LiveFight
August 14, 2018, 11:37:47 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Arum:Its Pacquiao vs Cotto in November  (Read 12359 times)
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 05:52:44 PM »

I think Manny could do to Cotto what Cotto did to Clottey for the last three rounds and run out a clear winner on the scorecards, i dont see Manny knocking Cotto out though.
Cotto has the power in the fight and as proven on saturday he can take one hell of a punch and still easily has the heart for battle, this is now a real hard fight to pick when 6 months ago i would of said Cotto KO and early on.
It will be interesting to what kind of gameplan Roach will try to impliment in this fight, i cant see Manny rushing out like he did to Ricky and Oscar because Cotto will be in better shape and has better defence that both of those fighters respectively.
Cotto still appears to go a full fight which is a war with good fitness at the end i still feel, his punch output was very low a round or two he began is survival tactics.
Mannys defence and punch resistance will be put under its hardest test its possibly ever likely to face in this fight, Miguel i would guess hits harder than Floyd or Shane.
If Manny stands and fights i say Cotto KO round 7 ish, if Manny potshots and runs then he will win a clear decision. I dont think the cut will be a issue at all by the time this fight is done and signed, Cotto must be thinkin Arum hates him he has just fought and already is wanted to sign up again for another fight.

Team Groves
LiveFight
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 05:52:44 PM »

jim1973
V.I.P

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2009, 06:40:37 PM »

To be honest after seeing the Cotto Clottey fight, Id probably expect manny to win this, now I never thought Id say that, I know theres a big size difference but Cotto looked vunerable against Clottey imo and won the fight because Clottey wasnt busy enough, Manny will have a massive punch output and I dont think its beyond the realms of possibility for Manny to stop Cotto
Same here Brick....18 months ago i would have said Manny would get murdered....now i see him winning by ko.
stephen thompson
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2009, 07:23:18 PM »

I wonder if arum would allow cotto to use the 10oz gloves rather than 12oz? I don't think he would.

i dont think its up to arum is it. wouldnt that be the state commissions rule

Happy Holidays is what the terrorists say so.....merry Christmas one and all

Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2009, 07:26:36 PM »

I wonder if arum would allow cotto to use the 10oz gloves rather than 12oz? I don't think he would.

Team Pacquiao were the ones to stipulate 8oz gloves for the oscar fight, so you never know!!

fil1979
Executive Member

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 07:27:04 PM »

i dont think its up to arum is it. wouldnt that be the state commissions rule

it will be like the Pacquiao vs De la hoya fight I guess. Both fighters will have the option of choosing the size of gloves that they want to use. I believe anything above 135 you are required to use 10 oz gloves. Manny always liked to use the 8oz cleto reyes gloves and that was his choice in the De la hoya fight. De la hoya could've opted to use the 10oz gloves or 12 oz gloves but opted to use the 8oz cleto reyes gloves in hopes of knocking out Manny in that fight.

LiveFight
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2009, 07:27:04 PM »

mac-rebel021
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2009, 07:40:17 PM »

imo this is 50-50 fight even at 147 not a catchweight and how strange is that as alot said maybe 12 months ago i would of said it was suicide to let manny anywhere near cotto

its not the size of the dog in the fight
its the size of the fight in the dog
Alba
Executive Member

"For what is a man,What has he got ?"

@Albagary
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2009, 08:27:44 PM »

im over there the week after,how sick am  if this goes ahead the sat before.... :Smiley
DiscoPants

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »

Pacquiao Orders Arum To Make Cotto Bout, Nov. 14

15 Jun 2009  14:03

Pound for pound king Manny Pacquiao has ordered his promoter Bob Arum to make the fight with WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto. Arum already has a date set down on paper, November 14 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Pacquiao sat ringside and watched Cotto win a split decision over Joshua Clottey in New York's Madison Square Garden.

Arum told Michael Marley of The Examiner that Pacquiao was impressed with Cotto's massive amount of support from the thousands of Puerto Rican fans at MSG.

“Manny told me what to do. Manny told me, ‘Go ahead, make that fight.’ So it will go Nov. 14 at the MGM Grand here in Vegas,” Arum said. "He was impressed by Cotto’s fan support and told me it reminded him of how the British fans stand with Ricky Hatton."

Arum said the serious cut suffered by Cotto above his left eye will not prevent the fight from going forward on the proposed date.

“No because it’s not that bad. Miguel is delighted to get a fight against Manny, trust me. Miguel very much wants this fight. It will be a sensational fight the way they attack,” Arum said.

Source: boxingscene.com

joey_ed27

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 10:22:28 AM »

Great situation here for the Bobfather  Grin

I never liked the idea of putting Manny against Cotto.  Cotto is simply to big in my view. 
 7th world title in 7 div coming soon.  Wink

"..If you train hard, the fight's easy... You know.." - Pacman
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 12:00:29 PM »

To be honest after seeing the Cotto Clottey fight, Id probably expect manny to win this, now I never thought Id say that, I know theres a big size difference but Cotto looked vunerable against Clottey imo and won the fight because Clottey wasnt busy enough, Manny will have a massive punch output and I dont think its beyond the realms of possibility for Manny to stop Cotto

finally got here and I can't say I agree Brick tbh. Cotto was very unlucky with the cut and in all honesty he let Clottey back in the fight I had Cotto winning by a good couple and was impressed the way he was able to change his style something he didn't do in the Tony fight.

I have it down as a very close fight with Pacman Cotto but a great contest none the less a fight am now really looking forward to.

A Slice of Life
PildiLagiMo

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 02:15:48 PM »

Great situation here for the Bobfather  Grin

I never liked the idea of putting Manny against Cotto.  Cotto is simply to big in my view. 
 7th world title in 7 div coming soon.  Wink

i totally agree joey. any fight above 140 and pac is disadvantaged sizewise. hell he is even disadvantaged at 140 itself.

only the lure of a 7th title allows me to think about it. and cotto is the smaller one right now.

otherwise my priority fight for pac right now would be jmm at 135. so he can grab jmm's lineal at 135. and floyd, for an all time legendary fight.

They never run out of reasons saying why it won’t happen. But the truth is they don’t want the fight, and they say so many nasty things about me. But I don’t mind. I won’t even say anything bad against them. Let’s show them that Filipinos know how to respect people,” Pacquiao to PhilStar
Alvy
V.I.P

Alvy
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 03:59:19 PM »

Well, going by all of these reports that are surfacing, Cotto-Pacquaio looks likes it's gonna happen - and what a fight.

Personally, i'm going with Pacquiao. Cotto is a fantastic fighter but Manny is simply sensational. Yes it's a tough one, but I say he has the style to pull this off.

He has a clear edge in speed - foot speed as well as hand speed - and I feel that he will have little problem finding the target against Cotto. Defensively, Miguel has improved but he still gets caught too often for my liking and a sharpshooter like Manny with a clear edge in speed will be able to land his bombs.

Manny is absolutely at the top of his game. Since the first Morales win, Freedie Roach has had him boxing so intelligently. He darts in and out, gets his shots off and slips off to the side. He showed against Hatton that he fights well going backwards - some of the more impressive work he did against Ricky came whilst he was on the back foot. This is something that will serve him very well against Cotto. He is also a very effective body puncher nowadays. Perhaps most impressive of all is the fact that his power seems to have travelled up through the weight classes. I think he has the kind of power - even up at 47 - that will prevent Cotto from walking straight through him.

As mentioned, even up at Welterweight, I fancy Pacquiao's chances but I know that Freddie Roach has stated in the past that he will push for the fight to be made at cathweight. If he's successful, you'd have to fancy Manny's chances even more.

Cotto's a bad boy - Definitely one of my favourite fighters out there. And i'm fully aware that he has the heart and ability to win this fight and make me look a tit! I've listed Manny's strenghts but obviously Cotto would go into the fight with some clear advantages of his own. However i'm picking Manny to notch up yet another win against a superstar opponent.

Pacqiao UD

“We learned a long time ago that we should never subject ourselves to the schedules of the powerful. We had to follow our own calendar and impose it on those above.”
Kez89

« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 04:09:09 PM »

On Boxrec.com it is down as Manny/Cotto on the 14th November at the MGM....

Cotto will have the power advantage but Manny has unbelievable speed and is no slouch in the power department....

I think Manny may just be too fast for Cotto.....

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 04:15:02 PM »

Cotto has to be the winner of this fight if it gets made at 147. If it gets made at a catchweight I still fancy Cotto, but in a closer call.
At 147 Cotto will be fat too strong for Pac (regardless of people thinking he can bring his power upto 147), Cotto has been in with the heaviest hitters in the division and managed to live with all of them (other than a plaster clad cheat). Add this to the fact that Cotto has the skills to cut the ring off like no other fighter on the planet at the minute and it spells big trouble for little pac.
Whilst Cotto can be found and has been caught in a few fights, Manny is not the most elusive himself. Before anyone brings up the 'that's what they said about Hatton' argument, be aware that these two fighters (cotto and Hatton) are miles apart in terms of boxing brains. Cotto beat a man on Saturday despite the bad cut and having to re-adjust his game plan mid fight something few fighters could have done. The fact that the guy he beat had arms as big as pac's waist doesn't bode well for manny.
Manny Pacquaio is a wonderful fighter at weights upto and including 140, but taking the fight against the best ww on the planet will dispel the myth amongst some that Manny is now unbeatable. Cotto to win in a brutal fashion.
grizzlyadams
V.I.P
Executive Member

#TeamFlash

« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 04:26:31 PM »

What a fight in prospect. Everything suggests that cotto should be far too big for manny but cotto's static head and manny lightning hands and feet bring the odds closer imo. Cotto will try and take manny through the rounds and cut the ring off regularly and efficiently but although cotto is durable and determined, my gut feeling is that unless he moves his head more I can imagine manny zipping in and out catching him at will. I think manny would try to fight cotto in a similar way to how he fought ricky, landing punishing combinations and then drifting away from trouble; trying not to get involved in a fight. That combined with the nasty cut he suffered against josh clottey suggests it could be a closer fight than many might anticipate. Wouldn't like to call a winner at this stage

justicia...
LiveFight

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: