched off completely," said Evans.

"But this time I'm looking at medals and he'll see a different fighter.

"He's good, he won bronze at the Worlds, but he suits me - he's a short, strong, come-forward fighter, nothing I haven't faced 100 times before."

Top seed and reigning welterweight world champion Taras Shelestyuk received a bye into the second round, as did two-time light-welterweight world champion Serik Sapiyev of Kazakhstan.

Cameron Hammond, bidding to become the first Australian boxer to win a gold medal, looked impressive in beating Moustapha Abdoulaye Hima of Nigeria 13-6.

Taylor and Conceicao engaged in a cagey first round before the Prestonpans southpaw settled into his rhythm and began to control the fight from range.

Conceicao made it interesting in the third round as Taylor sought to protect his lead and, while it was close, the Scot was a deserved winner.

"The tactics were just to box and move, keep it long, and that's what I did," said Taylor, who now faces third seed and former world champion Domenico Valentino.

"It felt very close but I thought I'd won it and was in control. I wanted to give the crowd a bit of a thrill but it's not about that, it's about winning the fight.

"I'll do exactly the same against Valentino, keep it long and box him."

Conceicao, meanwhile, thought it should have been him fighting the Italian.

"It was no way a fair result. I boxed very well and scored a lot of points," said the 21-year-old.

"I really thought the judges were influenced by the crowd. That shouldn't happen in a competition this big."

The favourite in the lightweight division is two-weight world champion Vasyl Lomachenko, one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time. The Ukrainian received a bye into the second round.
Smokin Smiley

Women weaken legs

« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »

You can watch the Irish fights on RTE.ie, not sure if you can in Britain but I'd say so.

Nolan boxed well, in the last round he got tagged a bit but overall it was a good performance out of him.

Boxing is the only sport you can get your brain shook, your money took and your name in the undertaker book
LiveFight
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »

hoover
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 11:04:10 PM »

What's with the scoring at end of rounds only?

It seems to me like they are trying to avoid controversy of being accused of not scoring blatent scoring shots by just giving totals at the end of a round. I think it's a step backwards for clarity in the sport.

It is the new rule apparently, I am with you, much better having the counter
brocktonbomber
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 11:55:20 PM »

It is the new rule apparently, I am with you, much better having the counter
The new system uses an average of the judges scores and they've scrapped the 'one second rule'. Here's one article that explains it somewhat http://blogs.wsj.com/dailyfix/2012/07/28/2012-london-olympic-boxing-bring-your-calculator/
One fight was a draw yesterday. So they added the scores of the individual judges as a tie-breaker. All in all, it's pretty confusing, but a bit more suspenseful when they're announcing the decision. Still, you'd think there has to be a better way.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 05:29:17 AM »

http://m.rte.ie/sport/touch/olympics/boxing/2012/0729/331078-day-2-boxing-vastine-begins-with-win/

Day 2 Boxing: Nolan dispatches Sanchez Estachio

Irish boxer Adam Nolan advanced to the second round of the welterweight division at ExCel tonight.
The rangy Enniscorthy fighter expertly utilised a massive height and reach advantage against Ecuador’s Carlos Sanchez Estachio to record a comfortable 14-8 success.
The Irish southpaw looked polished from the bell and frustrated his muscular opponent throughout the contest.

The Bray BC pugilist built up a 6-3 lead at the end of the first round and extended his advantage to 11-6 at the end of the second.
Nolan’s ability to shift at will from his customary southpaw stance to an orthodox attack caused Sanchez Estachio a major headache.
However, the Ecuadorian upped his game in the closing stages.
He unleashed a flurry of potent upper cuts and appeared to shade the final round, but the judges scored the round 3-2 as Nolan progressed with something to spare.
Nolan admitted after the victory: "I was a little over-eager to get in there and get the win. It's like a cauldron and I was a little taken aback at the start, but without the crowd I wouldn't have got through it.
"I made it hard for myself but the main thing is I got through. My performances to get here were top-class and there will be pressure on the Russian. I will go out there and throw off the shackles and try to box with a free spirit."
Nolan was the third Irish winner after Saturday's victories for John Joe Nevin and Darren O'Neill and he added: "We have all sorts in the team and we're bonding really well. We are all behind each other 100%."
Four years ago Alexis Vastine had left the Olympic ring in a fury after two controversial final-round penalties cost him victory against the Dominican Republic's Felix Diaz and forced him to settle for a bronze medal.
Today the 25-year-old Frenchman enjoyed a happier return to the Games as he won his first-round bout in the welterweight division 16-12 against Germany's Patrick Wojcicki, and said his Beijing disappointment was in the past.
Vastine said: "It was a bad memory for me but you can't stay in the past, you've got to look forward. I want to look forward and to go further than I did four years ago."
Vastine's experience told against the 20-year-old German as he crafted a two-point advantage at the end of the first round and stayed in control with a powerful, accurate display which marks him down as one of the favourites at 69kg.
Also at welterweight, there were wins for Mongolia's Tuvshinbat Byamba, Canadian Custio Clayton and Australia's world number five Cameron Hammond, who had too much for Nigeria's Abdoulaye Hima, winning 13-6.
In the lightweight division, Kazakhstan's fifth seed and world bronze medallist Gani Zhailauov was lucky to survive against Thailand's Saylom Ardee, coming from behind to pull out victory on countback after a 12-12 draw.
Puerto Rico's Panamerican youth champion Felix Verdejo Sanchez, age 19, beat Juan Huertas Garcia of Panama 11-5 with a patient display of counter-punching, while Liu Qiang of China had too much for Australian Luke Jackson, coasting to a 20-7 success.
V.I.P
Executive Member

Team Sevens

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 05:31:58 AM »

I thought Richie Woodhall called Evans fight particularly well and it's good to have someone who understands the fighters and their styles. Evans definitely needs to be careful for the counter after he had thrown his shots as he was getting caught a fair bit and the screw shot seemed a bit loose too. I think his style will translate into an exciting pro but he didn't half remind me of Khan where he was just a bit too open and happy for a tear up
presa
Executive Member

Hardookan!

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 08:08:11 AM »

in all honesty i think we will see better performances from our guys next leg.. there must be tremendous pressure and the first bout will be good to get out of the way and now they will be able to concentrate on winning.

'contendunt ad optimum'
grizzlyadams
V.I.P
Executive Member

#TeamFlash

« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 08:23:23 AM »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/olympics/18904166
The favourite in the lightweight division is two-weight world champion Vasyl Lomachenko, one of the greatest amateur boxers of all time. The Ukrainian received a bye into the second round.

Keep an eye out for lomachenko. Very special fighter

justicia...
grizzlyadams
V.I.P
Executive Member

#TeamFlash

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »

https://www.skybet.com/boxing/olympics

If you scroll down it shows the day by day bouts.

starting from today 13:35

nice one mate. that's a big help.

so next up for GB is wednesday, we have luke campbell and anthony joshua on at 8.30pm and 11.15pm respectively

justicia...
CSCS
Punchy

« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »

nice one mate. that's a big help.

so next up for GB is wednesday, we have luke campbell and anthony joshua on at 8.30pm and 11.15pm respectively

Anthony Joshua might be a good one, he did a good number on Cammarelle.

All it takes is one round
grizzlyadams
V.I.P
Executive Member

#TeamFlash

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 11:08:05 AM »

Anthony Joshua might be a good one, he did a good number on Cammarelle.

Yeah looking forward to seeing big josh in action again. It's amazing what he has achieved with so few bouts behind him.

Campbell is a special fighter too. A lot of people putting money on him for gold.
(Lost to a certain top forest fighter in the juniors though http://www.livefight.com/boxingforum/index.php/topic,18617.0.html hint, hint  Grin )

justicia...
grizzlyadams
V.I.P
Executive Member

#TeamFlash

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 11:11:37 AM »

Tony Borg just said Selby and Fred Evans box Friday

justicia...
LiveFight

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 30   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: