LiveFight
October 24, 2017, 07:51:44 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smith - Fielding  (Read 9266 times)
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2015, 11:02:17 AM »

I was going to ask the thoughts of the masha/cardle fight,

I was bang in the middle of all the twats supporting him (I was hoping he'd win as cradles a plastic Scot) but I bought it was a fair stoppage and he would of lost anyway on the cards.

Couldn't really voice that without half off Birkenhead jumping on me last night

Saying that I'm not s huge cardle fan he's there for the taking and won't go any higher than he is

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Was delighted I was just to the side of them.

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
LiveFight
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2015, 11:02:17 AM »

Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2015, 01:16:50 PM »

To be fair, there were plenty of reasonably well informed folk hereabouts who thought that the Fielding/Smith fight was very much a 50/50 affair.  It now transpires that it 'was only Fielding.......' that he beat.  I do appreciate that the more Smith blows people away in the very early rounds like this, the more folk will speculate what's gonna happen when he meets someone who can handle his power (same with Joshua really).  That's fair comment and these very early stoppages never answer the many questions about chin, stamina, ringcraft, recovery etc etc.  Still a very good performance though, and one that few expected.  The only thing that stopped me putting the 20 notes on a 1st round stoppage was that I didn't expect Smith to open up and unload any bombs for the first few rounds and just 'feel' his way into the fight.  I'd definitely be interested to know if he went into the fight with this as a plan, or if he just unloaded on the spur of the moment when he caught Fielding early with a decent punch?  He did also catch a couple of decent punches himself in that short period of time but none seemed to bother him.  I continue to accept him at face value and believe he has a very bright future.  As for a fight with Groves, to be honest, why would Smith want to bother with Groves at present?  George has a fair amount of regrouping to do before he becomes properly relevant again I'm afraid.  And I'm sure he knows that   Wink
V.I.P
Executive Member

Team Sevens

« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2015, 01:29:01 PM »

Said he never planned on it in his iFL TV interview but after Rocky threw a couple of weak jabs he decided to counter with a right and that's all she wrote

Paul says in his interview he put his money where his mouth is and got on Callum in round one at 40's
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #93 on: November 08, 2015, 01:34:42 PM »

Thinking about it surely the next big fight for Smith could likely be Murray. Good fight that.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »

Ricky Burns is shot if he can get another title shot or win and title and have a defense or two he'll be doing very well and I hope he's sensible enough to then get out the sport. Made hard work of an opponent he should have had out there in 6 rounds looks so slow and laboured now its unreal. I really hope he just retires he's punched above his weight his whole career but last night was painful viewing.

Smith looks a real talent and massive at the weight, he also looks like he could fill out a good bit as well. Terrific talent who's going to have a huge future in the sport. Its becoming a mouth watering division supermiddle weight with the domestic fighters we have as is middleweight. At this stage I think Groves would beat him just now another 3-5 fights and things might be very different.

A Slice of Life
LiveFight
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #95 on: November 08, 2015, 02:06:24 PM »

Given that Groves fought Froch in his 20th fight, does anyone think Smith would be able to put in a similar performance in 2 fights time against the same version of Froch?
willlywalllly
Executive Member

« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2015, 02:08:33 PM »

Given that Groves fought Froch in his 20th fight, does anyone think Smith would be able to put in a similar performance in 2 fights time against the same version of Froch?

good point... never mind groves, get smith in there with degale
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2015, 02:58:29 PM »

Hard one that as no one expected Groves to put on the first performance he did v Froch.
KnuckleSandwich

Gifted

« Reply #98 on: November 08, 2015, 03:19:06 PM »

good point... never mind groves, get smith in there with degale

I'd try and get Chudinov back over to the UK for the WBA or get Gilberto Ramirez over.

If Murray beats Abraham (which he wont as he'll have to KO him to win) I can see Hearn trying to make a big fight at Langtree Park next Summer.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #99 on: November 08, 2015, 04:04:51 PM »

Ricky Burns is shot if he can get another title shot or win and title and have a defense or two he'll be doing very well and I hope he's sensible enough to then get out the sport. Made hard work of an opponent he should have had out there in 6 rounds looks so slow and laboured now its unreal. I really hope he just retires he's punched above his weight his whole career but last night was painful viewing.
 fighters we have as is middleweight. At this stage I think Groves would beat him just now another 3-5 fights and things might be very different.

If he really is that shot then how do you explain the Figueroa performance only one fight previous to last night?

I just don't rate Burns that much anyway regardless but he must still have something in the tank if he can deliver better performances on a higher level. It's not like we haven't seen good fighters struggle when fighting at a lower level before it doesn't necessarily mean they are shot.

He was very good against Figueroa and perhaps a bit unlucky to drop the decision. I didn't see last night's performance but the reports don't surprise me that much, I just think there might be a case to make for him maybe not being that motivated for the fight? I don't know.
jorg21
Executive Member

« Reply #100 on: November 08, 2015, 09:47:18 PM »

If he really is that shot then how do you explain the Figueroa performance only one fight previous to last night?

I just don't rate Burns that much anyway regardless but he must still have something in the tank if he can deliver better performances on a higher level. It's not like we haven't seen good fighters struggle when fighting at a lower level before it doesn't necessarily mean they are shot.

He was very good against Figueroa and perhaps a bit unlucky to drop the decision. I didn't see last night's performance but the reports don't surprise me that much, I just think there might be a case to make for him maybe not being that motivated for the fight? I don't know.

That was a thought that ran through my mind last night the fight kinda reminded me of Martin Murray when he fought Khomitsky on a matchroom bill, Ricky fought the wrong fight last night and pretty much admitted himself on the IFL interview afterwards saying that he likes to fight and King dragged him into a fight last night. I don't think Ricky is finished I just think he's at the stage where he needs big fights to keep himself motivated and stick to a gameplan.
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #101 on: November 09, 2015, 07:18:23 AM »

I thought burns looked better at 140 than he has in his last few fights at 135
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #102 on: November 09, 2015, 12:36:10 PM »

Hard one that as no one expected Groves to put on the first performance he did v Froch.

George was a pro twice as long as Callum - regardless of number of fights, he'd been in gyms and training all that time around Haye, which brought it's own degree of experience for the big stage.

LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: