LiveFight
September 02, 2014, 11:38:44 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  
Betway £ Boxing EN Banner
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Scott Harrison sentenced to another 4 years in prison  (Read 1157 times)
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:06 PM »

BOXER Scott Harrison has been sentenced to another four years in a Spanish jail in a bodyblow to his dreams of becoming a world champion again.

• Boxer Scott Harrison has been sentenced to four years in jail after assaulting three men near a brothel

• Sentence casts doubt on his ability to challenge for world title, but Harrison is expected to appeal

The Scot was found guilty of assaulting three men at a brothel near Malaga after a one-day trial at Malaga. He received two years each for the two most serious assaults and a fine for a lesser assault on his third victim. His dreams of a return to boxing greatness lay in tatters last night after court officials published their sentence.

Harrison, 35, is expected to launch an appeal to avoid an immediate return to prison and try to go ahead with a third comeback fight in Glasgow on 1 December before that hearing takes place. He only left jail in Spain in September last year after completing a 30-month prison sentence for a 2005 assault near Malaga.

Today’s sentence followed his arrest over a May 2007 assault on three Spaniards at a brothel called Oxigeno in Alhaurin el Grande near Malaga.

The boxer’s two cousins Edward and David McGill were also arrested - but have yet to be located and tried.

The victims included brothel owner Francisco Gonzalez, who told three trial judges on September 26 the boxer had punched his front tooth out as he tried to defend two customers Harrison and his cousins were attacking.

Lead judge Julian Cruz, in a nine-page sentencing document published today, said: “Scott Harrison is not a first-time offender and his criminal record reflects a prior assault conviction.

“We’re also taking into account the dangerous nature of this criminal attack, in terms of where Francisco was hit, the serious injuries inflicted on the victims, and the fact one of the accused was a professional boxer with extensive experience when it comes to fighting.”

Harrison was sentenced to two years jail each for assaults on Gonzalez and 39-year-old construction worker Salvador Jimenez, who was off work for 77 days with injuries to his knees, wrist and elbow.

He was also fined £960 after being convicted of a third minor assault on Salvador’s friend Rafael Sainz, who committed suicide in January 2009.

Harrison, from Cambuslang, was also ordered to pay nearly £8,300 in compensation to his victims, including £1,600 to the brothel owner for the loss of his tooth.

Former WBO featherweight champ Harrison is expected to try to avoid starting his sentence immediately by launching an appeal against his conviction.

His defence lawyer Damian Canovas was unavailable for comment today but has previously indicated he would appeal a guilty verdict and fresh prison sentence.

Harrison was last night thought to be preparing in Spain for this third fight since his comeback in June, although his exact whereabouts was unknown.

The Scot protested his innocence over the May 2007 bust-up at Oxigeno Brothel during his one-day trial.

Brothel owner Francisco Gonzalez told the hearing the ex-world champ went for him as he tried to defend the other two Spaniards Harrison assaulted inside the sex club - allegedly with his two cousins - in an unprovoked attack.

The Scots trio are said to have laid in wait outside the club and attacked the the pair with their fists, feet, bottles and stones as they left to find an ambulance.

Harrison, who attended court with his fiancee Stacey Gardner and son Jack, four, insisted: “All I tried to do was escape when people I’ve never met before started throwing bottles at us for reasons I didn’t know.

“I’ve no idea how the men who claimed we attacked them suffered their injuries.”

The judges trying Harrison dismissed his claims in their sentencing document, describing Mr Gonzalez’s account of events as “totally sincere.”

They added: “Even though the injuries Mr Gonzalez’s customers suffered were also caused by his companions, Scott Harrison actively participated with punches and kicks and therefore has to assume responsibility for the consequences, whether they were directly the result of his criminal actions or of others’.”

Harrison is due to fight Greenock man John Simpson, 29, on 1 December.

He has already said he wants to take on WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns - and bounce back from nearly six years out of the ring.

Harrison was arrested several times in Spain and Scotland during a personal battle against drink, drugs and depression.

He served 30 months in jails near Malaga and Algeciras in southern Spain after being convicted of assaulting two men including a police officer following a booze bender with his uncle Jack McGill in October 2006.

His uncle, also his former trainer, committed suicide in May 2008 before the trial.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 08:28:19 PM by Red » Logged
LiveFight
« on: November 05, 2012, 08:25:06 PM »

Betway £ Boxing EN Banner
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012, 08:39:32 PM »

Just when u think things can't get any worse. This guy is a walking curse
Aaron
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »

Just when u think things can't get any worse. This guy is a walking curse

Or just a tosser.

Team Groves
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2012, 08:42:50 PM »

The boxer’s two cousins Edward and David McGill were also arrested - but have yet to be located and tried.

Looks like they have done a runner.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »

Fairly heavy sentence however you have to take into account at the time his fist would have been considered deadly weapons? I don't think Scott's a bad guy at heart just has addiction problems and as us scots would say 'just pure mental wae a drink in him'

A Slice of Life
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »

Fairly heavy sentence however you have to take into account at the time his fist would have been considered deadly weapons? I don't think Scott's a bad guy at heart just has addiction problems and as us scots would say 'just pure mental wae a drink in him'

Or he is just a plain demon?

Beating up Brothel owners, it's doesn't get much lower - well, maybe pissing in a shop doorway (when the shop is still serving customers) or maybe driving round behind the wheel plastered.

He's a social hand grenade.
pogo
V.I.P

« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2012, 10:35:24 PM »

He has shamed this country, shown himself to be a complete coward (letting his uncle linger in jail whilst he didnt turn up for trial when it was mostly the behavior of SH that landed them in deep trouble), beating up his partner etc. Why when he had a partner was he even near a brothel anyway (and of course he has continued to binge on alcohol and been visiting the brothels in Edinburgh very recently). Should never have been allowed to box again after dragging the sport through the gutter and now its happening all over again. I got no time for people that had it all and lost it through their own destructive lifestyle. Harrison could have been a great champion, now Scottish boxing doesnt want or need this ticking time bomb to represent them.  I used to like him as a fighter back in the day, that is completely obscured by how he has conducted himself in years since.

Thank the Lord for Ricky Burns, a true scottish hero and the model of professionalism.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2012, 10:37:17 PM by pogo » Logged
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2012, 10:54:11 PM »

He has shamed this country, shown himself to be a complete coward (letting his uncle linger in jail whilst he didnt turn up for trial when it was mostly the behavior of SH that landed them in deep trouble), beating up his partner etc. Why when he had a partner was he even near a brothel anyway (and of course he has continued to binge on alcohol and been visiting the brothels in Edinburgh very recently). Should never have been allowed to box again after dragging the sport through the gutter and now its happening all over again. I got no time for people that had it all and lost it through their own destructive lifestyle. Harrison could have been a great champion, now Scottish boxing doesnt want or need this ticking time bomb to represent them.  I used to like him as a fighter back in the day, that is completely obscured by how he has conducted himself in years since.

Thank the Lord for Ricky Burns, a true scottish hero and the model of professionalism.

Amen, Burns and Harrison are like good and evil when all things are considered.. not to mention Ricky is a much better fighter.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2012, 11:06:50 PM »

Apparently he was in court with his fiancee Stacey Gardner and his 4-year old son.

Maybe he wanted to treat them to a sunny weekend away, whilst he answered charges of beating up a brothel owner and 2 brothel customers..

What a pleasant treat for his loved ones eh ?
pogo
V.I.P

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »

Honestly i wonder about the partner, how can she offer her backing when he frequents brothels. Its degrading and disgusting and he has slapped her about on more than 1 occasion. Yet there she is offering unconditional support yet again. He dont deserve a partner like that, but she looks like a doormat to me. His behavior in the past few weeks has just been as bad as it was before, nothing has changed and i think Scott Harrison is incapable of change.

If its another 4 years in a spanish jail at least he is off the streets and with his lifestyle its the safest place for his own well being. Not that im too bothered about the well being of Scott Harrison, he is a dangerous man who is destined for bad things to happen to him. He is one to keep clear of, cos when he finally self destructs he is more than capable of taking a few innocent bystanders with him.

His partner should really get out whilst she can whilst she still has her health, because there may come a time when its too late.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »

It's not the first time he's been done for assault though. If the sentances are too hard why does he keep doing it? Either way people have to be protected from him.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: