LiveFight
October 24, 2017, 07:54:54 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Benn - McClellan - 20 Years today  (Read 1480 times)
V.I.P
Executive Member

Team Sevens

« on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:26 PM »

One to remember and enjoy kids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYCFR1KrD6g
LiveFight
« on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:26 PM »

dmp
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »

on a saturday night live on  itv brilliant fight the doc is a great watch
« Last Edit: February 25, 2015, 10:46:39 PM by dmp » Logged
Tito
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 11:49:10 PM »

I remember it well I remember reading the papers the morning of the fight no one gave Benn a chance it was like this guy was going to beat him easily because he was billed as the mini Mike Tyson and there was pictures of him with his pit bulls and the media glorified how he was into dog fighting and that's why he was a fighter with the mind set of his dogs willing to fight to the death and ready to beat Benn as brutally as it needed.
As for the fight I never watched it again until the documentary was shown years later I was no McClennen fan but it was just to brutal to watch and how can people watch it knowing what the final outcome was with McClennen still badly disabled today and with a very bleak future. One can marvel at the bravery of both fighters but the whole thing was a mess start to finish no doctor present, the ring invaded as McClennen collapsed, the delay in getting him to hospital, how and why he was allowed to sack Manny Steward and employ a yes man who couldn't train a dog in his corner, His lack of proper medical insurance and subsequent care dried up very quickly his sisters had to look after him when he should have been nursed properly and given every resource. I look back at that fight and its the tragedy of it all that sticks out not something I like to look at and remember with any fond memories.

Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 04:39:45 AM »

One of the greatest fights I've seen and if it hadn't been for the tragedy at the end it would be shown over and over again to this day.

Obviously you never want something like tht to happen to anyone, especially not in a boxing ring, but if it had to happen to someone then karma chose well.

Mclellan was a vile human being. I despise anyone that mistreats animals especially dogs. I've seen the doc and his sister seems like an angel. Such a bast*rd is lucky to have someone like that to look after him the way she does.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:04:04 AM »

Is that the same sister who found some of 'Benn's blood on the sock of her brother'

And then sent it away and it was confirmed as 99% super strength steroid and tried to sue him?

(Despite sock being 15 yrs old by the time of this allegation.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 08:04:04 AM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 08:41:08 AM »

Probably the most exhilarating yet brutal memories I've got of watching the sport. I'll never forget that night. I don't think I've ever felt as nervous for a fight apart from when I myself was fighting. The build up McClellan had been given(rightly so) was frightening, but Benn always a warrior had something different about his mindset that night and I could see it from the build up.

Nigel was ready to die and though McClellan could hurt Benn he could never quell him. The bombs that disposed of the rest just couldn't stop Benn from coming. And McClellan for his part took punches that no man should have been able to take without folding in half.

Two genuine KO artists hitting each other with KO bombs yet both taking the shots and coming back for more. The fighting spirit both displayed was insane, the lengths or depths each were prepared to go to to prevail wasn't human. It went beyond a boxing match, it became a primal battle like two cavemen fighting for survival. Truth is McClellan is in the state he's in today because his chin was too good and it meant he took round after round of vicious punishment until he just broke.

One of the greatest fights of all time, the tragic ending and plight of Gerald McClellan tarnished it forever.
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 08:55:14 AM »

Is that the same sister who found some of 'Benn's blood on the sock of her brother'

And then sent it away and it was confirmed as 99% super strength steroid and tried to sue him?

To be fair I disn't know that
TC

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 11:17:52 AM »

I'm not surprised she was that desperate for cash given how the family were screwed over.

It's strange really. I can watch the fight and still disassociate myself from what happened afterwards enough to be exhilarated at watching the incredible action it provides of two true warriors going toe to toe. The noise of the crowd when Benn comes firing back and lands a couple of big shots in the second round is simply amazing. It must have been an incredible event to have been at.

I suppose it's a bit of a guilty pleasure. I've watched it a few times and can't help myself. It was such a good fight, despite the ultimate tragic consequences. 

"Me: We"
G-man
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 01:43:50 PM »

I slipped away to watch it in a downstairs bar at a family wedding reception i couldn't get out of  Angry. I'd just started attending fights live at around this time and all my other mates who i'd been going with were there. One of them told me afterwards that McClellans punches even sounded really heavy - like you could hear the body shots properly sinking in. To say i was jealous was an understatement.

Benn was never one of my favourites but he'd seemingly been written off by pretty much everyone that night and it defo lit a fire in his belly. He was never the same afterwards IMO.

Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 04:55:39 PM »

I slipped away to watch it in a downstairs bar at a family wedding reception i couldn't get out of  Angry. I'd just started attending fights live at around this time and all my other mates who i'd been going with were there. One of them told me afterwards that McClellans punches even sounded really heavy - like you could hear the body shots properly sinking in. To say i was jealous was an understatement.

Benn was never one of my favourites but he'd seemingly been written off by pretty much everyone that night and it defo lit a fire in his belly. He was never the same afterwards IMO.

I think gruelling fights take a piece of someone away. Not many can do it again and again.

I watched the fight back recently, and it wasn't as good as I remembered (apart from opening rounds).
stevenmason

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 03:30:15 AM »

Brilliant fight on British soil. I switch it of before the post fight tragedy.
Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 09:08:21 AM »

Anyone a like for the documentary?
matty m
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 11:10:53 AM »

Anyone a like for the documentary?
www.google.co.uk
bigbibbs

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 01:36:47 PM »

felt sorry for him until i learned what a **** he was with animals.  Now its tough luck he got his deserts i suppose.  Worse things have happened to far better people.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2015, 10:59:09 AM »

I can remember watching it and straight up the town afterwards positive I pulled that night :-)

A Slice of Life
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: