LiveFight
December 18, 2017, 03:14:09 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Are you more of a fan of AJ, Klitschko or both after Saturday ?  (Read 1848 times)
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »

I must admit I've come to like both guys a lot more since Saturday.

First up with AJ, I have felt his career and Olympic win were a bit of a facade to some extent - along with his manicured media personality, there was something missing or suspect for me.

But after Saturday, yes he does have shortcomings but he has a huge heart and a killer instinct inside of him.

Wladimir has always been an interesting and intelligent man outside the ring, but too cautious and chess-like inside the ring. His performances seemed extremely well planned and almost choreography like.

But he threw that off and went for it like a true fighter on Saturday night against one of the biggest puncher's he has faced. He almost did it and managed to drop, hurt and outbox the young champion for large spells.

LiveFight
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:47:08 AM »

Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 11:56:14 AM »

I think the both fighters have had their stock value increase after that fight. For klitschko it will be a difficult decision to fight on with back-to-back losses (one via being outboxed, the other via numerous knockdowns and a stoppage)  but I hope that he at least has a rematch with Joshua.

For Joshua the biggest setback will be his stamina only half way through the fight. Apart from that he his most definitely the kind of person you need to see at the top of the sport. Very likable guy who leaves it all in the ring.

Its a shame Tyson Fury is not at his peak. It could have been an interesting fight.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
TC

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 11:56:21 AM »

Both. Found AJ's post-fight spiel a bit irritating but I've over it.

It's impossible for me not to admire two men who both went to well and dug so deep to give us 11 rounds of largely enthralling action.

I wasn't sure AJ had the heart to take being hit back, or that Klit would fancy it when facing someone as big as him. Both proved me wrong.

"Me: We"
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 12:07:58 PM »

I think both elevated their standing in the eyes of the 'hardcore' as much, if not more so than the casual fans.

Although the media doesn't help AJ in some ways - the BBC are currently running a poll asking who is the best ever British heavyweight.  Saturday was a good win and a great fight but to even think about putting AJ in the same conversation as Lewis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/39602619
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »

I think both elevated their standing in the eyes of the 'hardcore' as much, if not more so than the casual fans.

Although the media doesn't help AJ in some ways - the BBC are currently running a poll asking who is the best ever British heavyweight.  Saturday was a good win and a great fight but to even think about putting AJ in the same conversation as Lewis.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/39602619

Its going to be difficult to better Lewis's achievements... only way I can see him doing that is by retiring as undisputed and undefeated.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 12:20:01 PM »

Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »

Yes, he proved not only he has a very good chin but also some serious coping skills. The two questions pre fight were over his chin and his stamina...he showed that he can be hurt and he can tire but also that he can recover from both.
Laney
V.I.P
Executive Member

Eddie Hearn fanclub

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 03:10:54 PM »

Just cant take to AJ - He's not genuine at all and is just a walking, talking, manufactured PR machine - surprised so many don't see through that?

As for his performance, fair play to him for sucking it up when he looked completely gone, but no one seems to be talking about how we let himself get in that position in the first place?

Entered the stadium on a bus, left looking like he'd just been hit by one.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 03:49:14 PM »

My respect for Klitschko definitely rose....he showed more desire and will to win than I thought would be the case. He really came to win and was prepared to suffer in pursuit of it.

My respect for Joshua's fighting heart and hunger grew.....he's a fighter no doubt about that. In the 9th and 10th of a scrap like that and he was talking to Klitschko and 'enjoying' the battle. But as I said on the other thread, I thought he fought poorly, showed vulnerability and he needs to lose some of that muslce mass.

But overall both mens stock rises.....they provided a fight that will have boosted the sports appeal in general. All too often these PPV's don't really deliver and the casual fans whine about it. But this one got people talking, captured the imagination and delivered on the night.
Forest
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2017, 05:10:27 PM »

Been a bit of an AJ fan-bitch through his career (despite the fact I still say he lost the Olympic final) and agree that his speech after the fight was pretty gross but still rate the fella. Even though it's all done in front of the camera's (and why shouldn't it be) he still lives at home and sorted his first trainer out with a 100,000 car. Not many would do that so it's good to see.

Wlad has gone up massively in my opinion; always thought he was a top, classy fella but his boxing was dull as dishwater. After Saturday, he really proved himself a fighter.
ScottMillwall
V.I.P
Executive Member

El Chocolatito

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2017, 05:49:28 PM »

I turned off straight after the fight ended as I knew the post fight interviews would annoy me. What did Joshua say that was bad?
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2017, 07:14:19 PM »

Loved the fact that 90,000 booed Eddie Hearn when he tried to speak after the fight. Don't know if there was a specific reason, but don't care either.
Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2017, 10:35:58 PM »

I've never been a huge Klitschko critic like some but I admire the way Wlad performed in there and his stock rises significantly for me.  I truly hope that Joshua goes on to be a great champ and I wish him well.  He answered a load of questions the other night and performed better than I thought he would.  But I have to agree, there is just something within me that says he is not all he appears and that he is insincere and manufactured.  That may be unfair and he is perhaps just a product of the modern day society, but I cannot help harbouring some doubts about the bloke.  Certainly he needs to lose some weight and muscle definition, which is not necessary for a boxer.  But if he stays grounded, as he says he will (remember Hatton?), and continues as he is, I will no doubt warm more to his personality.
One more thing  -  if he ever leaves Rob McCracken (great bloke and great trainer), then I hope he gets spanked well and truly!  Specially if he goes to Mayweather Snr!   Grin
Forest
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2017, 11:00:12 PM »

I turned off straight after the fight ended as I knew the post fight interviews would annoy me. What did Joshua say that was bad?

It starts off ok and goes on...and on...and on... And he goes over to raise Wlad's hand - I'm sure it's a heartfelt gesture but you could see Wlad was still gutted...(Though the images aren't on this link, soz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28gQoKxqDo
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 05:35:35 AM »

Can't say I'd buy tickets for either guys future fights but in terms of AJ, despite Saturday being and will continue to be blown out of proportion I give him more credit as a champion. It was like the fight to prove he's earned his stripes now and deserves to be talked about in the same sentence as the top heavyweights of today.

Wlad did what nobody thought he could in terms of surviving the 5th round. He also proved he's still a top level fighter for today's bunch. Always liked listening to him talk etc, his and Vitali episode on ringside was one of the best.

Team Groves
ScottMillwall
V.I.P
Executive Member

El Chocolatito

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 08:00:15 AM »

It starts off ok and goes on...and on...and on... And he goes over to raise Wlad's hand - I'm sure it's a heartfelt gesture but you could see Wlad was still gutted...(Though the images aren't on this link, soz)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f28gQoKxqDo

Cheers, mate.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: