LiveFight
October 20, 2017, 08:39:59 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayweather v McGregor  (Read 29850 times)
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #525 on: August 28, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »

You see debut fighters going against one of the best of all time every week?
Nope you don't.

Hence the spectacle and the big money.

All that aside for elitist criticism it got it was better entertainment and more competitive than 3 quarters of the world title fight mismatches boxing fans are used to.

LiveFight
« Reply #525 on: August 28, 2017, 08:16:04 PM »

bigbibbs

« Reply #526 on: August 28, 2017, 08:59:13 PM »

Now let's put this behind us and move on with the years real big fight.
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #527 on: August 28, 2017, 11:29:05 PM »

Now let's put this behind us and move on with the years real big fight.

Absolutely. Lord help us if GGG v Canelo ends up being a snooze fest.  Grin

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #528 on: August 29, 2017, 06:14:46 AM »

Hence the spectacle and the big money.

All that aside for elitist criticism it got it was better entertainment and more competitive than 3 quarters of the world title fight mismatches boxing fans are used to.

It was never competitive mate. Not for 10 seconds... it was as competitive as hulk hogan v an un branded wrestler. The new kid might get a clothes line in andvdrop hogan, but the result is never in doubt. There was no competition.
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #529 on: August 29, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »

It was never competitive mate. Not for 10 seconds... it was as competitive as hulk hogan v an un branded wrestler. The new kid might get a clothes line in andvdrop hogan, but the result is never in doubt. There was no competition.

You've just described a good majority of boxings current world title fights. Yet you've chosen this fight to speak out against it? Despite it being more competitive than the Jack v Clev 'world title fight' before it and the Cotto v Kamegai 'world title fight' on the other channel.

LiveFight
« Reply #529 on: August 29, 2017, 09:03:15 AM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #530 on: August 29, 2017, 09:16:14 AM »

There is a big difference though.  On paper, Clev v Jack was a competitive fight, Mayweather v McGregor wasn't.  There are some mismatched World title fights but to say the majority are is off the mark.

You may as well say the same for the UFC because of McGregor v Aldo.
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #531 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »

There is a big difference though.  On paper, Clev v Jack was a competitive fight, Mayweather v McGregor wasn't.  There are some mismatched World title fights but to say the majority are is off the mark.

You may as well say the same for the UFC because of McGregor v Aldo.

No I'd say I'm pretty on the mark. Just as many lopsided odds world title fights in boxing or pre determined ones as there are competitive ones.

Certainly more than enough for the elite boxing fans to be talking out of their arse when they complain about the competitiveness of Saturdays big fight.

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #532 on: August 29, 2017, 10:23:39 AM »

With Canelo v GGG, the Super-Fly card and both World Series of Boxing tournaments starting I'd say there are plenty of competitive match-ups in the very near future.

The odd bad or uncompetitive world title fight doesn't validate Mayweather v McGregor or improve McGregor's competitiveness in the fight.
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #533 on: August 29, 2017, 11:16:10 AM »

With Canelo v GGG, the Super-Fly card and both World Series of Boxing tournaments starting I'd say there are plenty of competitive match-ups in the very near future.

The odd bad or uncompetitive world title fight doesn't validate Mayweather v McGregor or improve McGregor's competitiveness in the fight.

Canelo v GGG which took years of mismatches and catchweights to finally put together and the World Series of boxing tournament which I can now predict all 8 semi finalists already.. great examples 👍

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #534 on: August 29, 2017, 11:59:20 AM »

So because of what went before GGG v Canelo isn't a competitive fight?  And you can make a prediction which may or may not be accurate so the WSSB match-ups aren't either.  At least you didn't bother trying to twist the Super-Fly card to suit your narrative.

Maybe if McGregor had fought Khabib on Saturday night we'd have seen him in a competitive fight but he didn't so we didn't.
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #535 on: August 29, 2017, 12:27:46 PM »

So because of what went before GGG v Canelo isn't a competitive fight?  And you can make a prediction which may or may not be accurate so the WSSB match-ups aren't either.  At least you didn't bother trying to twist the Super-Fly card to suit your narrative.

Maybe if McGregor had fought Khabib on Saturday night we'd have seen him in a competitive fight but he didn't so we didn't.

GGG v Canelo is a competitive fight but the years of BS it took to make it happen is far more of a circus than what we witnessed on Saturday.

I can accurately predict all 8 semi finalists now barring injuries, that doesn't scream competitiveness to me..

Your losing sight of what my argument is. McGregor and saturdays event are being criticised by boxing snobs yet it was more competitive and entertaining than a good portion of the sports actual world title competition if you can call it that..

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #536 on: August 29, 2017, 12:47:06 PM »

GGG v Canelo did take too long to get made but now since it has been signed it has been down to business and it is certainly no circus.

Even if you did predict the outcomes correctly, it doesn't necessitate that they are uncompetitive bouts.  In the Cruiser edition has the majority of top fighters in the division in it and is going to produce a unified champion at its conclusion.  Every single match-up is decent on paper and they will get better as the tournament progresses.

I haven't lost sight of your argument but Saturday's fight wasn't competitive nor particularly entertaining.  People want to believe it was to make them feel better about thinking McGregor could win and spending 20 for the privilege to find out he couldn't.
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #537 on: August 29, 2017, 01:15:03 PM »

GGG v Canelo did take too long to get made but now since it has been signed it has been down to business and it is certainly no circus.

Even if you did predict the outcomes correctly, it doesn't necessitate that they are uncompetitive bouts.  In the Cruiser edition has the majority of top fighters in the division in it and is going to produce a unified champion at its conclusion.  Every single match-up is decent on paper and they will get better as the tournament progresses.

I haven't lost sight of your argument but Saturday's fight wasn't competitive nor particularly entertaining.  People want to believe it was to make them feel better about thinking McGregor could win and spending 20 for the privilege to find out he couldn't.

I didn't think Conor could win nor did I have to pay for the event as I watched at a friends house, so what exactly do I need to feel better about?

I've seen a lot of boxing apologists and elitists criticise the fight and their criticisms for the fight describes a good portion of Boxings so called top level, world championship competition. McGregor did well early in the fight a lot better than most knowledgable fans thought he could. So you can deny it wasn't competitive in slightest and you can argue that boxing actually does have a competitive world title fight every couple of months and that's fine but what you can't argue against is the hypocrisy involved in my above observations.

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #538 on: August 29, 2017, 03:28:18 PM »

Not to sure about that. https://m.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/#!sport?sportId=9&tab=competition

Look at the odds on some of these fights. Huck 8/1, Campbell 3/1, Skoglund 7/1, Monroe jr 9/4, Yildirim 7/2, Cox 4/1, Pulev 9/1

Pretty grim reading tbh.
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #539 on: August 29, 2017, 03:46:57 PM »

Not to sure about that. https://m.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/#!sport?sportId=9&tab=competition

Look at the odds on some of these fights. Huck 8/1, Campbell 3/1, Skoglund 7/1, Monroe jr 9/4, Yildirim 7/2, Cox 4/1, Pulev 9/1

Pretty grim reading tbh.

Yet how dare some bigshot from MMA try to kill the sport of boxing by coming in and performing better than half of the above names will in his first try.

LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: