LiveFight
October 19, 2017, 07:07:32 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Devon Alexander is Open to All Challenges  (Read 2947 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: August 13, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=21565

Devon Alexander is Open to All Challenges
Posted by: TK Stewart on 08-13-2009.

Newly minted WBC super lightweight titlist Devon Alexander has worn his championship belt for less than a two weeks, but he has immediately dropped the gauntlet and is sending a message that he will fight anyone that is willing to step forward.

“I'll fight anybody,” said the 22-year-old Alexander. “This is boxing and that's the way it's supposed to be, you know what I mean? The whole idea is to fight the best and I'm definitely looking to fight the best.”

Undefeated at 19-0, 12 KOs, Alexander shares the championship mantle in the red-hot 140-pound division with Timothy Bradley (WBO), Amir Khan (WBA) and Juan Urango (IBF). There are a host of big fights that have the potential to be made and it's a fact not lost on the man who goes by the nickname “Alexander the Great”.

“I mean, I know that everybody out there is going to be trying their best to come after me now,” he admits. “But me and my team, we're just going to take it as it comes and take it one step at a time. We'll see what my trainer [Kevin Cunningham] and my promoter [Don King] have to say about it all. But really – anybody – I'll fight anybody.”

A proud St. Louis native, Alexander was honored by the mayor last Thursday at City Hall for his convincing title win over England's Junior Witter. Alexander often wears caps and jerseys of the St. Louis Cardinals baseball team and he claims he will use his championship status as a platform to benefit the people of his hometown.

“I'm going to work even harder now that I've got the belt,” he says. “I know a lot of distractions can come my way now, but I'm a strong person with a strong mind and I feel that my destiny is to be one of the greats. I want to do a lot of work in the community and try to inspire people and let them know that they can do whatever they want to do in life. If I can do it, so can they.”

Alexander was overcome with emotion immediately after his title winning effort against Witter and now that the reality of his accomplishment has sunk in he is looking ahead to what could be a future full of possibilities. “My trainer never gave up on me and God never gave up on me,” said Alexander. “I've got the green belt now, so we'll look forward now.”

Sources within the Alexander camp claim they would like to have a homecoming title defense in the fall. The rumor mill is in full-grist on the opponent, but Nate Campbell is the name being brought up most often since he is also promoted by King. A part of that card could include a championship doubleheader featuring IBF 154-pound titlist Cory Spinks who also hails from St. Louis and shares the same trainer and promoter as Alexander. The card would be a natural for the Scottrade Center where Spinks and Alexander have both appeared in the past.
LiveFight
« on: August 13, 2009, 07:41:48 AM »

grizzlyadams
V.I.P
Executive Member

#TeamFlash

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2009, 09:06:28 AM »

Hope we can see some unification fights. Does my nut looking at a division like 140 and 147 and seeing all the different 'world' champions. If you think you're the best, fight the best. I hope the unified association of boxing promoters (or whatever they called it) start backing unification matches.

Ricky's decision aside, who do you see as the best at 140, deck?

justicia...
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2009, 10:04:45 AM »

Hope we can see some unification fights. Does my nut looking at a division like 140 and 147 and seeing all the different 'world' champions. If you think you're the best, fight the best. I hope the unified association of boxing promoters (or whatever they called it) start backing unification matches.

Ricky's decision aside, who do you see as the best at 140, deck?
Obviously Manny is the best at the moment. But he's sort of a celebrity stopever at the moment rather than the future. Alexander is someone I've been keeping an eye on for a while now although I've not seen too much footage and he seems to be getting better and better. Bradley is very good and entertaining but I don't think he has the overall skill to dominate but he can keep a belt for a while in one form or another. Alexander seems to be the best prospect at world level right now.
grizzlyadams
V.I.P
Executive Member

#TeamFlash

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2009, 10:31:34 AM »

Obviously Manny is the best at the moment. But he's sort of a celebrity stopever at the moment rather than the future. Alexander is someone I've been keeping an eye on for a while now although I've not seen too much footage and he seems to be getting better and better. Bradley is very good and entertaining but I don't think he has the overall skill to dominate but he can keep a belt for a while in one form or another. Alexander seems to be the best prospect at world level right now.

Yeah i'd go along with that. As you said manny will probably be busy elsewhere but there are some great matches that can be made among the others. There are some dangerous fighters and punchers in the top ten, so it will be interesting to see the next move of both khan and alexander. Hopefully one will get a unification fight with bradley, if the sanctioning bodies allow it

justicia...
Terrible
Executive Member

With great power, comes great responsibility

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »

Hes probably the weakest champion out there at 140 in Juan Urango. But if any off the other champions under-estimate Urango in a fight theres every chance he could knock them into next week he hits that hard. Very underrated Urango.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »

brocktonbomber
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2009, 12:09:34 PM »

It's going to mean standing up to the sanctioning bodies, but let's hope the promoters (and fighters) can do it. It's nice when you see fighters give up a belt to fight another beltholder rather than some overmatched mandatory.
grizzlyadams
V.I.P
Executive Member

#TeamFlash

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »

It's going to mean standing up to the sanctioning bodies, but let's hope the promoters (and fighters) can do it. It's nice when you see fighters give up a belt to fight another beltholder rather than some overmatched mandatory.

Exactly. Perfect example, Joshua Clottey. He should still be in the mix at the top of the welterweight division even after getting beat by cotto. Some saw him win the fight, some saw him lose but either way he put in decent performance against one of the best in the division, and gave him huge problems. He did a brave thing reliquishing his IBF title and I hope he's rewarded for it with future fights. Same with cotto when he fought margarito.

justicia...
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: