LiveFight
October 22, 2017, 09:03:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smith - Fielding  (Read 9249 times)
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »

It's a good result but let's not forget it was Rocky Fielding in the other corner, not Balboa.

Team Groves
LiveFight
« Reply #75 on: November 07, 2015, 10:52:00 PM »

wbamitch

« Reply #76 on: November 07, 2015, 11:06:41 PM »

Blimey, statement there. He looked absolutely huge in there and he obviously imposed himself and his power straight away with the right over the top. Fair play to Rocky for giving it a go, obviously in what looked like a decent comeback spell walked him right onto one which effectively sealed the deal.

I haven't warmed to Smith too much, not sure whether its because Gallagher and Hearn do a lot of talking for him but i'm looking forward to see him step up in the final eliminator now.
Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #77 on: November 07, 2015, 11:24:07 PM »

I'm nothing of a gambler, I rarely ever place a bet and if I do it almost always goes down the pan.  However, earlier I decided to have 20 on a Smith stoppage, Rounds 1 - 6 at 4/1.  In doing so, I noticed that a Round 1 stoppage to him was 40/1, and so 800 for a 20 bet, if it came off.  I was sorely tempted but in the end decided not to be greedy and to stick with the 4/1 shot.  Now, I cannot exactly decide if I've won or lost!   Cheesy
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #78 on: November 07, 2015, 11:25:58 PM »

I'm nothing of a gambler, I rarely ever place a bet and if I do it almost always goes down the pan.  However, earlier I decided to have 20 on a Smith stoppage, Rounds 1 - 6 at 4/1.  In doing so, I noticed that a Round 1 stoppage to him was 40/1, and so 800 for a 20 bet, if it came off.  I was sorely tempted but in the end decided not to be greedy and to stick with the 4/1 shot.  Now, I cannot exactly decide if I've won or lost!   Cheesy

Good spot, to be honest though nobody predicted a huge blow out like that.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:40 PM »

So I'm thinking Smith beats Groves. Sorry.
LiveFight
« Reply #79 on: November 07, 2015, 11:29:40 PM »

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #80 on: November 07, 2015, 11:45:57 PM »

So I'm thinking Smith beats Groves. Sorry.

I'm thinking that on current form Groves maybe lasts slightly longer than Fielding did tonight.

That was actually a brilliant round of boxing tonight just caught a re-run of it a few minutes ago. Neither fighter have remotely excited me in the past but Smith looked clinical and powerful, and Fielding showed tremendous resolve to survive as long as he did. I know that sounds daft seeing as he didn't make it past one round but after the first knockdown and subsequent onslaught he did well to withstand some bombs and even back Smith up a bit, but that second knockdown knocked most of the fight out of him.

Quality 2 and a bit minutes of fighting.
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #81 on: November 08, 2015, 12:50:42 AM »

Was a good night, shame I had some bellends round me throwing pints around (stone island Coke beer boys)

Decent night though, Callum looked incredible , was shocked as thought it might last a lot longer especially after the weigh in..

Ricky burns is still a C**t mind

Vlad The Impaler
V.I.P

« Reply #82 on: November 08, 2015, 01:00:55 AM »

Fair play to Callum Smith, showed his class as most people expected but don't think anybody, even in Smith camp, could have predicted that. I can't see the Groves fight happening as he has too much to lose and not enough to gain, Groves that is.

The Burns fight was shocking. It was like a cross between a pre-tonight Cardle fight crossed with Brian Rose. Woeful. Even as a massive fan I can honestly say there's no way he wins another world title. I don't see any improvement under Tony Sims either. Couldn't believe some of the comments from Halling and Watt during fight either; made out that Burns had went to Sims pre Jose Gonzalez fight and that his dip in performance from that fight until now was down to a) the level of opposition, 'a step up' I'm sure was mentioned, not to mention the 'jaw' injury and c) the ongoing legal issues with W*****. Fight was that boring that I actually Googled to double check when exactly it was Burns ditched Billy Nelson and it was after the Terence Crawford defeat (which in hindsight wasn't a bad loss considering what he is doing to other fighters recently) and Halling had actually written an article for Boxing News on this, nothing grates more when a commentator or analyst for a given sport doesn't know their shit. It's what you're paid to do! Anyway back to Burns, sad to see the decline and you can't help think that despite when he says/believes he's only really still doing it to make back money what he's lost over last couple of years. Signing with Matchroom really has backfired for him.

Speaking of Cardle, fight was very entertaining but he got VERY lucky. He could easily have been stopped in the 10th. As for the stoppage, made Howard Foster and IJL look good; he was lucky that it was not the main event of the evening or there would have been a riot! Glad to hear it looks like there will be a rematch; can't imagine it will be until the New Year with cuts that Cardle suffered. I would expect him to get through that but he's no better than British level on recent/current form, a more experienced / big punched will destroy him when he steps up.
jorg21
Executive Member

« Reply #83 on: November 08, 2015, 01:15:32 AM »

Fair play to Callum Smith, showed his class as most people expected but don't think anybody, even in Smith camp, could have predicted that. I can't see the Groves fight happening as he has too much to lose and not enough to gain, Groves that is.

The Burns fight was shocking. It was like a cross between a pre-tonight Cardle fight crossed with Brian Rose. Woeful. Even as a massive fan I can honestly say there's no way he wins another world title. I don't see any improvement under Tony Sims either. Couldn't believe some of the comments from Halling and Watt during fight either; made out that Burns had went to Sims pre Jose Gonzalez fight and that his dip in performance from that fight until now was down to a) the level of opposition, 'a step up' I'm sure was mentioned, not to mention the 'jaw' injury and c) the ongoing legal issues with ******. Fight was that boring that I actually Googled to double check when exactly it was Burns ditched Billy Nelson and it was after the Terence Crawford defeat (which in hindsight wasn't a bad loss considering what he is doing to other fighters recently) and Halling had actually written an article for Boxing News on this, nothing grates more when a commentator or analyst for a given sport doesn't know their shit. It's what you're paid to do! Anyway back to Burns, sad to see the decline and you can't help think that despite when he says/believes he's only really still doing it to make back money what he's lost over last couple of years. Signing with Matchroom really has backfired for him.

Speaking of Cardle, fight was very entertaining but he got VERY lucky. He could easily have been stopped in the 10th. As for the stoppage, made Howard Foster and IJL look good; he was lucky that it was not the main event of the evening or there would have been a riot! Glad to hear it looks like there will be a rematch; can't imagine it will be until the New Year with cuts that Cardle suffered. I would expect him to get through that but he's no better than British level on recent/current form, a more experienced / big punched will destroy him when he steps up.

Agreed I don't think the Smith-Groves fight will happen right now either and if it did I would have to be in agreement with Tim (Although he was probably looking for a reaction from certain people) that Smith would be the favourite in that fight.

I'm not sure where Ricky goes from tonight either his tactics were very strange he showed in rounds 10 and 11 that if he put a bit of distance between himself and King he beat him comfortably but the 9 rounds before that were horrible to watch, I hope he gets another crack at a world title and wins it because he looked good against Figueroa and then Ofotsu and he is a genuine nice guy but tonight his tactics were all wrong sitting in the pocket with a smaller guy.

Both Cardle and Dodd want a rematch and Eddie seems keen too so hopefully we get the rematch as that was definitely a FOTY contender so much back and forth between both guys.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #84 on: November 08, 2015, 04:20:14 AM »

A one round blow out vs a guy who nobody expected to win or rated that highly anyway, and everyone is excited.

Credit to smith it's a good display, but I must of slept through the time when people where picking Fielding to go on and rule the division.

Team Groves
DANIELK104

« Reply #85 on: November 08, 2015, 05:41:16 AM »

Very good 2 minutes and 45 seconds of boxing but like many have said, its Rocky Fielding he just beat, nothing against Rocky but that's just the truth in all fairness.

Its clear Hearn has a plan and its Murray to win the title of Abraham before matching Smith and Murray against each other in either Liverpool or Manchester next year and hoping Degale still has his MW title which could then set up a round robin between Smith, Murray, Degale and Groves (when the fruitcake sorts himself out)

"Celtic jerseys are not for second best, they don't shrink to fit inferior players" - Jock Stein - Greatest Celtic Manager Ever!!
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #86 on: November 08, 2015, 07:39:58 AM »

I'm thinking that on current form Groves maybe lasts slightly longer than Fielding did tonight.

That was actually a brilliant round of boxing tonight just caught a re-run of it a few minutes ago. Neither fighter have remotely excited me in the past but Smith looked clinical and powerful, and Fielding showed tremendous resolve to survive as long as he did. I know that sounds daft seeing as he didn't make it past one round but after the first knockdown and subsequent onslaught he did well to withstand some bombs and even back Smith up a bit, but that second knockdown knocked most of the fight out of him.

Quality 2 and a bit minutes of fighting.

I couldn't agree more...Rocky did well to even get up from that second knockdown...
tweetstreet
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #87 on: November 08, 2015, 08:20:18 AM »

I did think before the fight that there's a reason that Hearn is matching them now instead of down the line when he can play the 'they've both got world titles' card.

which makes me think Hearn didn't rate one of them enough beforehand to gain a world title, I always thought that of fielding too.

Plus with the wealth of potential super middle opposition available atm he didn't really need the pair of them.
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #88 on: November 08, 2015, 09:24:53 AM »

By the middle of next year matchroom "could" have 3 super middleweight world champions. It's quite possible that Martin Murray beats AA, Degale has the IBF, looks like Smith will be looking at Badou Jack.

Ward has vacated the WBA, maybe they can get Rocky a shot at a the vacant title and they'd have a clean sweep  Grin
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2015, 10:20:21 AM »

I was going to ask the thoughts of the masha/cardle fight,

I was bang in the middle of all the twats supporting him (I was hoping he'd win as cradles a plastic Scot) but I bought it was a fair stoppage and he would of lost anyway on the cards.

Couldn't really voice that without half off Birkenhead jumping on me last night

Saying that I'm not s huge cardle fan he's there for the taking and won't go any higher than he is
LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: