LiveFight
November 18, 2017, 11:35:08 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Building Joshua vs Wilder **Wilder v Stiverne SPOILER**  (Read 1981 times)
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »

Is there actually any potential gain to Joshua by trying to crack the American market?  Not sure of the potential revenues involved, but it does seem like anyone who wants to fight him will have to do so in the UK?  No bad thing in my opinion.

I think there is a potentially lucrative market there obviously if Matchroom can get the American's behind Joshua. There are a lot of potential PPV customers across there if they can pique their interest. And I suppose the best way to do that is to beat their best man.

The problem is Wilder doesn't really have any kind of big profile himself. So really Joshua will be breaking America on his own as opposed to really piggybacking on Wilder's profile, cus Wilder doesn't really have any....mainly because his promoter is doing a really sh*tty job.

Wilder is loud but a good talker and somewhat likeable, he can punch extremely hard, and American boxing has been starved of any decent American heavyweights for a long time. He's an easy sell for any promoter, but he's being promoted terribly.

Really it'll be down to Matchroom to build Wilder up on both sides of the pond, which is what Hearn is trying to do by getting a Wilder/Whyte fight made in the interim.

But I do think if everything went as planned, then AJ does have the 'potential' to be a cross over star in America. Obviously a lot of work to do first, but I can see a path to that.

But I certainly don't think Joshua needs to go cap in hand to the American's....not when boxing is so hot in the UK right now. The American's need to understand that we call the shots right now. I think they are starting to get that....but whether Wilder the d*ck who 'promotes' him get that is another thing.
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 03:37:54 PM »

Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 11:23:04 PM »

He applied for his visa in Feb this year so obv plannin on going . Five year knock back isn't it if
You fail first hurdle ? Could be wrong on that
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 07:40:35 AM »

I don't really see Wilder as that big a fight if I am honest. If you hold your shape and move against Wilder then you'll eventual counter and stop him. If there is any sort of plan in place it would surely be AJ vs Parker in march with Tyson Fury fighting around the same time. You'd then think a summer fight against Wilder would be the next major step again with Tyson Fury fighting around this time with AJ Vs Fury either the end of the year start of next year.

I don't think any of them are that good tbh Fury fit and healthy is the best of a bad bunch. AJ is poor he's a big powerful guy and thats about it he's a British version of Wilder just not as wild. He wants you on the end of a jab so he can overhand right you. Simple movement and in close fighting causes him major problems that said AJ has a fantastic uppercut. AJ can get better and develop but there is a lot of clever marketing at the back of him. If I was Fury I'd fancy a clean sweep during 2018.

A Slice of Life
Scarface
Executive Member

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 12:21:04 PM »

The biggest reason why Wilder will not want to face Joshua in the UK is the big reputation the UK is getting for premature ref stoppages.

There use to be a time where they would reiterate that the 3 knockdown rule was in effect... ect. However in the UK it looks like fights will never get that far.

If I was wilder I would steer clear of fighting in the UK. If he gets rocked by Joshua the ref will jump in and stop the fight. Nobody wants to pay money to see that.

The UK refs have ruined a lot of fights over the last few years.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 12:23:00 PM by Scarface » Logged

You need people like me ... You need people like me so you can point your fokking finger and say hey, dats the bad guy.
The Hurricane
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 01:09:26 PM »

In fairness, the three knockdown rule isn't really a thing anymore with most bodies/jurisdictions so it isn't going to be mentioned.
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 01:09:26 PM »

Tuco
Executive Member

'When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk.' Tuco

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 02:18:26 PM »

Tyson Fury has just stated that he's fighting Joshua next and that he's REEEEEALLY excited about it! Lol

https://m.youtube.com/watch?t=6s&v=h62CKyf4khc

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N4Xw9FDhez8
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 02:24:42 PM by Tuco » Logged
Laney
V.I.P
Executive Member

Eddie Hearn fanclub

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 03:11:39 PM »

If I was Wilder, i'd take the Whyte fight in a heart beat.

The judges shouldn't matter if he is confident and I don't think it is as bad as made out anyway.

He would get a career high pay day when there are no lucrative alternatives outside of AJ, he would make the AJ fight even bigger and he would command a higher percentage of that pot.

He has pissed about for years following winning the title - whats he got to lose? Hes in the game for the dough and all the dough is in the UK - he just needs to come and take it!

Entered the stadium on a bus, left looking like he'd just been hit by one.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 04:15:28 PM »

If I was Wilder, i'd take the Whyte fight in a heart beat.

The judges shouldn't matter if he is confident and I don't think it is as bad as made out anyway.

He would get a career high pay day when there are no lucrative alternatives outside of AJ, he would make the AJ fight even bigger and he would command a higher percentage of that pot.

He has pissed about for years following winning the title - whats he got to lose? Hes in the game for the dough and all the dough is in the UK - he just needs to come and take it!

Problem with Wilder is he's scared to risk the mega payday against Joshua. He figures if he hangs on long enough he'll just get the Joshua fight and the payday without gambling beforehand.  But if he was as confident as he says he is....then he could take the Whyte fight for about 4 times his previous best purse and make that mega payday against Joshua even bigger.

He simply cannot be as confident in his own abilities as he makes out....or he'd grab the payday against Whyte in a heartbeat and move on to the AJ fight.
Laney
V.I.P
Executive Member

Eddie Hearn fanclub

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 04:21:48 PM »

Problem with Wilder is he's scared to risk the mega payday against Joshua. He figures if he hangs on long enough he'll just get the Joshua fight and the payday without gambling beforehand.  But if he was as confident as he says he is....then he could take the Whyte fight for about 4 times his previous best purse and make that mega payday against Joshua even bigger.

He simply cannot be as confident in his own abilities as he makes out....or he'd grab the payday against Whyte in a heartbeat and move on to the AJ fight.

Hes a fighter though, I doubt he'd have the reservations himself - but just those round him perhaps?

Either way, if he has the capability to lose to Whyte, he had the capability to lose to any other top 15 heavyweight - so just take the Whyte fight in the UK for the $$$. Fastcar has said he can have the rematch if he loses for guess what? More $$$. All whilst building the inevitable AJ fight.

Any bog standard defence in the US does not contribute towards any long term plan that I can see? Hes been doing that for 2 years and his profile is arguably lower than it was post Stivernne?

Entered the stadium on a bus, left looking like he'd just been hit by one.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyvyTUDJsM

He's boxed in the UK before.

A Slice of Life
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 04:32:40 PM »

Hes a fighter though, I doubt he'd have the reservations himself - but just those round him perhaps?

Either way, if he has the capability to lose to Whyte, he had the capability to lose to any other top 15 heavyweight - so just take the Whyte fight in the UK for the $$$. Fastcar has said he can have the rematch if he loses for guess what? More $$$. All whilst building the inevitable AJ fight.

Any bog standard defence in the US does not contribute towards any long term plan that I can see? Hes been doing that for 2 years and his profile is arguably lower than it was post Stivernne?

Think he just wants to ride that WBC title to the AJ shot because he knows that Joshua wants all the belts...

I agree with what you 're saying.....its frustrating because logically he should just take the Whyte fight.

You could be right about those around him....I do think that d*ckhead DiBella is playing his part in stunting developments as the moment. And with him its just about ego and not wanting to acknowledge that British boxing rule the roost at the moment and he and his fighter 'need' to travel. Can see with his recent comments about Hearn that DiBella's feathers have been ruffled and he's acting like a bit of a b*tch.

Hopefully common sense prevails in the end.
lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2017, 04:33:43 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCyvyTUDJsM

He's boxed in the UK before.

Different then though....now he thinks he's made it. And to a degree he has as long as he's got that WBC bargaining chip.
The_Answer
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2017, 05:04:16 PM »

That's abit unfair considering he was set to fight Povetkin in Russia not so long back before getting cheated out of it. Then he was set to fight Ortiz before again getting cheated out of it. It's easy to say he's not taking risks, but his record would of had a completely different look come Monday if it wasn't for cheats.

lurkyshaka
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2017, 05:28:26 PM »

That's abit unfair considering he was set to fight Povetkin in Russia not so long back before getting cheated out of it. Then he was set to fight Ortiz before again getting cheated out of it. It's easy to say he's not taking risks, but his record would of had a completely different look come Monday if it wasn't for cheats.

Fair enough, I did think about that. But that just makes his reluctance to fight Whyte all the more puzzling.
Dexter_Morgan
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2017, 05:36:59 PM »

Different then though....now he thinks he's made it. And to a degree he has as long as he's got that WBC bargaining chip.

Of course he's made it he's a World Heavyweight champion. He might not have made it in super fight sense however like has just been said he's been signed to fight decent fighters and they have fallen through. Dillian Whyte doesn't have a profile stateside and he's probably not wanting to chance fighting in the UK on a Hearn show because lets be honest there have been a few questionable results and stoppages.

If its that big of a deal why doesn't Hearn sit down and go straight for the Josuha fight?

A Slice of Life
LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: