LiveFight
October 19, 2017, 07:03:57 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haye Vs Bellew Spoiler alert  (Read 3017 times)
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 05:31:40 PM »

Got a lot more time for Bellew now after seeing him F*ck Hearn's celebration off when the towel came in.
LiveFight
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2017, 05:31:40 PM »

Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2017, 05:32:12 PM »

Yeah no doubt about it.....the rumours pre-fight were true, but they tried to double bluff it. He clearly felt he could win early and it'd be a non-issue, but it obviously didn't go that way.

Be interesting to know exactly when the injury happened in training and how bad it initially was. In hindsight he shouldn't have fought with an injury, but imagine if he'd pulled out...the fallout would have been horrendous. So they gambled and lost. Strange event but in truth it was far more entertaining than anyone imagined going in.

Thats it he'd have been slaughtered for pulling out and slaughtered for blaming the injury post fight. I watched back the replay and its clear his rear right ankle is injured and was for most of the fight. The reports of a complete tear seem likely however statements from Haye have yet to be released.

A Slice of Life
wbamitch

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2017, 06:58:47 PM »

Somehow the fight delivered.....even though it turned into a bit of a freaky event.

Haye came out with murder on his mind, so keen to blast Bellew away that he was initially too stiff and anxious to get the job done in the 1st as he wanted.

He began to relax and find his rhythm but Bellew did a good job tactically in the early rounds. Haye is a natural counter puncher, but Bellew wouldn't lead off and give Haye anything to go on and so it was tight and tense with both trying to force a mistake and land a fight altering bomb. But Haye was busier, looked the more threatening and so was taking the rounds....though already it was fair to say that Bellew was giving him a stiffer challenge than he and most people expected. Haye looked dangerous but frustrated.

Then came the injury, and after that the complexion of the fight obviously changed. Haye was clearly compromised terribly, but Bellew expended a lot of his bullets trying to finish the fight and so we saw some strange action.

Haye was struggling to keep his balance and stand up, but Bellew looked tired and just trundled forward. Haye's power was obviously stunted massively by the injury, but he was still dangerous with single shot left hooks where he was still able to generate some leverage and push off the front foot.

Looked like it was going to end up going to a decision, but then Bellew found a few punches to drop Haye and prompt McGuigan to chuck the towel in.

Haye showed a lot of balls to stay in that fight when I reckon 95% of fighters would have quit pretty rapidly after the injury happened. And he showed class in not talking about the injury in the post fight interview.
Bellew for his part showed resilience, determination and discipline in sticking to a plan, absorbing some big punches, and doing what he had to do. I was glad to see him also show class post fight.....though there is still time for the bad feeling to ignite again.

I can certainly see a rematch happening.....providing Haye's injury isn't career threatening. If its fixable then he'll be back for a part 2 and to be fair a rematch would sell. The fight might have been weird and freaky, but it was entertaining and with plenty of drama.

Fantastic post which is very similar to my feelings, if Haye can come back fit I'd watch the rematch. Real strange one how the fight has been perceived as a super upset and achievement by Sky, Bellew did a mile better than I and the majority of people expected. He probably got a few rounds early, certainly the 1st I gave him, Haye was a bit reckless to start with and Bellew did maintain his focus excellently through the danger early rounds, wisely using some good movement which surprised me in itself how he was able to frustrate Haye. Whether Haye is not the fighter he was, Bellew was tactically astute to be on the back foot and avoid Haye's evil intentions and look to counter with solid digs of his own. After the first couple Haye got himself together and showed his quality and advantages he has over Bellew while still clearly seeking destruction. I thought from this point on up until the injury Haye's jab was sharp and excellent to head and body which was starting to have a negative effect on Bellew who can be a good boxer himself, I think you could see the frustration and concern with Bellew then out of the blue the fight completely changed.

It was no longer a fight and obviously Bellew was then in control and heading to a points win, arguably to some people an unsatisfactory one with still a few struggles on effectively a fighter with one leg. Bellew did look tired and despite the huge surprise that he had not been taken out before the middle rounds you do think that Haye would have got him eventually. Obviously with the evidence of Haye's injury Bellew tried straight away to seal that victory and take out what was left but he just couldn't, he wisely took rests but occasionally he almost got himself on the receiving end. It was pointing to a frustrating but perhaps wise end to the fight for Bellew to see him as a points victor as I don't think he was hurting Haye, clean shots were landed, not as consistently as he would have liked but I think Haye was taking them well and bravely navigating himself through whilst still trying to get his own off when he could. Even the finish I think it was more of a matter of positioning for Haye than the actual power of the punch which finally put him down.

A tremendous effort from Haye and Bellew of course exceeded expectations and eventually got the job down whilst taking some beast shots himself throughout which nobody could foresee.

A word for Malignaggi and Matthews who have served the sport excellently over the years, wonder whether it's the same final description for Haye as well.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2017, 07:15:28 PM »

I think the fact that Mathews, Malignaggi and probably Haye are all retired after Saturday night would seem to highlight what a cynical exercise the PPV was.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 07:42:02 PM »

I think the fact that Mathews, Malignaggi and probably Haye are all retired after Saturday night would seem to highlight what a cynical exercise the PPV was.

Great point.
LiveFight
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2017, 07:42:02 PM »

GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2017, 09:06:17 PM »

Yeah no doubt about it.....the rumours pre-fight were true, but they tried to double bluff it. He clearly felt he could win early and it'd be a non-issue, but it obviously didn't go that way.

Be interesting to know exactly when the injury happened in training and how bad it initially was. In hindsight he shouldn't have fought with an injury, but imagine if he'd pulled out...the fallout would have been horrendous. So they gambled and lost. Strange event but in truth it was far more entertaining than anyone imagined going in.

Dereck Chisora said something very interesting post fight as he highlighted the fact that Haye wasn't wearing standard boxing boots (i.e. with the ankle support), and that maybe if he had, his achilles would have had more support.

I've just had a quick look at some of Haye's old fights and the last fight where I can clearly see him wearing standard boxing boots was the Klitschko fight. It looks like he's wearing trainers Vs Chisora, can't see what he was wearing Vs De More, and again he was wearing trainers for Gjergjaj and then again Vs Bellew. It's a good observation from Chisora, and at the same time there must be a reason why Haye is not wearing standard boots, perhaps because of some other long-standing issue with his feet? It sounds as though Haye is damned if he does wear them and damned if he doesn't. I think it's time for him to hang em up unfortunately
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »

Thats it he'd have been slaughtered for pulling out and slaughtered for blaming the injury post fight. I watched back the replay and its clear his rear right ankle is injured and was for most of the fight. The reports of a complete tear seem likely however statements from Haye have yet to be released.

I think the pre-fight mind games from Bellew worked a treat (i.e. "don't pull out before the fight, don't quit during the fight and no excuses after the fight)...Haye had no choice but to get into that ring and keep quiet afterwards, otherwise he would have had all of his previous pull-outs and "toe gate" thrown right back in his direction.
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2017, 09:44:11 PM »

Maybe he feels more comfortable in trainers because of his previous toe issue...not taking the piss, I reckon it could because of that, because he needs the comfort to get shot leverage, but it's probably accentuates this achilles issue through

Vs Klitschko

Vs Chisora

Vs Bellew

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2017, 09:54:26 PM »

Dereck Chisora said something very interesting post fight as he highlighted the fact that Haye wasn't wearing standard boxing boots (i.e. with the ankle support), and that maybe if he had, his achilles would have had more support.

I've just had a quick look at some of Haye's old fights and the last fight where I can clearly see him wearing standard boxing boots was the Klitschko fight. It looks like he's wearing trainers Vs Chisora, can't see what he was wearing Vs De More, and again he was wearing trainers for Gjergjaj and then again Vs Bellew. It's a good observation from Chisora, and at the same time there must be a reason why Haye is not wearing standard boots, perhaps because of some other long-standing issue with his feet? It sounds as though Haye is damned if he does wear them and damned if he doesn't. I think it's time for him to hang em up unfortunately

That is pretty interesting....I guess only Haye and his team would know what his reasons are for wearing those particular cut off boots. If it was just a fashion thing then it might have been a very costly error when traditional boots would seem to offer much more support.

He could retire and perhaps he should, but I do think we'll see a rematch if Haye's injury is fixable. I don't think he'll want to go out like that without at least trying to avenge the loss.

Truth be told....even without the injury he fought an impatient, over anxious fight. He was trying to 'force' things from the off and actually piled so much pressure on himself with his pre-fight talk of how he'd be blasting Bellew out of there rapidly. He might have brought the injury on himself with the way he was lunging and trying to make a KO happen. He wasn't relaxed, he was very wound up and tight.

Would he have won without the injury?
Could he have got through the fight without the injury recurring?
Or was he forced to look for the early win as his injury was a matter of time thing?
Can he fully recover?

Its these questions that mean a rematch would sell and would have its intrigue.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2017, 09:59:11 PM »

Maybe he feels more comfortable in trainers because of his previous toe issue...not taking the piss, I reckon it could because of that, because he needs the comfort to get shot leverage, but it's probably accentuates this achilles issue through

Vs Klitschko

Vs Chisora

Vs Bellew

They really do look like trainers, particularly the 2nd pic.
I think this is something he needs to look into if he does plan on continuing. Be very interesting to hear his opinion on this. Is there an underlining reason or is it just a fashion thing? It might be a fashion thing and complete oversight on his part. These are the questions that IFL need to ask him if/when they get an interview.
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2017, 10:05:22 PM »

If I remember rightly the trainers at the Chisora fight were for grip. It was a stadium fight and absolutely belting with rain and the ring apron was wet. It was a last minute call.
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2017, 10:27:01 PM »

If I remember rightly the trainers at the Chisora fight were for grip. It was a stadium fight and absolutely belting with rain and the ring apron was wet. It was a last minute call.

Ah that does ring a bell actually...but I do wonder whether he would have made that same call to make the last-minute change if he didn't have pre-existing concerns with his feet?
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2017, 10:33:15 PM »

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3013895/david-hayes-footwear-vivobearfoot/
Vlad The Impaler
V.I.P

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2017, 06:47:11 AM »

Yeah plus because fight wasnt taking place under BBBoC regulations the trainers were permitted
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 07:54:48 AM »

Let's get rational now the dust has settled.

Bellew did not 'win' , it was Haye who lost.

I didn't see a punch that made him fall over the bottom rope either.

Those who say 'well done Tony, you did it' - did what ? He looked more tired than Haye all the way through and his output was poor. Haye felt a few early but he looked solid at the end when had no choice but to eat the punches.

Personalities aside, that's how it played out for me and I had no favourites in the bout whatsoever.

LiveFight

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: