LiveFight
October 21, 2017, 08:26:53 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canelo  (Read 366 times)
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »

Just me whom thought he had the cleaner, more impressive work when he let his hands go?

Granted, he should have done more and I think he was aiming for the judges to take care of things.

But GGG's fabled power and intense pressure was not evident at all.

I think he shaded it, but was hardly a monster in there. He looked slow, his punches didn't find the target and didn't inflict much damage.

I say the above as a fan of neither tbh.
LiveFight
« on: September 19, 2017, 10:25:52 AM »

The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 10:45:05 AM »

When Canelo let his hands go he landed the much better quality punches.  Unfortunately they were all to infrequent.  I think GGG could have cut the ring off slightly better at times but after the first few rounds Canelo was on his bike so much that it make it difficult for GGG to catch up with him.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:06:27 AM »

When Canelo let his hands go he landed the much better quality punches.  Unfortunately they were all to infrequent.  I think GGG could have cut the ring off slightly better at times but after the first few rounds Canelo was on his bike so much that it make it difficult for GGG to catch up with him.

Agreed

I just read the word "robbery" when the reality that the dodgy card aside, GGG hardly had his way with Canelo - and some preffered the latter's work overall. Stating that marching forward is not effective aggression, especially when the shots glance or miss the head and body, and land on arms and shoulders.

cowboy55
the court jester supreme
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2017, 12:12:01 PM »

Nevada State Athletic Commision has effectively put Byrd on "hiatus" from judging(wonder why??? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes)

god bless ya Larry Costa-running laps in that track in the sky&remember all the little dudes-they're what it's all about mateys
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »

I have seen it mentioned a few times that if it were Mayweather in the ring utting that same performance in as Canelo he'd have been applauded for it.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »

Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2017, 06:16:53 PM »

Canelo was fantastic in short spurts. Speed, accuracy and combinations were phenomenal but GGG only allowed him to do it in cameos. Once GGG started coming forward and got the distance, timing right in the 4th Canelo struggled with the pressure and weight of the shots. Showed an amazing chin, but started backing up. When have you seen Canelo backup like that? He went from backing up to running like a rabbit in that second half.

It was a great fight but an ordinary performance from GGG, YET he still commanded the center of the ring and made a man who isn't a dancer, dance. He did what he normally does, he's effective with it. He head hunted way too much against Alvarez and almost entirely abandoned the body. Had he gone to the body and stayed there he might have broke Canelo down and got him out of there.

I initially had it GGG by two but having watched it again and the less eye catching 'consistent' work of GGG, I scored the the fight by a much much wider margin. And rightly so. You can't take a vacations during rounds when a man is pressuring you and catching you with shots.

G-man
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2017, 06:27:30 PM »

I have seen it mentioned a few times that if it were Mayweather in the ring utting that same performance in as Canelo he'd have been applauded for it.
He did some good offensive work in spurts as we all saw but his defensive work makes the comparison with Mayweather redundant IMO.

When all said and done he was out landed.

I agree with Red though, it was never a robbery just the one poor card which magnified peoples disbelief at what was a close fight.
Tim2366
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2017, 07:28:02 PM »

He did some good offensive work in spurts as we all saw but his defensive work makes the comparison with Mayweather redundant IMO.

When all said and done he was out landed.

I agree with Red though, it was never a robbery just the one poor card which magnified peoples disbelief at what was a close fight.

Canelo was making Golovkin miss that right hand for fun....granted it wasn't as consistent as Mayweather but it's not like Canelo was shipping big shots all night....in fact I'm pretty sure the punch stats indicated that Golovkin only opened up a gap in shots landed because of the amount of jabs he landed.
bigbibbs

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 08:26:11 PM »

If you have to score a round by ten and one guy is running away I know who gets the points.
Neither was amazing but I think that was because canelo would not fight. He ran and ran and ran and then threw some clean punches in an effort to keep ggg off for a second.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 08:48:19 PM »

Canelo landed well in spells, GGG was effective with his pressure in spells. Neither were consistent through the full 12 rounds. GGGs jab however gave him a measure of control from start to finish and it's pretty much that that gave him the edge in the fight as far as I'm concerned. Just like the Jacobs fight. His struggle to properly detonate was compensated by a brilliantly consistent jab to keep his nose in front.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: