LiveFight
December 18, 2017, 10:14:42 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Witter hopes Brook considers retirement  (Read 2540 times)
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:43:14 AM »

http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/boxing/it-s-time-for-kell-brook-to-consider-retirement-admits-long-term-sheffield-boxing-gym-ally-1-8568902

“When you think of the serious injuries he’s had in his life, he’s fortunate they weren’t worse than they were” said the Lane Top boxer, who still has a license to compete, at the age of 43.

“The stabbing (Brook was attacked in Tenerife in 2014) could have been the end for him.

A chipped piece of bone (from either of the two eye socket injuries) could have blinded him.

Witter, a world champion himself at light welterweight from 2006-8, was disturbed to see his comrade suffer a second broken eye socket in a TKO loss last weekend to Errol Spence Jr.

And while Brook, 31, has been massively unfortunate to suffer a similar facial injury to the one that he endured against Gennady Golovkin in September, Witter - who knows what it is like to lose a world title - insists it could have been much more severe.

“When you think of the serious injuries he’s had in his life, he’s fortunate they weren’t worse than they were” said the Lane Top boxer, who still has a license to compete, at the age of 43.

“The stabbing (Brook was attacked in Tenerife in 2014) could have been the end for him.

A chipped piece of bone (from either of the two eye socket injuries) could have blinded him.

“I don’t know anybody in boxing who has had both eye sockets broken. What’s worrying is that Golovkin is a hard puncher and maybe its not perhaps that surprising what damage he did.

“But Spence is not a single, heavy puncher, he doesn’t do it with one punch, it’s more pressure, yet he broke Kell’s socket. Does this suggests there is some kind of (bone) weakness?

“I say he’s been lucky that he hasn’t had worse injuries and I think he should retire because that luck has got to run out. I’m pretty sure his parents and his partner and others in his family are going to say: ‘Right you have had a great career, you’ve been world champion, you’ve done it.’

“He’s earned a ridiculous amount of money and is set for life.

He’s a millionaire doesn’t need to fight and that’s the pressure he’ll be facing at home.

“There are loads of things he could do.

But he’s stubborn and I don’t think he will retire! I can see him coming back at light middleweight or middleweight” said Witter.

“Once he’s dealt with the damage there then he’ll have that decision to make - whether he is willing to risk all again. He’s going to have to wait until the eye is healed and see whether he thinks its worth continuing. But the longer he leaves it the harder it will be. After the operation, he is going to be sat on his hands for months.

“Boxing’s one thing, but he will also want to have his sight for the rest of his life.”

Much of the rest of 2017 will be a write-off for the 31 year old former IBF king.

“It takes a long time to organise a reasonable fight, these things aren’t done overnight and anyway it will be months before he’s ready to fight.

“If he comes back, I don’t see Amir Khan (contest) happening, he’s had the opportunity and didn’t want it.”
LiveFight
« on: May 31, 2017, 07:43:14 AM »

Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »

I agree he's made fantastic money and should now consider retirement.

A Slice of Life
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »

It would seem sensible given he's suffered a broken eye socket in each of his last two fights.  Even if he moves up to 154 where the general quality is lesser, he'll be being hit by naturally bigger guys and it's difficult to see it turn out well for him. 
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 01:24:26 PM »

I don't think Brook will want to go out like that. Two dangerous freak injuries derailed him. I'm glad he earned the money that his talent warranted. Thank Eddie Hearn his skill set together with his willingness to fight anybody that got him to the big money in the first place. He wasn't to know he had a structural weakness around his eye sockets. As a fighter he's damaged goods, it will have a mental effect on him in the ring from here on in but I think he will give it another shot at the higher weight class.

Maidana retired at 29 after he made his Millions against Floyd. But by that age he had already been through his fair share of super fights, had some great wins & was involved in some classics. You can't say the same for Brook. Kell needs more fights to cement his legacy. A super fight with Khan and/or a move up to LM could rejuvinate his career. He'd be strong and faster at the weight.

He's finally hit the big time. He's not going to want to give that up just as his career really started taking off.
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »

If he absolutely had to have one more fight... desperately. Then i would only consider it if it were khan at wembley... but that pension fight may now have sailed.

Personally i hope the boxing board of control deny him a license. If he goes blind later down the line... they would be held respsonsible.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 05:37:50 PM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 06:19:26 PM »

Providing the doctors are happy he can continue without any increased risk of injury....then no reason why he shouldn't.
He will be physically so much better at 154. This isn't a case of a fighter going up trying to get a bit more success at a higher weight but one that's past their best weight....potentially Brook will be better than ever at light-middle. It could be his proper weight, where he's at his absolute best.

Assuming he's physically fit and well to fight on....the problem is see is mentally how much impact will the broken eye sockets have on him? Perhaps it'd be worth having hypnosis or something along those lines to sort out the mental demons that might linger.

I would tell Khan to f*ck off...unless he's prepared to come to 154 for it. Now off hand you can't see Khan being prepared to do that. But Khan's options are limited really. I see no clamour for anybody at 147 to fight him.
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 07:22:09 PM »

On the Khan thing the guys irrelevant he's a no one . Has no belts hasn't for years and his team are a nightmare to deal with. 

Hes a draw for no one bar brook for cash and that's lost any appeal to the majority of clued up fight fans .

He needs to F*ck off over to Dubai and get his faced bashed in by a irrelevant Pacman
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 08:59:33 PM »

If he absolutely had to have one more fight... desperately. Then i would only consider it if it were khan at wembley... but that pension fight may now have sailed.

Personally i hope the boxing board of control deny him a license. If he goes blind later down the line... they would be held respsonsible.

Khan fight and then both finish.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:51:50 AM by jimjack » Logged
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 05:01:08 AM »

I think Kell must retire IMMEDIATELY...

Such horrific damage to both eyes is simply too much to deal with...

It make me wonder whether Brook actually sustained some kind of damage to the right eye also against GGG, but that it effectively "went under the radar" as it didn't lead to an actual break, but perhaps did some kind of underlying damage that simply worsened and broke itself against Spence? It just seems so much of a freak incident to sustain such horrific damage to one eye in one fight, and then to the other eye in the other fight...it's making me think that GGG's punches did more damage to Brook than we initially realised, essentially smashing both eyes but one much worse than the other in that particular fight...
Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »

I think Kell must retire IMMEDIATELY...

Such horrific damage to both eyes is simply too much to deal with...

It make me wonder whether Brook actually sustained some kind of damage to the right eye also against GGG, but that it effectively "went under the radar" as it didn't lead to an actual break, but perhaps did some kind of underlying damage that simply worsened and broke itself against Spence? It just seems so much of a freak incident to sustain such horrific damage to one eye in one fight, and then to the other eye in the other fight...it's making me think that GGG's punches did more damage to Brook than we initially realised, essentially smashing both eyes but one much worse than the other in that particular fight...

Im not sure about that mate, i presume it wasnt some back street clinic he went to. Medical scans these days are pretty good. Not ruling it our completely though id be mighty surprised
Laney
V.I.P
Executive Member

Eddie Hearn fanclub

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 11:53:54 AM »

I personally feel the talk of retirement is premature.

If he had suffered the same injury on the same eye, the believe the "damaged good" line is more plausible and he would be going  in to any fight at a severe risk, but with it being on the other eye coupled with him putting in a very good performance, I see no reason for him to stop.

As Lurky says, Kell will be better at 154 and the talent isnt quite as deep. No reason why he cant face a "Top 15" fighter on an undercard later in the year before going for a strap in Spring 2018.

Agree the Khan fight has sailed, despite Khan never wanting it anyway. Suppose it cant be ruled out as Amir did go up to 154 for the coin vs Canelo...

Entered the stadium on a bus, left looking like he'd just been hit by one.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 12:27:23 PM »

Whilst Khan is completely irrelevant at the moment, just think about brook's current record at world level. He has had 3 world level opponents (ggg porter and spence) and been stopped in 2 of them. Those wasted years fighting bums has really cost him imo
Laney
V.I.P
Executive Member

Eddie Hearn fanclub

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »

Whilst Khan is completely irrelevant at the moment, just think about brook's current record at world level. He has had 3 world level opponents (ggg porter and spence) and been stopped in 2 of them. Those wasted years fighting bums has really cost him imo

Thats the problem though - Brook fought the bums because they could get the "fringe" world level fighters (Malignaggi, Berto, Maidana, Guerrero etc etc) that he needed for his development longer term.

It got to the point where he was going to get slated for bums or going in at the the deep end which he did and sadly hasnt paid off (although his bank balance will be looking a lot nicer).

Entered the stadium on a bus, left looking like he'd just been hit by one.
Chris
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 02:46:33 AM »

The surgeon is saying his previously damaged eye is now stronger after the surgery and plate, and the newly damaged eye should also be stronger once healed, so if this is true once he's fit I see no reason why he shouldn't jump straight back in to a big fight.

He's still at his best bar the injuries lately. Khan makes sense as there's no chance of Khan hurting him!
Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 10:20:35 AM »

The surgeon is saying his previously damaged eye is now stronger after the surgery and plate, and the newly damaged eye should also be stronger once healed, so if this is true once he's fit I see no reason why he shouldn't jump straight back in to a big fight.

He's still at his best bar the injuries lately. Khan makes sense as there's no chance of Khan hurting him!

Agreed good point. To take another perspective, Kell could have lost his life after being attacked with a machette. Certainly could have ended his career. He's had worse thrown at him than a couple of orbital fractures that will heal stronger than they were before.

Theres no way Kell will listen to anyone with plans for him to retire. He's been through alot worse. I look forward to seeing him back next year. He's a terrific fighter.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: