LiveFight
October 21, 2017, 08:23:10 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wlad Retires  (Read 1053 times)
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« on: August 03, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »

https://twitter.com/EddieHearn
https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/4159842/wladimir-klitschko-retires-anthony-joshua-rematch-now-off/
http://www.skysports.com/boxing/news/12183/10971853/wladimir-klitschko-announces-retirement-from-boxing
Quote from Eddie on twitter and just had notification from Sky Sports on my phone
« Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 08:24:18 AM by jaff_no1 » Logged
LiveFight
« on: August 03, 2017, 08:21:05 AM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:27:56 AM »

I think he used up everything he had left with his performance against AJ.  Whilst not going out on top in the fashion that Lewis did, I think for Wlad the showing he put in last time out certainly raised his stock in the estimation of a lot of fans.  Whilst it's unlikely he'll ever be lauded in the top bracket of heavyweights, he's certainly one of the most successful of all time and hopefully he has an enjoyable retirement as he seems to have a settled life.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 08:43:56 AM »

I think he used up everything he had left with his performance against AJ.  Whilst not going out on top in the fashion that Lewis did, I think for Wlad the showing he put in last time out certainly raised his stock in the estimation of a lot of fans.  Whilst it's unlikely he'll ever be lauded in the top bracket of heavyweights, he's certainly one of the most successful of all time and hopefully he has an enjoyable retirement as he seems to have a settled life.
I'm actually quite surprised about this decision. I would have thought he would have wanted the rematch. He had AJ in so much trouble and didn't put his foot on the gas to finish him off he might always be wondering "what if". Unless he realised he didn't have it in him any more and decided he would fare worse in a rematch
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2017, 09:26:23 AM »

I'm actually quite surprised about this decision. I would have thought he would have wanted the rematch. He had AJ in so much trouble and didn't put his foot on the gas to finish him off he might always be wondering "what if". Unless he realised he didn't have it in him any more and decided he would fare worse in a rematch

Maybe injury niggles, personal issues etc creeping in - or he's now spent following that fight.

Those fights take it out of you.
Bermondsey Boy

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »

Pleased for Wlad.

Not chasing the $$$$ like some (rematch would have been 9 figures I suspect).

Hopefully Wilder gets involved now.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 09:45:59 AM »

Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2017, 11:49:04 AM »

Couldn't agree more - very surprising decision.

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2017, 11:55:38 AM »

A wise move....his performance and bravery shown last time out elevated his stock, a rematch would have seen Joshua fight the correct fight tactically and wipe Wlad out and the good feeling Wlad generated last time would have been lost.

Although the rematch would have been interesting to see what Joshua had learned, it was only going over old ground.

There are fresh challenges for Joshua to take on....though first he'll have to bash up Pulev which is a pretty pointless exercise but got to be done if he wants to keep holds of his straps and eventually complete a full unification.

Goodbye Wlad....he won't be missed. He always came across well in interviews, seems a decent eneough man, but his title reign was boring as f*ck. Glad he retired on a sort of high and on the back of a entertaining and brave effort.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »

I think it is unfair to say his title reign being boring was his fault. There was a lot of ko's in there. It is more due to the poor quality of the opposition as opposed to Wlad necessarily being boring
glenn_user
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2017, 01:38:37 PM »

imagine what the HW division would have looked like without the klitchkos. they were the only two professional athletes/sportsmen at that weight for over a decade.
glenn_user
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2017, 01:43:22 PM »

i also wonder if he took a while trying to negotiate a wilder fight for one last hurrah? a fight he would have easily won to retire as a beltholder. of course, wilders handlers seem to just be sitting waiting to cash him out so wouldnt want any part of it.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2017, 02:00:33 PM »

imagine what the HW division would have looked like without the klitchkos. they were the only two professional athletes/sportsmen at that weight for over a decade.

It would most probably have been a much more entertaining division akin to the 'lost generation' of 80's heavyweights before Tyson came along.
bigbibbs

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2017, 02:11:40 PM »

I am so glad that Vlad has called time on a great career.

The AJ fight was the last his body could probably achieve.  It was a hard fight and perhaps had he had that little extra spite, he would have nailed AJ for good.

But better to go out on a great performance despite the loss, that to try again and find out there is nothing left and get hurt.

He has more money than he can spend and a great life outside of boxing.

A lot of people have called him over the years for his character and skills.  But i think he has been a positive role model on all fronts.

I wish him well and hopefully he will stay connected to boxing and bring through some more talent.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2017, 04:41:27 PM »

I think it is unfair to say his title reign being boring was his fault. There was a lot of ko's in there. It is more due to the poor quality of the opposition as opposed to Wlad necessarily being boring

It was boring because he always fought so skittish and scared. His opposition was poor but on many occasions they were allowed to stick around for several rounds because Wlad was so tentative, and it was especially unsatisfactory because on many occasions the opposition was undersized too.

I respect his achievements, but he generally wasn't fun to watch.

He went out on his shield against Joshua though, so he leaves on a high note. I hope he enjoys his retirement.
wbamitch

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »

A little bit surprised with the announcement, from all the talk the rematch looked all but set for Vegas. I really came into boxing at the start of the decade so missed a fair bit, maybe fortunate for me but I respect the brothers always coming in in great shape right up until the end, obviously ran Joshua as close as possible but still gets himself in much better condition than a lot of the 'fresh heavyweights' and had done that right the way through. The style of course was not the most entertaining but he had his method which proved ultra effective for him and the KO record speaks for itself. There was talk about the way the brothers manipulated things but in the public both the brothers conducted themselves very well, clearly educated and well spoken.

The challengers can be questioned but whenever there seemed a genuine contender for the belts he dominated perhaps even more so. Over here he will of course be remembered for Joshua's defining night where he came back from the Fury defeat to really test Joshua and perhaps show he's not quite what he has been built as. I do think he really should have got the job done that night but it was a memorable fight and I'm sure there's a lot he can teach Joshua in retirement as well as what he gave him in the ring that night. 
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: