LiveFight
October 22, 2017, 11:42:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Moore signs up for Colas  (Read 1994 times)
Bolton Dave
Executive Member

« on: June 16, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »

http://www.salfordadvertiser.co.uk//sport/boxing/s/1120857_moore_signs_up_for_colas_fight

Moore signs up for Colas fight
Dave Lawrenson
June 16, 2009

SALFORD boxer Jamie Moore will make a second defence of his European Light Middleweight title against Frenchman Jimmy Colas on Friday, July 24.

That is eight days later than the two fighters were originally set to meet as part of Sky Television's UK link-up to Floyd Mayweather Junior's pay-per-view comeback show in America.

With Mayweather having postponed his title showdown with Juan Manuel Marquez due to a rib injury, the scheduled link-up show in Sunderland has been called off.

And, with Moore on a mission to win a world title before the end of the year, he is hugely relieved that a new date has been arranged so quickly.

The 30-year-old said: "Now that I am up to number three in the WBC rankings and with my promoter Frank Maloney lobbying the WBC to make me the mandatory challenger, I think that I am one or two wins away from getting a world title shot.

"I want to fight for the title before the end of the year. I don't want to wait around - I've done enough of that in the past due to injuries and boxing politics - so I am pleased that I will soon be back in the ring.

"I've seen Colas fight a few times. He's certainly no mug but I am very confident of winning."

The top of the bill bout, which will be screened live on Sky Sports, will almost certainly take place at Leigh Sports Centre.

Colas, aged 29, has a respectable professional record of 26 wins from 32 fights. But Moore insists that nothing, not least an inferior boxer like Colas, is going to stand in the way of him fulfilling his world title dream.

Moore said: "I'm at the point of my career where I am getting to where I want to be - and that's a world champion. There will be no slip ups now.

"I've been hampered by injury problems in recent years but I am now injury free. My trainer, Oliver Harrison, and I are no longer having to work around injuries in the gym. Everything is coming together now and I am stronger, fitter and punching harder than ever.

"Once I have beaten Colas, I am then hoping to fight WBC champion Sergio Martinez or having a final eliminator with Kermit Cintron. I am ready to fight in and win major fights like those."

Bored of boxing - need some fights to excite me again
LiveFight
« on: June 16, 2009, 09:27:08 AM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 09:44:30 AM »

Unfortunately this looks like another fight that isn't going to do Jamie any favours if he does manage to secure a world title shot my the end of the year.  Looking at Colas on Boxrec he has lost 2 of his last 3, although he has never been stopped.

Even though Forrest is knocking on a bit now it would still be a hell of a jump for Moore from fighting Colas to someone with the experience and skills of Forrest.

As mentioned on a previous thread, Moore needs to be getting in with the likes of Angulo, Phillips or Latimore at this stage of building up to a title fight.
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 10:18:44 AM »

Whilst I agree, it's a shame they've announced this a day after the Khan tickets went on sale.

I can't really do both and i've already got my Khan tickets, but i'd prefer to watch Moore again.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
CelticHiggo
V.I.P
Executive Member

"Its never too late to be what you might have been

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 01:17:32 PM »

Just when he seemed to be heading in the right direction

"Never argue with an idiot.They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
Lane
V.I.P
Executive Member

I HATE AMIR KHAN

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »

like i said on a earlier thread more needs to vacate the euro title and go out and fight an world title contender someone like cintron, phillips,angulo would be perfect fight before a world shot

LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2009, 03:40:52 PM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »

like i said on a earlier thread more needs to vacate the euro title and go out and fight an world title contender someone like cintron, phillips,angulo would be perfect fight before a world shot

I think Cintron may be a step too far for Moore in his first fight at that level.  Although Cintron got lucky against Martinez, the only 2 recorded defeats on his record are against Mararito at Welterweight.

You are spot on about ditching the Euro Title though.  There is a big jump up in class to World level as Jennings found out after somehow getting himself ranked as the No.1 contender by the WBO to fight Cotto even though he had only ever really operated at British level previously.  I think Moore is a better fighter than Jennings but stepping straight in to a title shot after fighting someone like Colas could be suicidal.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: