LiveFight
November 23, 2017, 09:33:52 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nick Blackwell unable to walk, at least 1 year until recovery  (Read 2259 times)
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:21 AM »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/boxing/nick-blackwell-unable-walk-due-9600909

Former British boxer Nick Blackwell is unable to walk after being injured in a sparring session - and remains a year away from a full recovery.

The former British middleweight champion was forced to retire last year after suffering severe head injuries in a fight with Chris Eubank Jr.

However, he took part in a sparring session in November which left him in a coma.

Blackwell's condition is said to be improving - although he has been told he faces a long road to recovery.

The 26-year-old requires another operation to replace part of his skull that was removed.

A hearing into the sparring section, which was unsanctioned, will be held on Wednesday with the British Boxing Board of Control wanting Blackwell to attend.

However, it has been confirmed he is not well enough to do so.

Meanwhile, Blackwell's former trainer Gary Lockett believes the fighter got back in the ring because he was unable to let go.

"We thought that was all going very well and while we knew Nick missed boxing, we obviously didn't realise the extent to which he missed it," Lockett told BBC.

"Nick has been a fool for what he has done, but we won't stop caring about him because of that and everyone is behind him with his recovery."
LiveFight
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:09:21 AM »

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »

Can't walk for a year yet I bet he's sparring this time next month, the guys a fool.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »

Can't walk for a year yet I bet he's sparring this time next month, the guys a fool.

Blackwell is well regarded and popular amongst those in the industry as a real nice guy.

That said, the same people think he's been very foolish doing what he has done, but concede the reason that it's in his blood.

The rest of us though have lost all of the goodwill that surrounded his first trip to hospital and like angry parents, are right in calling him a total plonker.

He's gonna have part of his skull replaced and will lose arguably some of the best years of his life as a result of this mistake - that's an enormous price to scratch his boxing itch in a spar.

There's little else to be said, and if anything this is both a stark warning to others, but also a really bad message to be sending out to the anti-boxing left wingers too.

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 11:30:48 AM »

That's it, all the sympathy, donations and well wishes has been thrown out the window. I get that it's in his blood etc but would expect him to be more concerned about his life then a little sparring session....not to mention his friends and relatives who have already been through this.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »

Bloody hell lads he's not hurt anyone else I wouldn't be abandoning the sympathy so totally. I do feel for him. I'm not a fighter and cannot imagine the kind of personality you would have to take on such a brutal career. I imagine it's not the kind of sport you can just pick up and drop off. I imagine there is a level of addiction and Blackwell has obviously succumbed to it to the extent where this has happened. I personally blame those around him who really should have known better than to allow him into the ring for that spar and hope their consciences weigh heavily on them right now. And going forward of course let's hope that this is one final lesson learned by Blackwell where he doesnt put himself in that position again because recovery may not be the option next time.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 12:35:44 PM »

GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 03:33:33 PM »

He still has my full sympathy...he obviously didn't make a "full recovery" first time round, as to me, a full recovery would mean being able to resume his boxing career...he clearly could not, and he simply made an unbelievable recovery in terms of speech and motor skills...

I would question whether the initial damage had an impact of his higher level cognitive reasoning, which I suspect it did,which would explain why he felt he could spar again...I have a fair amount of personal experience with people who have suffered severe brain injuries, and a common theme is that they tend to overestimate what they can do and underestimate the risk...

To me, I fully blame that idiot who sparred with him and the idiot trainer who accompanied them. The bottom line is, no matter how desperate he was to spar again, it can only become a reality if someone actually agrees to punch him in his head again...it's others who need to help safeguard Nick by not agreeing to his pleas to spar.
Chris
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »

How many people around him allowed the spar to happen? Should be blaming them not him.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2017, 01:33:34 PM »

How many people around him allowed the spar to happen? Should be blaming them not him.

Told by doctors not to spar....ignores them....not his fault. Ok.
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2017, 01:42:12 PM »

I have sympathy for the lad..

I dont wish a brain injury on anyone.

Yeah he's to blame but doesn't make me think 'serves you right'

Its a great shame, those around him are to blame, but so is he
liamo

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 03:34:47 PM »

I feel sorry for him, when u want something that bad u ignore the health risks because you're doing something u love and want to achieve. Not a comparison in any way shape or form but i have trained for 6 months for iron man events and 10-12 weeks for marathons only to get a stress fracture in your foot on the 15th k of the marathon or my ITB flare up and f*ck me that's sore- Yes I know continuing is going to cause more harm but there's no way you're giving in after all the work you've put in.

A bit like someone with any kind of addiction- it's the enablers that should carry the brunt of this. I know the chap sparring him wasn't trying to cause serious harm but he surely knew the extent of what had happened because of how well documented it was and obviously knowing him personally.

How could u jump in ring and punch him knowing that!!
Gibbo1
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 07:31:37 PM »

Selfish prick

stinka

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »

The lads a dick for getting in the ring. But anyone that spars him is more at fault, it's like someone asking you to shoot them, you just wouldn't do it.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2017, 12:47:47 PM »

I hear the addiction comments but look how much stick the likes of RJJ and Audley Harrison use to get for stepping in the ring when they were clearly past it...many claiming it to be a stupid risk(agree)

Now we have a guy that's been told by professionals that if he were to ever spar again he could die and yet people claim he wasn't at fault for doing so?
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2017, 12:57:05 PM »

I hear the addiction comments but look how much stick the likes of RJJ and Audley Harrison use to get for stepping in the ring when they were clearly past it...many claiming it to be a stupid risk(agree)

Now we have a guy that's been told by professionals that if he were to ever spar again he could die and yet people claim he wasn't at fault for doing so?

Mate, I'm absolutely convinced that first time round, the brain damage he suffered would have affected his higher level cognitive reasoning...he made an incredible recovery of his speech and motor function but the brain is an unforgiving organ, and higher level executive functioning is the one element that is nigh on impossible to recover from once lost. With good interventions, other parts of the brain can compensate in terms of gains back to speech and motor skills, but sadly it's not the same when it comes to cognitive functioning. The media were saying that he made a full recovery and in my opinion this was misleading...it's like saying that a footballer who suffered a career end ing injury has made a full recovery because he can walk again, but the fact he cannot play football again clearly shows he didn't make a full recovery. As such, I think we should be careful not to judge Nick in the absence of not actually been privy to his clinical records...I suspect that the main thing that's gone wrong here is him being in the company of people who were no good for him, because really and truly, anyone who has suffered such a horrific brain injury should be classed as a vulnerable person, the recovery of speech and movement is a misleader when looking at the full context of what he endured first time round in terms of brain damage
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2017, 01:06:20 PM »

Mate, I'm absolutely convinced that first time round, the brain damage he suffered would have affected his higher level cognitive reasoning...he made an incredible recovery of his speech and motor function but the brain is an unforgiving organ, and higher level executive functioning is the one element that is nigh on impossible to recover from once lost. With good interventions, other parts of the brain can compensate in terms of gains back to speech and motor skills, but sadly it's not the same when it comes to cognitive functioning. The media were saying that he made a full recovery and in my opinion this was misleading...it's like saying that a footballer who suffered a career end ing injury has made a full recovery because he can walk again, but the fact he cannot play football again clearly shows he didn't make a full recovery. As such, I think we should be careful not to judge Nick in the absence of not actually been privy to his clinical records...I suspect that the main thing that's gone wrong here is him being in the company of people who were no good for him, because really and truly, anyone who has suffered such a horrific brain injury should be classed as a vulnerable person, the recovery of speech and movement is a misleader when looking at the full context of what he endured first time round in terms of brain damage

That's likely the case but can be said for most boxers tbf though. Concussion alone can lead to risk taking and poor decision making.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: