LiveFight
November 20, 2017, 06:59:52 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interview with Billy graham and Kerry Kayes part one  (Read 1577 times)
Richie Bee

« on: February 26, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »

https://youtu.be/30MFEM0e1K4
LiveFight
« on: February 26, 2017, 09:29:35 PM »

stinka

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 08:55:31 AM »

That was absolutely terrific  Smiley

Loved to hear billy talking about the glory days of the Hatton years. He seems to have aged a fair bit in 9 or so years since I've really seen much of him. I wonder if his hands are still giving him grief, as far as I know he doesn't train fighters anymore tho ?

I'd love to know more about these shady characters that Ricky surrounded himself with, obviously you read rumours and stories on forums and social media, these tossers must have contributed heavily to his downfall over the last few years.

And fook joe Cortez man, that guy needs a bullet

stinka

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2017, 09:02:11 AM »

Also, one of the nicest guys I've met in boxing  Smiley

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2017, 09:09:35 AM »

I'm struggling to accept that this December will mark a decade since Hatton v Mayweather. 
Richie Bee

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »

That was absolutely terrific  Smiley

Loved to hear billy talking about the glory days of the Hatton years. He seems to have aged a fair bit in 9 or so years since I've really seen much of him. I wonder if his hands are still giving him grief, as far as I know he doesn't train fighters anymore tho ?

I'd love to know more about these shady characters that Ricky surrounded himself with, obviously you read rumours and stories on forums and social media, these tossers must have contributed heavily to his downfall over the last few years.

And fook joe Cortez man, that guy needs a bullet

Wait till part two , much more to come believe me !
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2017, 12:27:30 PM »

AndyE
V.I.P

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2017, 01:37:52 PM »

Nearly 10 years ago jesus... feels like yesterday. I'll always remember landing in Vegas the atmosphere even then was immense.

Oh and not to mention 1 for $2 Cheesy

Proud member since 2009 - just never posts!
Kevan2
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Doctor will see you now

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2017, 02:56:24 PM »

Enjoyed that.... looking forward to part 2.
Thanks for posting
   Joe Cortez ruined everything that night. Dirty scumbag.

Dear Santa, this year i have been a very good boy, well, nearly all year, well to be honest, you can hardly call it good, oh phuck it, never mind, i\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll buy my own shit!!
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2017, 03:41:25 PM »

Does anyone know who the bad people around Ricky Hatton that Billy refers to actually are?

Who does he mean....are we talking friends, hangers on? Or are we more
talking people with official roles, agents, representatives etc?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
stinka

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »

I think it was some scum bag associates from the manchester underworld from what I've read previously. Heavies into organised crime and protection.
Leve Lad
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 08:07:48 PM »

Gibbo  Grin

"I'm not saying I have any pearls of wisdom, but I have a few questions to ask."  Jim Kerr
G-man
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2017, 07:52:21 AM »

Does anyone know who the bad people around Ricky Hatton that Billy refers to actually are?

Who does he mean....are we talking friends, hangers on? Or are we more
talking people with official roles, agents, representatives etc?

Can anyone shed any light on this?
I think it's probably a combination of all those parts.

I used bunk off college to visit Phoenix Camp and just watch the boxers train i was that obsessed with the sport. At that time Ricky hadn't even turned pro and Billy had the likes of Ensley Bingham, Carl Thompson, Maurice Core, Paul Burke, Andy Holligan, Fran Harding, Chris Barnett etc. Billy was always really welcoming but he seemed hugely protective of his stable and always looked like he could sniff out a wrong 'un 'outsider' from a mile away - it was easier to control who was around and it was a close knit team.

Ricky turning pro was a big deal - he was highly sought after from a promotional perspective and people were already talking about him from his amateur career so he was always going likely to be involved in some big fights down the line and i was still lucky enough to be able to visit the
gym once he became a TV fighter. What i would say, and it's only my opinion, is that in the build up to the Mayweather fight things went to a different level in terms of promotional obligations and bodies involved in some capacity. There is obviously a financial reward for being in marquee events but it goes without saying you have more people fleeing in your ear, looking for opportunities to a make a few quid or simply wanting to be around you. At this point it becomes near impossible or certainly harder for the close team to control who's involved and i suppose with that comes a certain amount of paranoia. We've all heard stories about Billy no longer being physically up to the rigours of training - i don't know whether that's true or not - but it's always made me wonder whether outside influences turned Ricky's head and that's what ultimately led to Billy walking away.

I've always found both Billy and Kerry very personable and i used to love catching a few words with Billy outside the gym doors when he was having a fag. His passion for the sport was obvious and his eyes would light up when he was talking about certain fighters. I no longer live locally but i've also seen Kerry since and he still always finds time for a chat.

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 08:48:50 AM »

I think it's probably a combination of all those parts.

I used bunk off college to visit Phoenix Camp and just watch the boxers train i was that obsessed with the sport. At that time Ricky hadn't even turned pro and Billy had the likes of Ensley Bingham, Carl Thompson, Maurice Core, Paul Burke, Andy Holligan, Fran Harding, Chris Barnett etc. Billy was always really welcoming but he seemed hugely protective of his stable and always looked like he could sniff out a wrong 'un 'outsider' from a mile away - it was easier to control who was around and it was a close knit team.

Ricky turning pro was a big deal - he was highly sought after from a promotional perspective and people were already talking about him from his amateur career so he was always going likely to be involved in some big fights down the line and i was still lucky enough to be able to visit the
gym once he became a TV fighter. What i would say, and it's only my opinion, is that in the build up to the Mayweather fight things went to a different level in terms of promotional obligations and bodies involved in some capacity. There is obviously a financial reward for being in marquee events but it goes without saying you have more people fleeing in your ear, looking for opportunities to a make a few quid or simply wanting to be around you. At this point it becomes near impossible or certainly harder for the close team to control who's involved and i suppose with that comes a certain amount of paranoia. We've all heard stories about Billy no longer being physically up to the rigours of training - i don't know whether that's true or not - but it's always made me wonder whether outside influences turned Ricky's head and that's what ultimately led to Billy walking away.

I've always found both Billy and Kerry very personable and i used to love catching a few words with Billy outside the gym doors when he was having a fag. His passion for the sport was obvious and his eyes would light up when he was talking about certain fighters. I no longer live locally but i've also seen Kerry since and he still always finds time for a chat.

Thanks for the insight mate....wondered if you'd be able to shed a bit of light on things.

Guess, really it followed a familiar path, fighter gets big and it becomes harder and harder to maintain that tight knit and secure team and poisonous people start creeping in.
G-man
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2017, 09:31:00 AM »

Thanks for the insight mate....wondered if you'd be able to shed a bit of light on things.

Guess, really it followed a familiar path, fighter gets big and it becomes harder and harder to maintain that tight knit and secure team and poisonous people start creeping in.
That's just how i saw it Lurky - i'm not for one minute suggesting i have any concrete info as i wasn't directly involved.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2017, 12:59:28 PM »

That's just how i saw it Lurky - i'm not for one minute suggesting i have any concrete info as i wasn't directly involved.

I understand....but sometimes those just watching from a neutral perspective have the best view of what is going on.

I always feel that as good a career as Ricky had.....he actually underachieved, and his lifestyle and goings on around him were the reason why. What Kerry said about the weight he shifted off Hatton during his prime time prove this to me. You just can't do what Ricky did without it taking affect.

I think this is why Hatton has struggled to adapt to life away from the ring, because he knows he could and should have done more and probably has some regret there. Without the constant weight gain/loss cycle who knows how high he could have soared. His style was one only suited to a relatively short career, but he definitely hastened his own career demise with the lifestyle he led.

Still he achieved more than the vast majority and will go down as one of Britains best and probably the most popular British fighter in history.
Kevan2
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Doctor will see you now

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2017, 03:06:51 PM »

Is the new and or next Ricky Hatton out there? Someone to follow. I was hoping Sam Eggington was gonna be the man but he has gone quiet.

Dear Santa, this year i have been a very good boy, well, nearly all year, well to be honest, you can hardly call it good, oh phuck it, never mind, i\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'ll buy my own shit!!
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: