LiveFight
December 18, 2017, 10:27:44 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kell Brook vs Errol Spence Round by Round  (Read 4815 times)
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »

F*cking hell....so frustrating and disappointing.

Think Brook had done the hard work, built up a lead and taken control of the fight. He was at a point where he seemed to be putting the foot down and starting to look to break Spence up. The stoppage win seemed on at that point.....then the eye goes and the fight fell away from him!

I do think the Golovkin fight played a big part....without that fight and memory, I don't think Brook would have panicked as much as he did last night. But he lost his composure(understandably enough)and that allowed Spence to regain a foothold and ultimately prevail. If Kell had been a bit more 'ignorant' and not had the experience against GGG, I think he'd not have lost his way in the same manner and he'd have probably wound up a very tight points winner.

But once the eye went and he felt he'd suffered the same injury as before.....he stopped boxing his fight and his focus was on the injury, and with the fight as balanced as it was. He needed to be fully focused on his boxing and job at hand to keep a step or two ahead of Spence.

All the flaws in Spence I knew were there, Brook exposed and exploited. It was always tight, but Kell outboxed him with timing and positioning, and definitely shook Spence up a few times. Would Spence have beaten Kell if the eye injury hadn't happened or if it happened a couple rounds later than it did? No I don't think he would....I think Kell showed in the first half that he did have the measure of Spence, but in a sport where one punch, one moment can change everything....these things happen.

I hope the injury doesn't sideline Brook for too long, because he's a superb fighter and should be improved at 154. I think he'll be a f*cking beast at light-middle, but going forward the previous injuries he's suffered will be a concern. I suppose looking on the bright side....the previous injury to Golovkin held firm, would have been worse had that gone again and I think that'd have spelled the end of his career.
LiveFight
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2017, 02:32:05 PM »

mooreman
Executive Member

The Sandman

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2017, 03:08:13 PM »

Think Brook had done the hard work, built up a lead and taken control of the fight. He was at a point where he seemed to be putting the foot down and starting to look to break Spence up. The stoppage win seemed on at that point.....then the eye goes and the fight fell away from him!

I do think the Golovkin fight played a big part....without that fight and memory, I don't think Brook would have panicked as much as he did last night. But he lost his composure(understandably enough)and that allowed Spence to regain a foothold and ultimately prevail. If Kell had been a bit more 'ignorant' and not had the experience against GGG, I think he'd not have lost his way in the same manner and he'd have probably wound up a very tight points winner.

But once the eye went and he felt he'd suffered the same injury as before.....he stopped boxing his fight and his focus was on the injury, and with the fight as balanced as it was. He needed to be fully focused on his boxing and job at hand to keep a step or two ahead of Spence.

All the flaws in Spence I knew were there, Brook exposed and exploited. It was always tight, but Kell outboxed him with timing and positioning, and definitely shook Spence up a few times. Would Spence have beaten Kell if the eye injury hadn't happened or if it happened a couple rounds later than it did? No I don't think he would....I think Kell showed in the first half that he did have the measure of Spence, but in a sport where one punch, one moment can change everything....these things happen.

I hope the injury doesn't sideline Brook for too long, because he's a superb fighter and should be improved at 154. I think he'll be a f*cking beast at light-middle, but going forward the previous injuries he's suffered will be a concern. I suppose looking on the bright side....the previous injury to Golovkin held firm, would have been worse had that gone again and I think that'd have spelled the end of his career.

I think you're being dismissive of Spence. Brook was ahead half way but Spence was landing a lot of shots and when Kell slowed down - Spence did not. Even without the eye injury, Spence would have grown into that fight and got stronger.

Spence showed heart and took the fight from Brook - which is how it should be. A good fight between two top level pro's.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2017, 03:25:54 PM »

I think you're being dismissive of Spence. Brook was ahead half way but Spence was landing a lot of shots and when Kell slowed down - Spence did not. Even without the eye injury, Spence would have grown into that fight and got stronger.

Spence showed heart and took the fight from Brook - which is how it should be. A good fight between two top level pro's.

I just don't see that Spence did anything different to change the flow of the fight(though he obviously landed a punch that broke Brook's eye socket)

But till that happened Brook was in control and without the injury I don't think Spence would have prevailed. Can't take it away from him that he caused the injury, but I wasn't really impressed with the fight he fought.
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »

I just don't see that Spence did anything different to change the flow of the fight(though he obviously landed a punch that broke Brook's eye socket)

But till that happened Brook was in control and without the injury I don't think Spence would have prevailed. Can't take it away from him that he caused the injury, but I wasn't really impressed with the fight he fought.

Prior to the injury to brooks eye.  It looked more likely that it was spence who would be the one stopped. I had brook winning with spence becoming desperate as the rounds rolled on.

Good fight... but i don't see spence in the same way as others now.  Crawford to me will be p4p no.1 one day.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »

I think Spence's workrate did intensify from round 7 onwards personally and Brook was obviously hindered by that eye, but there's no hard luck story here. The injury was caused by clean punching and once Spence got the initiative it looked harder and harder for Kell until he eventually he succumbed. For the record all cards had Spence ahead at the time of the stoppage, one of them by 5 points. A lot of close rounds early doors where I did think Kell had the better of it without ever looking like he could relax in control of the fight, then Spence pretty much swept the fight from round 7 onwards as he had his man badly wounded and took advantage. Kell showed his bravery by continuing on for 4 rounds after the injury occurred and especially to bring himself up from the canvas in 10 to really put it on Spence and try to take Spence out. That was his badge of honour right there, so those who are calling him a quitter for taking that knee in the 11th, without going on a mad rant about how wrong that statement is, I'll just say that i disagree and think that Kell had already shown his balls multiple times over in that fight and did the smart thing to preserve his health, his eye and possibly his career. I hope that in a year's time when he's recovered and made the correct move up to light middle that we can see that the choice he made last night was the right one.

LiveFight
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2017, 04:23:17 PM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2017, 05:27:19 PM »

Prior to the injury to brooks eye.  It looked more likely that it was spence who would be the one stopped. I had brook winning with spence becoming desperate as the rounds rolled on.

Good fight... but i don't see spence in the same way as others now.  Crawford to me will be p4p no.1 one day.

Yeah that's my feeling too. Brook seemed on his way to a stoppage win, starting to plant his feet and unload and the punches and his physical strength were affecting Spence. But then he sort of started to falter for no real obvious reason....but it then became apparent his eye had gone, and he was understandably enough preoccupied with that and that lifted Spence and deflated Brook. Without that injury occurring or had it occurred 2 rounds later I think Brook would still be the champion today.

I give Spence credit for staying in there and persevering but I don't think he'd have prevailed if Brook's eye hadn't gone. So I do think Spence was somewhat fortunate.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2017, 05:33:18 PM »

I think Spence's workrate did intensify from round 7 onwards personally and Brook was obviously hindered by that eye, but there's no hard luck story here. The injury was caused by clean punching and once Spence got the initiative it looked harder and harder for Kell until he eventually he succumbed. For the record all cards had Spence ahead at the time of the stoppage, one of them by 5 points. A lot of close rounds early doors where I did think Kell had the better of it without ever looking like he could relax in control of the fight, then Spence pretty much swept the fight from round 7 onwards as he had his man badly wounded and took advantage. Kell showed his bravery by continuing on for 4 rounds after the injury occurred and especially to bring himself up from the canvas in 10 to really put it on Spence and try to take Spence out. That was his badge of honour right there, so those who are calling him a quitter for taking that knee in the 11th, without going on a mad rant about how wrong that statement is, I'll just say that i disagree and think that Kell had already shown his balls multiple times over in that fight and did the smart thing to preserve his health, his eye and possibly his career. I hope that in a year's time when he's recovered and made the correct move up to light middle that we can see that the choice he made last night was the right one.

I think Spence's work intensified when he realised that Brook had an issue with the eye, up till that point I think he'd been contained very well by Brook. The cards at the end don't really tell the story...Spence was 5, 3, 1 up at the finish, but he'd have been well behind until the 7th when it appeared the injury happened.

Had it not happened till the 9th say...I think Brook would have been in such a lead, he'd have been able to see the fight out and retain on the cards.

Fair enough Spence caused the injury in the first place so its not a hard luck story really....but it was a freaky type of injury that came against the run of play really. I just don't feel it was a fight where Spence ripped the title away from the champion though that's how it'll be built up now, I think it was more to do with an injury to the champion turning the fight on its head when it seemed Brook was well on his way to retaining.
wbamitch

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2017, 06:34:22 PM »

Fantastic fight as expected, tactical at times with back and forth rounds and momentum swings. Really gutted with the outcome as that's obviously two big fights successively where he has been comprehensively defeated after waiting so long for the opportunity at that level which he should have been at sooner. Although I said there were a couple of round changes at the beginning I felt for the first half Kell looked in control of the fight with more sharper accurate punches and had a measure of Spence who was always looking for the body early but Kell managed to have the distance to his advantage with countering a missed Spence jab with one of his own and he effectively tied him up and worked in close earlier on.

Spence had his moments and you could see even when Brook had the advantages over him that he was dealing with a dangerous contender but Brook's experience seemed to have the edge and it looked like he had the better skill set of the two whereas Spence took a while to force physical pressure on Brook. The eye was obviously a huge detriment to Brook in the fight but I think you have to give credit to Spence who did look composed in his approach and focusing on the body which is one of his strengths and certainly where you feel he could get to Brook both struggling with the weight and potential stamina issues against a more aggressive opponent, who can be really effective with combination punching when on the front foot.

I briefly mentioned the eye and I definitely feel the incident that occurred with Golovkin, not the defeat but the badly damaged eye understandably had him out of his stride and clearly in a panicked state. It's unfortunate it happened as early as it did and he was showing clear discomfort with it just like in the Golovkin fight which I felt brought even more encouragement to Spence to be on the front foot rather than a more tactical fight it seemed through the first half which Brook was showing higher ability. Spence proved his toughness in dealing with some good shots from a solid puncher in Kell and being willing to return fire when he was put under more pressure. Spence was outgunned earlier on but still looked calm in his approach and built the intensity level when Brook showed the distress signs and took over the fight. Kell had one last hurrah where you have to commend his braveness but after that he was done and certainly past experiences with Golovkin played on his mind and understandably made him stop fighting.

Whether it's a positive that it is a different eye but you do hugely worry about that in the future both physically and probably more as a mental block which it proved to be in this fight. Brook showed he still has the speed and skill to be a big threat and go again at world level and right at the top as well, he was against a fresh highly talented kid there and looked very good at times. Whether it's at welterweight or not, I think he proved he can go again but I do think stylistically there are now fighters that bring a big red flag when going up against him, as I've said solid puncher but I just feel aggressive fighters will be confident of maintaining a pace that can get through to him later on in the fight and of course the eye will be constantly targeted and I do believe the mindset of Kell as much as any potential stamina issues can be broken with the right fighter. There are some excellent fighters in the division, Errol, Brook and Thurman in that order, I believe he can beat the boxing style of Thurman but a potential rematch with Porter, even fighters like Matthyse i do worry for Brook.

Spence had his breakout victory and will go on and I believe rule the welterweights with improvements along the way, I look forward to seeing his first defence not so much Brook's next fight, I think a long break and a tune up fight next. 154 is equally as packed with talent perhaps not so much popularity but there are some tough and excellent names for Brook to forge a career there which seems the natural step for him, I would like to see him go on and do that as he is a excellent fighter. Any Brook vs Khan fight does not bring the appeal to me as much anymore and I don't think it will sell as well as it would have done and is not warranted, Khan has to fight someone and Brook certainly needs a confidence booster/ maybe a new challenge at 154. I feel the winner of the Smith vs Williams rematch makes sense for Brook certainly if a WBO belt is an option.

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2017, 07:02:12 PM »

I think Spence's work intensified when he realised that Brook had an issue with the eye, up till that point I think he'd been contained very well by Brook. The cards at the end don't really tell the story...Spence was 5, 3, 1 up at the finish, but he'd have been well behind until the 7th when it appeared the injury happened.

Had it not happened till the 9th say...I think Brook would have been in such a lead, he'd have been able to see the fight out and retain on the cards.

Fair enough Spence caused the injury in the first place so its not a hard luck story really....but it was a freaky type of injury that came against the run of play really. I just don't feel it was a fight where Spence ripped the title away from the champion though that's how it'll be built up now, I think it was more to do with an injury to the champion turning the fight on its head when it seemed Brook was well on his way to retaining.

I know what you're saying but IMO Brook had an edge through the early rounds with Spence looking dangerous if Brook were to switch off at any point or loiter in the wrong spot for a split second too long. When Spence got into range fleetingly in the first half he did look dangerous to me so I saw it as Brook having his nose in front early doors but not with any confidence that he was going to sweep through the rest of the fight. Absolutely Spence stepped it up big tie when he saw Brook blinking so much after that eye damage. Without the injury could Brook have seen it through? I saw it as a very close call all the way through to be honest but Spence definitely won 7-10 so on my card (not that I kept one on the night) Spence would probably have been 2 or 3 up by the time the end came.
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2017, 10:02:54 PM »

Does anyone know which round the eye went? Because the tide seemed to turn very quickly after Kell had his best round. (I think it was round 6). He looked like he was starting to get to Spence. The very next round Spence came out firing and Kell wasn't the same fighter. Was he getting tired or was he injured by then?
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2017, 10:08:38 PM »

Does anyone know which round the eye went? Because the tide seemed to turn very quickly after Kell had his best round. (I think it was round 6). He looked like he was starting to get to Spence. The very next round Spence came out firing and Kell wasn't the same fighter. Was he getting tired or was he injured by then?

Yeah thats the thing....Brook was starting to break Spence down one round and then seemed out of sorts the next.
The eye went in either the 6th or the 7th and Brook's fight fell away after that. Without the injury I'm sure he would have won either by late stoppage or UD. But it happened and now he has to regroup and look to the future.....he should tell Khan to shove a fight at 47 up his arse, he needs to be at 54 now.
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2017, 11:12:34 PM »

Yeah thats the thing....Brook was starting to break Spence down one round and then seemed out of sorts the next.
The eye went in either the 6th or the 7th and Brook's fight fell away after that. Without the injury I'm sure he would have won either by late stoppage or UD. But it happened and now he has to regroup and look to the future.....he should tell Khan to shove a fight at 47 up his arse, he needs to be at 54 now.

It's hard to say. Did the body shots take there toll when Kell started slowing down? You can make a case for that but I'm not so sure. I'd argue that Kell threw the more effective body shots by the time round 7 came around. He definitely slowed down all of a sudden and lost a fraction of his sharpness possibly through the onset of fatigue. I dunno though. At this level you don't drop 3 gears down when you'd just started bossing your opponant, showing signs of breaking him down. Something was bothering him.

What ever happens, Kell is damaged goods from this point on. Psychologically he's not going to be in good shape going into his next fight.

ChicagoFightFan

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2017, 05:37:46 AM »

If only .. if only .. If only me auntie had bollocks, she'd be me uncle. Wink

Good showing by both men. Much respect to Brooke, who didn't necessarily have to take that fight in my opinion. Wish there were more guys in boxing with those type of balls. He hasn't gone down in my estimation.  Don't agree with the comments about GGG breaking him before this fight. Think Spence is just a bit special. Understand the comments about him retiring, but would personally like to see him show his skill a bit more and go out on a better note.
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2017, 09:14:11 AM »

If the spence fight had been the first time he had broken his eye socket I think he would have carried on. He wouldn't have known exactly what it was and wouldn't have been aware of the dangers anyway, hence why he wanted to fight on in the Golovkin fight. To sustain back to back broken eye sockets at this level is very rare. You can't blame him for pulling out, he knew exactly what the injury was after coming off a hurendous injury in his last fight and he would have been well aware of the dangers in carrying on. It had to have been playing on his mind and would have took him out of the fight mentaly all the while Spence was teeing off on him. Very unfortunate for Brook. A terrible situation to be in. I can't believe some of the stick Kell was getting post fight from professional fighters.

He needs to take a year out. Maybe a big money comeback fight with Khan and he can bow out. I think he showed last night what a fantastic fighter he really is. That was an elite level fight, it was a privilege to watch.

Great post and just goes to show how courageous Kell was in that 10th round...how he managed to get out of that round and even see the 11th is beyond me. Yes, he did quit, he went down before Spence could get to him, but Kell has, if anything, shown that you can look for a way out yet show yourself to be a true warrior at the same time...like you said, he knows full well what the last smashed eye socket involved, inclusion having to have his eye taken out of the socket etc in a very complicated procedure. Who the hell in boxing has had to go through that, and then face the same injury on the other eye in his very next fight? No-one.
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2017, 09:38:21 AM »

What I'm most proud of are everyone here on Livefight who, like myself, saw how good Spence Jr was BEFORE the Brook fight, and could see that he was destined to achieve great things. Much respect to Scarface and Red in particular.

I know people criticised his calibre of opposition before this fight, but I'v always said that it's what you do with those opponents that shows the hallmarks of a special fighter. He was doing things to the likes of Lo Greco, Algieiri and Bundu that the likes of Porter, Pacquiao, Khan and Thurman could only dream of.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: