LiveFight
August 18, 2018, 09:11:38 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arum:Its Pacquiao vs Cotto in November  (Read 12378 times)
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »

I think he could make 144lbs without any after affects, he weighed in at 146 against clottey so he'd only have 2lbs to lose, you could lost that in a big dump

Yeah perhaps mate, i just wouldn't want the fight at anything under 147. Don't like this catch weight stuff (i know i've kept that quite  :Smiley), and cant see the sense in all this talk about Pac being this weight jumping legend if he aint prepared to fight genuine welters at welter.
Not only this I want Cotto to spark him, and i think he'll do this at ww but would struggle below.
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2009, 12:59:53 PM »

Staffy
V.I.P

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2009, 01:03:20 PM »

If it does happen then i expect Manny to beat him inside the distance and especially at a catch weight between 140 and 147. I know you can't compare the state that Oscar was compared to what Cotto will be for obvious reasons but Cotto is pretty quick when he wants to be and has power but doesn't like speed against him, especially when it's backed up with power so only one winner.

Cotto has kind of never reached his potential to me as earlier on he looked like he was going to be amazing but just seemed to lose something and hasn't looked anything like since, niot sure what it was but it happened wich is a shame.

He will make a good wedge out of it and it will no doubt keep Manny in ring shape while the Mayweather fiasco sorts itself out and gets out of the way (thats saying he gets the results i imagine he will  Undecided).
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2009, 02:01:16 PM »

I think he could make 144lbs without any after affects, he weighed in at 146 against clottey so he'd only have 2lbs to lose, you could lost that in a big dump
The thing is that they are already on a fine line to get to that weight. Only 2lb is easy to say for us. But when you have to shed two more lbs of water that's keeping your body going it's putting yourself at risk.
Platty

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2009, 02:17:15 PM »

It's vegas apparently...

http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=477891&publicationSubCategoryId=200
harty
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »

was hoping for it to be at m.s.g.new york.

flowers of manchester
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2009, 02:22:46 PM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2009, 02:32:21 PM »

was hoping for it to be at m.s.g.new york.

Me too, I think I could have swung a trip to NYC for a few days but don't think I will be able to fit in another Vegas trip this year.
Mastadon

SOUTHERN STORM!

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2009, 02:33:02 PM »

I can't believe people are being so hard on Cotto at various other Forums.
Some are questioning his heart,and are saying he's now old and almost shot.
Well what do they want him to do then?
He just fought a Prime Clottey,who had never been decked and with such a Big head and Iron chin.
Many other fighters ducked him and I'm sure as Hell Mayweather would never step into the Ring with him even if he was offerd 10 million.Cotto fought him for much less.
Cotto did a masterful job in the first 3 rounds and for scoring that clever knockdown on a guy with such tight defence like that.
Clottey's Big head caused a cut on Cotto's eye and in the 4th,Cotto began to trade with Clottey .With blood streaming into his left eye he could not see,so Clottey began to score with Big right hands.Other fighters would have checked out of the fight,but Cotto soldierd on.
He clearly won the 6th when he unloaded shots at Clottey at the cornerpost.
Clottey bounced back to take the next 3 rounds and from there Cotto knew he had to adjust his game plan .So he began to Box and move and danced to steal the last 2 rounds.
So why fault him for being so smart?
If It was Mayweather in the ring,he would have never traded at all,coz he would have been running fast all night.At least Cotto took some calculated risks in the 4th round,6th,9th and 12th.
If he had continued to persist in trading with Clottey with his cut eye,he might have become another Meldrick Taylor in those last rounds.Meldrick took too many unnecessary risks in the last rounds against Chavez and he ended up paying a Big price and he was left to live with it for the rest of his life.
Now Cotto's decision to stick and move to steal those last rounds are now going to pay dividends.He now looks certain to get his biggest Payday against Manny in November and he deserves it more than anyone.

So move over Joe Louis.Back when Joe Louis lost that eliminator against Schmelling,It all looked as his Title shot ambitions were lost,but he would later get his second chance.
When Cotto fought Margarito last year,he was set to take on Delahoya in December for his biggest payday,but sadly Margacheato ruined his plans.All hope looked Gone for Cotto but with 2 wins,plus the right Promoter that second chance of a Megapayday has now come.  
So good luck to Cotto.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:37:51 PM by Mastadon » Logged
Keegan Jacobs
The Truth
Executive Member

The Truth

« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2009, 02:33:09 PM »

Cotto is tough and can certainly beat Pacquiao.

He has a good defence and great timing.

I feel that if he never got cut, then it would have been a clear victory.

Good Defense ? WHich fight do you think he has defended well ? Certainly not the margarito fight or clottey fight ? Clottey is the one with good defense not cotto.

Cotto doesnt know what to do to get away from a simple uppercut , both marg and clottey were landing this punch at will. His RECENT ring movement saves his stamina a bit more from not trading punch for punch against the elites but i wouldnt say that has increased his defense attributes.

Cotto is very poor in defense and needs a lot of work.

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2009, 02:39:45 PM »

Good Defense ? WHich fight do you think he has defended well ? Certainly not the margarito fight or clottey fight ? Clottey is the one with good defense not cotto.

Cotto doesnt know what to do to get away from a simple uppercut , both marg and clottey were landing this punch at will. His RECENT ring movement saves his stamina a bit more from not trading punch for punch against the elites but i wouldnt say that has increased his defense attributes.

I'd like to see him with Roach now. Having his nutritionalist train him is not a viable plan. He's the perfect fighter for Roach to train as he's a boxer/fighter.
Mastadon

SOUTHERN STORM!

« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2009, 02:43:41 PM »

He may not have the best of defence,but I saw him evade plenty of dangerous shots from Clottey.
He showed good head movement but needs to learn how to prevent guys from scoring with left uppercuts.
A new trainer could fix that problem and we might all end up writting a New chapter.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 02:46:05 PM by Mastadon » Logged
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2009, 02:59:30 PM »

Great fight if its 100% being made. Both fighters i admire immensely. Both got rabid hardcore fans who sure love their guy.. Will it be at the MSG? Im sure those Ricans will be hoping so as will i as its a dam sight cheaper than Vegas, easier to get to and Vegas in November aint that great. Spring/summer is the best time to be in Vegas IMO......

Who would i like to win, tough one but i'd have to go with Cotto on this one. Can Pacman win this? At 147 no, at 143/144 yes i think he can. Will be a monster fight as both fighters like to come forward and neither is anything special defensively. That being said Pac aint needed to be the last couple of fights......

I'l believe this when its signed though as before i went away this weekend all i heard was he was gonna fight Mosley, now its Cotto. Or is this all a smoke screen for PBF on Dec 13th Vegas?
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2009, 03:01:01 PM »

I wonder if arum would allow cotto to use the 10oz gloves rather than 12oz? I don't think he would.
dave j

« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2009, 04:11:33 PM »

i wouldnt say his defence is poor but he has took some punishment in the two fights with clottey and margocheato
Keegan Jacobs
The Truth
Executive Member

The Truth

« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2009, 04:13:35 PM »

i wouldnt say his defence is poor but he has took some punishment in the two fights with clottey and margocheato

OK lets not say its poor and lets not look at the margarito or clottey fights , how bout we look at the Corley and Torres fights ? Weight helped his chin but hasnt helped his defense.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 04:17:32 PM by keegan » Logged

PildiLagiMo

« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2009, 04:51:45 PM »

dratz... was already dreaming of driving to MSG to watch this fight. doesn't really makes sense. lots of ricans down NY. and they are not the type to fly west, so why put it in MGM?

They never run out of reasons saying why it wonít happen. But the truth is they donít want the fight, and they say so many nasty things about me. But I donít mind. I wonít even say anything bad against them. Letís show them that Filipinos know how to respect people,Ē Pacquiao to PhilStar
LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: