LiveFight
October 23, 2017, 04:24:15 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: De La Rosa Saga Will Test The Promoters Association  (Read 1511 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: August 13, 2009, 07:36:43 AM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=21562

De La Rosa Saga Will Test The Promoters Association

Posted by: Rick Reeno on 08-13-2009.

The situation surrounding undefeated welterweight prospect James De La Rosa (19-0, 12 KOs) is heating up. Last Thursday in Florida, De La Rosa signed a promotional agreement with Don King. One week prior to the signing, De La Rosa issued a press release that basically announced his free agent status. De La Rosa had a promotional contract with Dino Duva of Duva Boxing. A few weeks ago De La Rosa filed for bankruptcy. According to De La Rosa and his team, the bankruptcy proceedings have effectively severed his promotional ties to Duva.

Of course, there are two sides to every story.

Duva is disputing De La Rosa’s  status as a free agent and appears confident that his promotional hold over the fighter is still valid. The background story is more interesting than the actual signing of the fighter. Duva is currently involved in a business partnership with King. When I reached Duva last Thursday to get his thoughts on King’s acquisition of De La Rosa, the New Jersey promoter was shocked. He was totally unaware that King made a deal with the fighter. The news was even more shocking because Duva had  previously spoken to King about his problems with De La Rosa. King pledged his support to Duva and promised to help him fight De La Rosa’s bankruptcy move.

"James De La Rosa was convinced by his 'advisors' to file for bankruptcy and try to break his promotional contract with us. After James told me this, I called Don King to advise him of the situation. I knew that Don was fighting his own battle with one of these bankruptcy frauds with Nate Campbell and that he has had success fighting it,” Duva said.

“As my business partner in Duva Boxing, I asked Don for his and his lawyer's help. Don said emphatically to me "Dino, we must fight this. We can't let these fighters screw us with these bankruptcies and I guarantee my help to fight De La Rosa on behalf of Duva Boxing. I was waiting for Don to send me his lawyer's contact information to get started with proceedings.”

Duva issued a press release on Wednesday night, stating that he would file a lawsuit. De La Rosa, King and Buffalo-based boxing agent Rick Glaser would be the targets. Duva’s lawsuit will include claims for tortious interference and breach of partnership fiduciary responsibility.

Although Duva was not present, King and Glaser attended the historic first meeting of the “boxing promoters association” in New York. Duva strongly believes in the association and plans to file a grievance with the group - against King and Glaser.

Prior to signing with King, De La Rosa’s team reached out to promoter Lou DiBella. Honoring the idea of the promoters association, DiBella immediately made contact with Duva and advised him of De La Rosa’s intentions. In an effort to help De La Rosa, Duva spoke to DiBella about a possible co-promotional partnership. It was later alleged that Glaser caught wind of the information and tipped off King about Duva’s possible move to make a deal with DiBella. King was furious and viewed Duva’s possible move as an act of treason.

BoxingScene.com spoke to Glaser on Wednesday night. He was certainly on the defensive when advised of Duva’s claims and legal intentions.

“One week before we met with them, De La Rosa sent out a press release announcing that he was a free agent. They said they were free agents. Dino Duva thinks he’s bigger than the U.S. bankruptcy laws. I know one thing, Dino and Duva Boxing are not bigger than the U.S. bankruptcy laws. Several promoters were trying to sign De La Rosa. Don King and Rick Glaser acted quickly and Mr. De La Rosa and his people went away happy,” Glaser said.

“Duva was teaming up with Lou DiBella to do a partnership deal. On one hand he is claiming Don is his partner and on the other hand he is calling Lou DiBella to do a partnership. Did he think Don wasn’t interested? Of course Don was interested, he signed him up. DiBella had no shot of being involved in a business relationship with De La Rosa because the fighter did not want to be with Dino Duva and because DiBella was going to be partners with Duva, he was unfortunately being painted with the same brush.”

Glaser denied the allegations that King was avoiding Duva’s phone calls. Duva claims King has not returned any of his phone calls to discuss the situation.

“Don is not avoiding Dino Duva’s phone calls. Don King welcomes Dino Duva’s phone calls. Dino is out of the country and Don has not been able to address the situation. If Dino was being straight up, why didn’t he just bring the fighter to Don. He tried to do a deal with Lou DiBella. He is attacking Don King for James De La Rosa but why isn’t he attacking Bob Arum for Sam Peter? I don’t see Dino attacking him,” Glaser said.

“As far as me being calling names by Dino Duva, I’m a professional and  won’t call people little kid names. I only respond to facts. I’ve been in this business for seventeen years and I provide a professional service to many people on a daily basis.  Rick Glaser and Don King will continue conduct business in a professional manner.”

When reached for his version of the recent events, DiBella told BoxingScene that he reached the boiling point with Glaser and believes that he instigated the escalating situation between the involved promoters. He said Glaser was making a bad name for himself by conducting business in this kind of manner and was very shocked himself when the news broke out that Glaser had brought De La Rosa to King. According to DiBella, Glaser had complained to him in the past, on numerous occasions, that King owed him money on a few older deals. Glaser was instrumental in bringing Juan Diaz to King, and that was one of the deals that Glaser allegedly told DiBella he was owed money on.

“This guy really is a moron. He is not making friends by sleazing and stealing fighters out of bankruptcy.  He ran around crying to the whole industry that Don King ripped off him and didn’t pay him - and then the first chance he gets, he takes a fighter to King. You know what I think, King never ripped him off. I think Glaser is a Don King groupie. Glaser is an intern who performs unpaid labor for King,” DiBella said.

“Unless a fighter is interested in learning how to roll back an odometer, there is no reason for him to speak with Rick Glaser. What exactly is Rick Glaser? Is he matchmaker? Is he a promoter? Is he a convicted felon? I'll tell you what he is, a pimple on the ass of boxing. Of all the years and the thousand  of fighters that Glaser has been involved with, name one great fighter that Glaser has been involved with. This is typical Raccoon [DiBella’s nickname for Glaser]. Why would any promoter want to work with the Raccoon, knowing this is how he operates. He should join his other Raccoon friends and knock over some garbage cans. He’s a strange little fat man and I’m not really sure what he does.”

“De La Rosa’s people contacted me. As a member of the promoter’s association I contacted Dino and we discussed the possibility of doing something with the kid.”

Duva is currently in China on business but BoxingScene was able to briefly speak to him early Thursday morning. Duva doesn’t see why there would be a big issue with DiBella coming in to help out with De La Rosa. Because King is a 50% partner in Duva Boxing, Duva says the veteran promoter would have still received a piece of the pie regardless of DiBella’s involvement. Unfortunately, Duva says the situation has forced him to protect his rights by exploring his legal options.

“It’s all bullshit [referring to Glaser’s claims]. I didn’t even start talking to Lou until this stuff started happening with De La Rosa. Any deal I would made with Lou, Don would have been involved. Don would have got his piece through Duva Boxing no matter what happened,” Duva said.

Because three of the involved parties are members of the boxing promoters association, the actual strength of the association will be tested in this situation. Fighters claiming bankruptcy to break their contracts - and promoters stealing fighters, were two of the main key issues being discussed during their first meeting.
LiveFight
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:36:43 AM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 07:39:40 AM »

Nice rant by Di Bella!

It'll be interesting to see what the new BPA does as regards this. Will they just look the other way and only look at issues that can profit all of them simultanaously rather than also trying to mediate in issues between themselves?
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: