LiveFight
October 21, 2017, 05:49:18 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayweather v McGregor  (Read 30011 times)
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »

I can't see Mayweather showboating, that's not really his style. I can however see him being extremely clinical, extremely masterful, and extremely vicious

He does showboat a bit....talks to them a bit, makes mocking gestures, shakes his head etc.

Thing is if he's clinical and vicious in this one....then he'll win inside 5 rounds tops and he'll hand out such a one sided drubbing it'll be embarrassing. I wonder if he'll try and drag it out to make it seem like it was worth people stumping up for.
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2017, 09:58:16 PM »

Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2017, 10:02:30 PM »

I doubt McGregor could even do a full 12 rounds of hard sparring how he expected to do it against Mayweather. Awful idea to what would be an awful and pointless fight.
ralphy

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2017, 10:13:31 PM »

whats the point - it's like asking a cricketer to go off and play baseball

If it's in a boxing ring mayweather eats him alive and vice-a-versa if it's in the octagon. Completely different sports and completely different skill sets

the entire idea beggars belief really and is a sad indictment on both boxing and UFC in the modern era Sad 
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2017, 10:57:43 PM »

Dana White wont want his cash cow away from UFC for six months to train, fight and recover...

... especially given he will earn a fortune compared to what Dana usually gives him. He might not fight again and just count his dollars.
ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »

Mayweather and White have both said that it is nowhere close to being done.

Floyd sent McGregor a message on social media saying that he needs to take care of his "UFC stuff" and then talk to him. Essentially, telling him to talk to his boss. No way in hell that White is letting him fight before the contract is up. If he tries to go around them, it will get tied up in court until Floyd is ACTUALLY retired. Would be a waste of a career to take on a billion dollar company.

Conor hates the fact that he is an employee of the UFC and it kills him when Floyd points this out. I think this could be the beginning of the end for Conor. I don't think he will be able to spend another two years or so in the UFC fighting for a few million at a time. In the back of his head, he will be thinking about how they stopped him from making $100 million in a night.  
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2017, 11:16:15 PM »

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2017, 11:34:22 PM »

Mayweather and White have both said that it is nowhere close to being done.

Floyd sent McGregor a message on social media saying that he needs to take care of his "UFC stuff" and then talk to him. Essentially, telling him to talk to his boss. No way in hell that White is letting him fight before the contract is up. If he tries to go around them, it will get tied up in court until Floyd is ACTUALLY retired. Would be a waste of a career to take on a billion dollar company.

Conor hates the fact that he is an employee of the UFC and it kills him when Floyd points this out. I think this could be the beginning of the end for Conor. I don't think he will be able to spend another two years or so in the UFC fighting for a few million at a time. In the back of his head, he will be thinking about how they stopped him from making $100 million in a night.  

Surely he could chuck the UFC a reaction of the money he will make from this fight in exchange for them allowing him to breach contract in a one time deal.
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2017, 08:37:39 AM »

Didn't Mcgregor already point out that UFC fighters under contract have been allowed to compete in other combat tournaments not connected to the UFC in the past. I guess he needs to read his contract.

We are talking about huge TV networks involved.  The UFC will lose out if they are the only obstacle.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 08:39:49 AM by Scarface » Logged

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2017, 09:29:28 AM »

Surely he could chuck the UFC a reaction of the money he will make from this fight in exchange for them allowing him to breach contract in a one time deal.

The model that the UFC has created allows them to take the majority of the ppv dollars with UFC events. With this fight, Floyd would want at least half (if not more) of the ppv dollars. An even split of the rest would leave Conor and the UFC with less than a third of the profits. I would imagine that what the UFC take from a regular UFC ppv event is more than, or in the range of, what they would get if they split a ppv three ways with Floyd and Conor.

It makes very little business sense for the UFC to allow this to happen. Even if a three-way split allowed them gain slightly more than what they normally would from a regular ppv, they would be endangering their business model. The message would be sent that fighters can strike out into business for themselves and it would take attention away from their sport.

Conor's attempt to draw parallels between fighters being allowed to compete in grappling tournaments is weak. Those tournaments do not produce hundreds of millions of dollars, or promote a sport that competes with the UFC for ppv dollars. Also, it is not a given that they can compete in those tournaments. Bellator just recently prevented Sonnen from competing in one.

As I said, Conor may ruin his career trying to chase this down. He really does believe that he is bigger than the UFC at this point and believes he should be paid as such. Even though this fight was never going to be a reality, he will view it as the UFC preventing him from a major payday. I can't see him settling for peanuts in four more UFC fights.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 09:38:03 AM by ChicagoFightFan » Logged
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2017, 10:11:03 AM »

Perhaps a co-promotion between UFC & Mayweather Promotions ?

UFC take all the sales via their usual channels and Mayweather takes the Sho box office etc - or they pool the lot and decide a split.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2017, 11:14:05 AM »

The model that the UFC has created allows them to take the majority of the ppv dollars with UFC events. With this fight, Floyd would want at least half (if not more) of the ppv dollars. An even split of the rest would leave Conor and the UFC with less than a third of the profits. I would imagine that what the UFC take from a regular UFC ppv event is more than, or in the range of, what they would get if they split a ppv three ways with Floyd and Conor.

It makes very little business sense for the UFC to allow this to happen. Even if a three-way split allowed them gain slightly more than what they normally would from a regular ppv, they would be endangering their business model. The message would be sent that fighters can strike out into business for themselves and it would take attention away from their sport.

Conor's attempt to draw parallels between fighters being allowed to compete in grappling tournaments is weak. Those tournaments do not produce hundreds of millions of dollars, or promote a sport that competes with the UFC for ppv dollars. Also, it is not a given that they can compete in those tournaments. Bellator just recently prevented Sonnen from competing in one.

As I said, Conor may ruin his career trying to chase this down. He really does believe that he is bigger than the UFC at this point and believes he should be paid as such. Even though this fight was never going to be a reality, he will view it as the UFC preventing him from a major payday. I can't see him settling for peanuts in four more UFC fights.

I just think Conor often gets his way with the UFC and if he were to refuse to fight for them again should they block this fight then they'll be loosing even more money then what they would just allowing him a one off v Mayweather.
Laney
V.I.P
Executive Member

Eddie Hearn fanclub

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2017, 11:52:54 AM »

Don't know if I'm missing something here but isn't mcgregors contract with the UFC for MMA bouts? If he wants to have a boxing bout how can the UFC stand in the way?

Entered the stadium on a bus, left looking like he'd just been hit by one.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

Don't know if I'm missing something here but isn't mcgregors contract with the UFC for MMA bouts? If he wants to have a boxing bout how can the UFC stand in the way?

It's probably the same as most employment contracts.  My contract at work is to do law but I'd still have to get permission to go and do a few shifts down my local pub or whatever.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »

It's probably the same as most employment contracts.  My contract at work is to do law but I'd still have to get permission to go and do a few shifts down my local pub or whatever.

Conflict of interest?
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2017, 12:13:33 PM »

Conflict of interest?

How so?
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2017, 12:30:00 PM »

It's probably the same as most employment contracts.  My contract at work is to do law but I'd still have to get permission to go and do a few shifts down my local pub or whatever.

Most employment contracts hire your time say 40 hours per week across 5 days of the week.  But if you worked in a pub on the Saturday... all you need to do is tell the tax man of the additional income. You don't need to tell your main employer.

I might be wrong but i assume mcgregor gets paid only when he fights. If he is salaried then he needs to read clauses in his contract.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: