LiveFight
October 18, 2017, 03:43:19 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Without the eye going??  (Read 1494 times)
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 08:09:51 AM »

Did Nigel Benn suffer the same injury when he beat Gerald McLellan?

No.....broken nose and broken jaw.
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 08:09:51 AM »

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2017, 08:18:14 AM »

What i don't understand is people stating that spence caused the injury as if he managed to do something special. Firstly i have not known spence to ever break a persons orbital bone before... not in the amateurs or professional ranks. Nether have i heard of GGG doing the same to his opponents.

So brook suffered punches that had the force to break bone yet not concussive enough to drop him.  To me that strikes me as bad luck.

Spence and GGG may well go onto KO'ing many opponents in the future but i doubt many of them will result in the bone breaking damage brook has endured twice.

What i am saying is that spence was not lucky that his punch landed successfully... as a boxer you are expected to land at some point. He was lucky in the effect that punch had on brook... a fragility... that was not the norm. Otherwise this sort of injury would be far more common and I don't think it is.

Prior to the fracture... brook had Spence under control. Spence was almost being reckless from frustration... simply being countered.

A footballer gets kicked in his leg and fowled week in week out by mis-timed tackles... however it is instantly considered terrible bad luck if it ends in a leg break or injury that puts him out of the match.

Think that's the thing for me as well......it was a freaky type of injury.

Now if I'd seen Spence turn the tables prior I'd be more willing to think that Spence had already taken over....but he was losing the fight and coming under increasing fire, right until Brook suffered the injury.

What irritates me now....is the story will simply be that Spence broke Brook down and stopped him. But I didn't see much breaking down happening for Spence 'until' Brook's eye went in what is a strange, and relatively rare type of injury.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »

How can you claim that Tim when Brook had started to put Spence to the sword in the 6th?

Neither mans output was anything special, it was nip and tuck but Brook was controlling the terms much better till the injury occurred....hence him being up on the official cards, SKY, Showtimes, etc.

He'd fought the fight at a controlled, measured pace.....and his manner of fighting didn't change until the 7th round.

When exactly do you think the injury took place? To me I had Brook winning but his out put then dwindled and he went onto the back foot....looked to be pre injury to me.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2017, 09:36:15 AM »

When exactly do you think the injury took place? To me I had Brook winning but his out put then dwindled and he went onto the back foot....looked to be pre injury to me.

I assumed the 7th, but quite a few people now think it might have actually happened during the 6th....which was a round where Brook was clearly getting on top of Spence, which highlights again what a freak fight changing occurrence it was.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »

I assumed the 7th, but quite a few people now think it might have actually happened during the 6th....which was a round where Brook was clearly getting on top of Spence, which highlights again what a freak fight changing occurrence it was.

Can't recall Brook struggling with the eye at all until the 11th....will have to watch the fight back sometime but I thought the pace got to him way before the injury did.
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2017, 09:52:50 AM »

Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2017, 12:42:20 PM »

I thought the injury happened during the 7th round however a world championship fight is 12 rounds and in the end he was exhausted. I have watched back the fight again. I still have it 4-2 Spence after six but I wouldn't argue to much with 3-3. I have Brook taking the first and 6th from that.

The point of boxing is to be hit without being hit we all know that in this fight Brook sustained an injury from blows not an accidental clash of heads, if he feels hard done by then I would have expected him to be asking for an immediate rematch he isn't or I might have missed it? 

The fight without the injury has the same outcome.

A Slice of Life
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 02:13:14 PM »

Without the eye injury I think Brook loses on the cards.
He wouldn't have worked hard enough to win the later rounds IMO. My thoughts before the fight were the same, the eye injury just unravelled him rather than having him slowed down and beaten on points.
Brook won the first half of the fight but couldn't get Spence out of there, he was always going to struggle late on.

I'm not buying the hype on spence either, he's good but not great. Timothy Bradley part 2.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2017, 05:51:00 PM »

His eye was a problem much earlier than that.....they were talking about it in the corner, with Brook saying that he thought 'it'd happened again' and Ingle trying to calm him down and telling him to just keep boxing as he had been doing successfully earlier. Obviously that was easier said than done with that injury.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2017, 06:08:02 PM »

I thought the injury happened during the 7th round however a world championship fight is 12 rounds and in the end he was exhausted. I have watched back the fight again. I still have it 4-2 Spence after six but I wouldn't argue to much with 3-3. I have Brook taking the first and 6th from that.

The point of boxing is to be hit without being hit we all know that in this fight Brook sustained an injury from blows not an accidental clash of heads, if he feels hard done by then I would have expected him to be asking for an immediate rematch he isn't or I might have missed it? 

The fight without the injury has the same outcome.

Its the type of injury it is and when it occurred that's the crux of it. Its not a common or expected injury and it happened at a time when Brook was more than just in the fight. He was getting the best of it....on the official cards, with SKY, Showtime and most observers.

Had he been struggling prior to the injury it'd not really be relevant, but he fighting well and had showed no stamina/conditioning issues....till his eye went. A rematch would be great but Brook will be off for some time healing and there was no rematch clause. Plus he won't drag himself down to 47 again. He'll return at 154 and be better for the added poundage.
bigbibbs

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2017, 10:41:05 AM »

Old news I know but yes spence would have won either way.
Brook suddenly fell apart even before the punches that caused the damage.
He took a while to get going but when he did he switched gears and caused brook problems.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2017, 11:52:05 AM »

Old news I know but yes spence would have won either way.
Brook suddenly fell apart even before the punches that caused the damage.
He took a while to get going but when he did he switched gears and caused brook problems.

Sorry mate but that's just not true.....quite the reverse in fact, Brook was actually enjoying his best moments when the eye went.
The fight fell away after he suffered the injury, before that he was doing fine and was ahead on the cards too.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: