LiveFight
February 23, 2018, 10:59:15 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arum:Its Pacquiao vs Cotto in November  (Read 11556 times)
CelticHiggo
V.I.P
Executive Member

"Its never too late to be what you might have been

« on: June 15, 2009, 08:56:53 AM »

Arum: It’s Pacquiao vs Cotto in November
By NICK GIONGCO
June 14, 2009, 7:58pm
Manny Pacquiao will fight in November and not in October, and hopefully against Miguel Cotto.

That’s what Hall of Fame promoter Bob Arum wants next after watching Cotto walk the tightrope against Joshua Clottey of Ghana late Saturday night (late Sunday morning in Manila) at Madison Square Garden in New York.

“I would like for him (Cotto) to fight Manny Pacquiao,” said Arum, moments after Cotto won by a hard-earned 12-round split decision.

“That would be a tremendous fight and I hope we can get it done for November,” added Arum, without
making it clear whether there’ll be a catch weight since Cotto had announced that he will never agree to face Pacquiao below (the welterweight limit) 147 lbs.

Pacquiao was on hand to size up Cotto’s latest performance, having seated beside Arum at ringside when Cotto and Clottey tore at each other like a pair of jungle predators fighting over a chunk of meat.
With the win, Cotto kept his name afloat for a chance to battle Pacquiao, who is regarded today as boxing’s No. 1 fighter, pound-for-pound.

Others in the running are the July 18 bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Juan Manuel Marquez and even Shane Mosley.

It’s not certain if Pacquiao will delay his decision about who to fight next after having been booked by Arum to resurface on Oct. 14.

Arum obviously mentioned November to allow Cotto to recover from the hideous cut on his left eye, the result of the vicious pounding he absorbed from the rugged Clottey.

Promoter Wakee Salud, who spent some time with Pacquiao prior to the fighter’s last-minute decision to fly to New York not only to watch the Cotto fight but to receive his second Boxing

Writers Association of America Fighter of the Year trophy, said it looks dead-certain that Pacquiao will face Cotto next.

“It’s Cotto for Manny,” said Salud yesterday from Cebu.

Salud said Cotto’s earlier pronouncements that he will never agree to a catch weight with Pacquiao is all for show.

“Cotto just wants to get more money but eventually he’ll agree and settle to a catch weight with Manny,” said Salud, noting that 143-144 lbs “will be agreeable” to both parties.Pacquiao, who flew to the Empire State alongside wife Jinkee and advisers Franklin Gacal and Mike Koncz, should be back in Manila either tonight or tomorrow evening.

"Never argue with an idiot.They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
LiveFight
« on: June 15, 2009, 08:56:53 AM »

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »

To be honest after seeing the Cotto Clottey fight, Id probably expect manny to win this, now I never thought Id say that, I know theres a big size difference but Cotto looked vunerable against Clottey imo and won the fight because Clottey wasnt busy enough, Manny will have a massive punch output and I dont think its beyond the realms of possibility for Manny to stop Cotto
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »

Boxingscene has it down as Nov 14th. Arum says that the cut won't be an issue as 'it's not that serious'! Did he actually see the cut? He won't be able to spar for a couple of months with that will he?

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20444
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:11:10 AM »

Cotto is tough and can certainly beat Pacquiao.

He has a good defence and great timing.

I feel that if he never got cut, then it would have been a clear victory.
celticbhoy
V.I.P

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »

Have to agree with you there,, Clotto is a tough guy..
That cut looks nasty, take a while for that to heel. Any jab on that would open it up again fairly handy
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2009, 09:18:08 AM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2009, 09:23:48 AM »

He has a good defence and great timing.

I feel that if he never got cut, then it would have been a clear victory.

I agree with you there.  I think the size and position of the cut hampered Cotto a great deal and impaired his performance.  

Looking at the size of Cotto I can't see him having an easy time getting down to 143-144 if the fight is made at a catchweight.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2009, 09:30:34 AM »

I agree with you there.  I think the size and position of the cut hampered Cotto a great deal and impaired his performance.  

Looking at the size of Cotto I can't see him having an easy time getting down to 143-144 if the fight is made at a catchweight.

To be honest I don't think that Cotto should go down in weight. He was struggling terribly at 140lbs 3 years ago. It made his chin vulnerable and his stamina, which has always been in question, even worse. After 3 years of filling out naturally at WW I think he would be effected even more by losing the natural musscle mass he has gained. I think that Roach and Pac will puch for as low a weight as possible as they know this. I don't want to see a weight drained Cotto lose to Pac as it proves nothing except that Roach would feel that Manny couldn't win the fight at 147.
Gavin
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »

If this fight is made, im there! Although im pretty sure that will be it for me and my girlfriend this time! Last one pissed her off pretty good!  Grin

Sez
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »

If this fight is made, im there! Although im pretty sure that will be it for me and my girlfriend this time! Last one pissed her off pretty good!  Grin

i'm not surprised... us girlies like boxing too!!

I'll be well up for watching this one, although i still think that cotto can do it, pac is in great shape but cotto is a big hitter
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2009, 11:25:24 AM »

To be honest I don't think that Cotto should go down in weight. He was struggling terribly at 140lbs 3 years ago. It made his chin vulnerable and his stamina, which has always been in question, even worse. After 3 years of filling out naturally at WW I think he would be effected even more by losing the natural musscle mass he has gained. I think that Roach and Pac will puch for as low a weight as possible as they know this. I don't want to see a weight drained Cotto lose to Pac as it proves nothing except that Roach would feel that Manny couldn't win the fight at 147.

I hope it is made at 147 too as I have no desire to see Cotto looking anything like ODLH did albeit that it won't be as far for Cotto to drop.  Also Pacquiao would get a lot more credit if he picked up a win with the limit being at welterweight.  I think Pacquiao has a decent chance in the fight at 147 but if Roach doesn't think Manny can be effective against legitimate welters he should turn his attention to fights at the LWW limit.

Just seen boxrec has the fight listed for the MGM, just rumour I know but probably the most likely venue.
brocktonbomber
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2009, 12:08:14 PM »

To be honest after seeing the Cotto Clottey fight, Id probably expect manny to win this, now I never thought Id say that, I know theres a big size difference but Cotto looked vunerable against Clottey imo and won the fight because Clottey wasnt busy enough, Manny will have a massive punch output and I dont think its beyond the realms of possibility for Manny to stop Cotto
I'm in complete agreement with you on this one. You can just a imagine what Arum was saying to Manny between rounds the other night.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2009, 12:10:17 PM »

If this is made at 147 Cotto will beat Pac - probable K.O.
Anything below I would be worries cos Cotto struggled to make 140 when he was a younger man, now I think he would struggle to get under 147.
On Sat Cotto beat a big, strong, capable WW fighting 3/4 of the fight with vision seriously effected with the bad cut. Without the cut I reckon it would have been alot easier for Cotto, I cant see Manny living with Cotto at 147.
mac-rebel021
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2009, 12:17:30 PM »

with all the talk of cotto v pac could floyd be worried he'l miss the boat and all the $$$$$$
so he might just try to jump straight in with pac in case cotto beats manny

its not the size of the dog in the fight
its the size of the fight in the dog
Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2009, 12:19:31 PM »

If this is made at 147 Cotto will beat Pac - probable K.O.
Anything below I would be worries cos Cotto struggled to make 140 when he was a younger man, now I think he would struggle to get under 147.On Sat Cotto beat a big, strong, capable WW fighting 3/4 of the fight with vision seriously effected with the bad cut. Without the cut I reckon it would have been alot easier for Cotto, I cant see Manny living with Cotto at 147.
I think he could make 144lbs without any after affects, he weighed in at 146 against clottey so he'd only have 2lbs to lose, you could lost that in a big dump
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2009, 12:36:01 PM »

I still think Pacman could be effective against Cotto at 147 its just that its too big a gamble considering Pacman currently holds all the aces and doesn't need to take chances.
I also think this will be at MGM as the money Pac can expect at the moment puts MSG out of the equation IMHO. The only way it will be there is if Pac decides he wants to headline the Garden
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: