LiveFight
December 12, 2017, 07:57:21 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Boxing Super Series  (Read 3904 times)
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »

I was a touch dubious about this when it was announced with no boxers on board, but it is now looking like it could be a good set up.  Dorticos has just signed up to the Cruiserweights along with Bredis, Wlodarczyk and Gassiev meaning that the WBC and IBF champions are on board (Dorticos has the WBA 'regular' belt).  There are rumours that Usyk will be signing up for it too.

Groves is the only name confirmed for the Super-Middle event at present and it looks as if this will be the weaker pool talent wise with Smith/Dirrell fighing in September and DeGale injured but could still produce some good fights depending who ultimately ends up signing. 

It seems the Sauerland's have learned from the shortcomings of the Super Six by making it a straight knock out tournament so that momentum and interest doesn't wain. 
LiveFight
« on: June 22, 2017, 09:56:53 AM »

tweetstreet
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:43:51 AM »

The cruiserweight competition is shaping up to be absolutely awesome get Durodola, kudryashov, and maybe Lebedev, Huck and Makubu in and you'd have a cracking line up.

Love the cruiserweights!

One thing for sure is that Bellew wouldn't go anywhere near the tournament
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 10:44:44 AM »

It seems the Sauerland's have learned from the shortcomings of the Super Six by making it a straight knock out tournament so that momentum and interest doesn't wain. 

What happens if it's a draw?

I cant see Sauerland signing Dirrell to any sort of commitment after the stunts he pulled against Abraham and then withdrew anyway. Unless it was for revenge.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 11:07:01 AM »

I imagine they'll be hoping that there aren't any as they want it to start in September this year and conclude in May 2018.  Although the fighter who won the most rounds across all cards could advance for the purposes of the tournament unless it was an absolute draw.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »

Usyk now confirmed for the Cruisers so that really should produce some cracking fights.

Skogland and Cox in the Super Middles so hopefully a few decent names will get added before the draw. I welcome the chance to see Cox get planted though.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 02:10:45 PM »

Vlad The Impaler
V.I.P

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 07:17:44 PM »

Usyk now confirmed for the Cruisers so that really should produce some cracking fights.

Skogland and Cox in the Super Middles so hopefully a few decent names will get added before the draw. I welcome the chance to see Cox get planted though.

I guess Hearn pulled in a favour from his friends the Sauerlands to get Cox into this; not sure how he merits getting into something like this. Pity likes of Degale and Callum Smith aren't involved but sure Groves will relish chance to do well in this and wouldn't be against him going far.
MR GLEN

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2017, 10:40:44 AM »

Injuries will delay bouts so what looks like a good idea on paper will turn it all into a farce
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 08:39:06 AM »

Looks like Callum Smith has sacked off Dirrell to sign up to the tournament now.  Certainly adds more interest to the Super-Middle edition.
tweetstreet
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 03:50:29 PM »

Perez the final name in the cruiserweight competition! Absolutely mouthwatering competition!
Laney
V.I.P
Executive Member

Eddie Hearn fanclub

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 03:58:10 PM »

Smith boxing for the WBC diamond strap - so thats how they managed the WBC situation!

Entered the stadium on a bus, left looking like he'd just been hit by one.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 07:32:04 PM »

Winner of Eubank Jr v Abraham going in too. 168 version now potentially very interesting domestically.

The Cruiser edition is probably the best thing in the sport at the moment but I fear that the lack of US fighters may mean it doesn't quite get the attention it should.
AO88
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2017, 06:51:06 PM »

George Groves fighting Jamie Cox in the first fight. Never seen Cox but heard he's decent though somewhat unproven.

Team Groves
Goldenboy87
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:57 AM »

Really looking forward to the fights, obviously always a great concept the tournaments if they are done well and also have a bit of luck. Unfortunately injuries always play a part, but alot of money on the line so can imagine guys won’t necessarily be looking to pull out with little niggles.

Just a bit of a waiting game now for the fights to happen. Not so up to speed on all the Cruiserweights but obviously on paper looks like a fantastic line up with all 4 of the title holders in the mix and some dangerous fighters filling the other 4 spaces including Mike Perez!

Super Middleweight obviously bigger interest on the UK side with Groves, Smith, Cox and hopefully Eubank Jr

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2017, 09:51:00 AM »

Full list of match-ups for the quarter finals:

Super-middleweight

George Groves v Jamie Cox

Callum Smith v Erik Skoglund

Chris Eubank Jr/Arthur Abraham v Avni Yildirim

Jurgen Brahmer v Rob Brant

Cruiserweight

Oleksandr Usyk v Marco Huck

Murat Gassiev v Krzysztof Wlodarczyk

Mairis Briedis v Mike Perez

Yunier Dorticos v Dmitry Kudryashov
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2017, 10:27:13 AM »

George Groves fighting Jamie Cox in the first fight. Never seen Cox but heard he's decent though somewhat unproven.

He could iron out Groves in an upset.

If Groves boxes well, he should win - but Cox is a live opponent.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: