LiveFight
October 22, 2017, 08:49:24 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayweather v McGregor  (Read 30117 times)
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #540 on: August 29, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »

You've just described a good majority of boxings current world title fights. Yet you've chosen this fight to speak out against it? Despite it being more competitive than the Jack v Clev 'world title fight' before it and the Cotto v Kamegai 'world title fight' on the other channel.

4 pro boxers in those fights though mate, hence makes it more competitive.
The fact they ended up one sided is neither here nor there, they were competed by pro boxers.
The mayweather fight was just an exhibition that lasted as long as food wanted it to, the other fights were not decided in such a cynical fashion.
LiveFight
« Reply #540 on: August 29, 2017, 04:21:31 PM »

The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #541 on: August 29, 2017, 04:40:46 PM »

4 pro boxers in those fights though mate, hence makes it more competitive.
The fact they ended up one sided is neither here nor there, they were competed by pro boxers.
The mayweather fight was just an exhibition that lasted as long as food wanted it to, the other fights were not decided in such a cynical fashion.

3 fights Saturday night, 3 fighters, all at 3/1 to win Clev, McGregor and Kamegai which leads to a few pertinent questions.. who won the most rounds out of all 3? Conor. Who had the best opponent out of all 3? Conor. Who landed the most punches out of all 3? Conor. Whose never done this before out of all 3? If I had no prior knowledge of any of them or their backgrounds and watched all 3 fights I'd have gone for Clev.

if there's anything in boxing from Saturday to be embarrassed about Conor's first time effort against the best isn't it.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:43:24 PM by The_Answer » Logged

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #542 on: August 29, 2017, 05:35:13 PM »

VETERAN PRO BOXER Allan Green (comments on the May-Mac fight)

Ok, about the fight. For people who dont understand boxing. What you saw was a 29 year old fighter who outweighed a 40 year old who hadnt fought in 2 years by about 20 pounds get walked through. What Floyd did was simple, he walked him down with a high guard, barley through any punches the first 3 rounds. He played chess with the young man. Connor didnt know any better and just kept throwing punches at Floyds guard which cast the illusion that he was doing well. Granted he landed some but guess what? He was never in the fight, the way Floyd did him was the way most pros spar with amateurs. We play with them, let them do their thing, smile at them (which Floyd did) and keep walking them down because we already know where its going. Connor just kept throwing punches and Floyd kept coming forward. Around the 5th round it turned into Connor throwing punches to keep Floyd off of him as opposed to initiating offense. As any boxer knows, when you start doing that its the beginning of the end. Connor didnt run out of gas, thats not how it works. Floyd ran him out of gas, Floyd drained him. By walking him down, touching his body and blocking his punches. He wanted to show Connor that he didnt have power by boxing standards. He got drained, he couldnt hurt Floyd, and eventually got walked through like wet paper. But people say Floyd was supposed to be the runner. Connor was the only one trying to stay away from Floyd. The pressure was too much for him. Thats why everytime Floyd got close he would grab Floyd hold on for dear life like a kid hugging his father. He had moments because Floyd allowed him to but ultimately ended up getting mauled. Battered helplessly on the ropes. Again, he didnt run out of gas. Floyd drained him. We're all grown here, so lets not start the retarded "Floyd should come to the Octagon now" stop. Floyd is 40, was retired, Connor talked himself into an ass whoopin and he got it. No one was saying Toney should fight Couture in a boxing match. Hell, Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Sylvia in the Octagon and Ray Mercer has loss in the Octagon. Its combat sports, it happens. So if you thought Connor had a chance of winning, slap yourself right now and you arent allowed to talk about fighting for at least a month. This is chess not checkers.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #543 on: August 29, 2017, 06:15:53 PM »

No one is disputing that Conor was ever going to beat Mayweather but what kind of idiot gave Celeverly a chance v Jack or Kamagai a chance v Cotto. All fights were foregone conclusions and the only one with any question marks was the McGrgeor fight as he was an u known quantity. Mayweather lost the early rounds for two reasons...one he gambled on McGregor gassing and two he had no idea what McGregor had to offer. Mayweather doesn't take chances and that's why he's so successful.
unknown
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #544 on: August 29, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »

VETERAN PRO BOXER Allan Green (comments on the May-Mac fight)

Ok, about the fight. For people who dont understand boxing. What you saw was a 29 year old fighter who outweighed a 40 year old who hadnt fought in 2 years by about 20 pounds get walked through. What Floyd did was simple, he walked him down with a high guard, barley through any punches the first 3 rounds. He played chess with the young man. Connor didnt know any better and just kept throwing punches at Floyds guard which cast the illusion that he was doing well. Granted he landed some but guess what? He was never in the fight, the way Floyd did him was the way most pros spar with amateurs. We play with them, let them do their thing, smile at them (which Floyd did) and keep walking them down because we already know where its going. Connor just kept throwing punches and Floyd kept coming forward. Around the 5th round it turned into Connor throwing punches to keep Floyd off of him as opposed to initiating offense. As any boxer knows, when you start doing that its the beginning of the end. Connor didnt run out of gas, thats not how it works. Floyd ran him out of gas, Floyd drained him. By walking him down, touching his body and blocking his punches. He wanted to show Connor that he didnt have power by boxing standards. He got drained, he couldnt hurt Floyd, and eventually got walked through like wet paper. But people say Floyd was supposed to be the runner. Connor was the only one trying to stay away from Floyd. The pressure was too much for him. Thats why everytime Floyd got close he would grab Floyd hold on for dear life like a kid hugging his father. He had moments because Floyd allowed him to but ultimately ended up getting mauled. Battered helplessly on the ropes. Again, he didnt run out of gas. Floyd drained him. We're all grown here, so lets not start the retarded "Floyd should come to the Octagon now" stop. Floyd is 40, was retired, Connor talked himself into an ass whoopin and he got it. No one was saying Toney should fight Couture in a boxing match. Hell, Ray Mercer knocked out Tim Sylvia in the Octagon and Ray Mercer has loss in the Octagon. Its combat sports, it happens. So if you thought Connor had a chance of winning, slap yourself right now and you arent allowed to talk about fighting for at least a month. This is chess not checkers.

He is all but correct but on one important, very important point.

Connor ended Mayweather in the 9th with a vicious right to the body, and it took a fixed ref to save Money from getting completely KTFO in the corner.

It is what it is, it was a body shot and Mayweather had to cheat his way out of it with a fix ref no?

To me that raises a tidy little question mark over the result, not huge but it is what it is, Connor folded Mayweather in half with a legal shot and the fight was interrupted, incorrectly.

Fight is just a touch void imo.

LiveFight
« Reply #544 on: August 29, 2017, 07:35:52 PM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #545 on: August 29, 2017, 08:57:00 PM »

He is all but correct but on one important, very important point.

Connor ended Mayweather in the 9th with a vicious right to the body, and it took a fixed ref to save Money from getting completely KTFO in the corner.

It is what it is, it was a body shot and Mayweather had to cheat his way out of it with a fix ref no?

To me that raises a tidy little question mark over the result, not huge but it is what it is, Connor folded Mayweather in half with a legal shot and the fight was interrupted, incorrectly.

Fight is just a touch void imo.

Watch it again....the shot was clearly low, and with or without the referee's intervention Mayweather was never in any danger of getting KTFO. McGregor won some rounds but he was never a danger to win the actual fight. Mayweather toyed with Connor when all is said and done....as of course he should have done.
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #546 on: August 29, 2017, 10:56:34 PM »

I had McGregor up 4 or 5 rounds going into round 6.

It was unlike Mayweather to give away rounds usually its the total opposite.

Yet despite that being his tactic to have McGregor punch himself out...  The corruption came from the Judges scoring these very rounds to mayweather - without actually throwing any punches. Pretty disgusting.

Boxing officials cannot be seen to give boxing rounds to an MMA guy. Very biased... very petty.

The ref telling Mcgregor the rules in the ring - when he had plenty of time to do it before was totally over-the-top and cringe worthy too.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 11:09:04 PM by Scarface » Logged

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #547 on: August 30, 2017, 05:50:44 AM »

Watch it again....the shot was clearly low, and with or without the referee's intervention Mayweather was never in any danger of getting KTFO. McGregor won some rounds but he was never a danger to win the actual fight. Mayweather toyed with Connor when all is said and done....as of course he should have done.

At first, I thought the shot was clearly low...however, when I watched the fight back, it looks to me that the shot hit Floyd at the belt line, and if you see the ref's instructions before the fight, he said that shots on the belt were GOOD...I dunno, maybe Floyd's belt dropped during the fight (i.e. the effect of sweat etc), but I think it's at least open to debate as to whether the shot was good or not...I'm not saying Conor would have stopped Floyd because i think Floyd would have found a way to recover even without the ref saying it was low, but it clearly did effect him...
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #548 on: August 30, 2017, 09:23:20 AM »

At first, I thought the shot was clearly low...however, when I watched the fight back, it looks to me that the shot hit Floyd at the belt line, and if you see the ref's instructions before the fight, he said that shots on the belt were GOOD...I dunno, maybe Floyd's belt dropped during the fight (i.e. the effect of sweat etc), but I think it's at least open to debate as to whether the shot was good or not...I'm not saying Conor would have stopped Floyd because i think Floyd would have found a way to recover even without the ref saying it was low, but it clearly did effect him...

Agree with this, don't think Floyd was in that much trouble mind as he seemed fine once the action continued.

Can't see why so many people are going on like McGrgeor was played with etc. He just didn't have the conditioning to compete over the distance. He did no better or worse then several top guys that have faced Mayweather.
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #549 on: August 30, 2017, 12:48:29 PM »

He caught Floyd on the belt. Nothing low about it if you listen to the refs instructions before the fight. Was Floyd genuinely hurt by it? Or was he playing to the ref? Who knows.

In the end it was mcgregor's lack of cardio, inexperience, in inability to fight off the back foot and lack of power (technique)that lost him the fight.
If Mcgregor had a proper boxing trainer he could have corrected most of those things. Hit the f***ing road jack, study the technique of great inside fighters, and get a decent trainer to show him how to leverage his punches and throw them correctly. Alot of those punches, especially on the inside were arm punches. Floyd didn't respect Conors power and waited for him to gas out.

Having watched the fight again I still think Mcgregor did really well. He surprised alot of people. But with those corrections in place he could have done so much better. He was trained by complete novices for christ sake. Novices that Paulie called cheerleaders.
cowboy55
the court jester supreme
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #550 on: August 30, 2017, 12:48:51 PM »

Gee a body shot to Mayweather?seems to me that's not the first time a ref has "stepped" in and ended close in/body shots.Just ask Ricky.He hit numbnutz with a vicious left in the second that could have been the start of something if "I'm fair but I'm square"Cortez hadn't meddled

god bless ya Larry Costa-running laps in that track in the sky&remember all the little dudes-they're what it's all about mateys
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #551 on: August 30, 2017, 01:07:47 PM »

He caught Floyd on the belt. Nothing low about it if you listen to the refs instructions before the fight. Was Floyd genuinely hurt by it? Or was he playing to the ref? Who knows.

In the end it was mcgregor's lack of cardio, inexperience, in inability to fight off the back foot and lack of power (technique)that lost him the fight.
If Mcgregor had a proper boxing trainer he could have corrected most of those things. Hit the f***ing road jack, study the technique of great inside fighters, and get a decent trainer to show him how to leverage his punches and throw them correctly. Alot of those punches, especially on the inside were arm punches. Floyd didn't respect Conors power and waited for him to gas out.

Having watched the fight again I still think Mcgregor did really well. He surprised alot of people. But with those corrections in place he could have done so much better. He was trained by complete novices for christ sake. Novices that Paulie called cheerleaders.

I'm of the opinion that McGregor would have put up a relatively close fight had he the conditioning. I gave him 4 rounds out of the 10.
mooreman
Executive Member

The Sandman

« Reply #552 on: August 30, 2017, 07:30:31 PM »

Mcgregor wasn't fit enough. End of.. Didn't compete because he didn't deserve to. He looked great in the first because he wasn't thinking like a boxer. He never stood a chance and quite likely didn't give a shite either.
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #553 on: August 30, 2017, 07:38:56 PM »

I'm of the opinion that McGregor would have put up a relatively close fight had he the conditioning. I gave him 4 rounds out of the 10.
Exactly, and theres nothing scientific about it either. He doesn't need science telling him whats what. Back in the day when they were all doing 15 rounders, even the heavyweights. It didn't cost them nothing extra either. A pair of trainers and a very long road will take care of his cardio. Id say stay the hell away from Diaz until he hits the road and gets his cardio right. He'll get out lasted by Nate otherwise. Diaz isn't worthy of being a belt holder. He's a borderline journey man.

On another note..... PPV figures were smashed. 6.5 million buys.  Shocked
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:50:32 PM by Tuco » Logged
wbamitch

« Reply #554 on: August 30, 2017, 08:19:45 PM »

It wasn't that bad, I enjoyed seen Mcgregor getting stopped. Mcgregor had me a bit taken aback the first couple of rounds, of course the size difference was glaring but I thought he had Mayweather's number for a little while, this version of Mayweather anyway. He looked slow and certainly not the same fighter of even a few years back, I expected Mcgregor to be awkward and give him a few problems but this was more than I expected. Mayweather finally got some work off and then Mcgregor's conditioning, wow, that really sealed the deal. I heard it was questionable but my god I have never seen anything like it, Mayweather's not exactly an active high pace guy and he had barely passed the doing nothing stage.

McGregor was visibly breathing heavy after 4 and you knew he was in big trouble after that, Mayweather landed some nice body shots, how much affect they had on an already draining Mcgregor I don't know. It wasn't a smooth performance by Floyd but he did what he had to do and basically walked Mcgregor down, he was still accurate enough although again nowhere near vintage, although how many times do we so Floyd go for a victory in that method. Mcgregor summed it up well post fight in that Floyd was very composed, he knew he had his man and in the end the levels showed. You certainly do worry for Mcgregor if he continues to go past the first couple of rounds in fights.

Hopefully Mayweather sticks to retirement now, he needs to. I would have liked to seen him put Mcgregor to the floor which I think was very close but I did also say at the time it's getting dangerous so maybe I had a bit of compassion for him. Clearly not vintage Floyd but I enjoyed seeing the old man still put a beating on Mcgregor.

Now moving on to serious boxing..
LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: