LiveFight
September 25, 2018, 09:42:19 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GGG v Canelo 2 **SPOILER ALERT**  (Read 3155 times)
wbamitch

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »

Canelo was great and in my eyes deserved the win, I donít usually have a problem with the boxnation/BT commentary team, I could not believe what I was hearing or what I was not hearing. Caneloís body attack was exceptional and was a major factor in allowing him to take the front foot, he fought the fight Abel Sanchez and GGG wanted him to, which didnít quite work out so well for them.
There is very much a trend of people who have to favour the aggressor when scoring fights and ignoring the cleaner work, Canelo had both and at times dominated GGG so it baffles me that these same people think GGG was ĎRobbedí.

I had it 116-112, I can see it closer, a draw would be harsh but acceptable, in no way was there a robbery. It was a fantastic performance by Canelo where even if you didnít score for him you have to realise that was a highly competitive fight.

I was curious to hear the pundits, particularly Haye who I think does a fantastic job analysing fights, I was pleased to hear they were all a lot more realistic - they were all split with close scores.

I actually cheered for Canelo with the verdict as I felt his work had been disrespected and itís ashame to see the same online. Because of what was perceived in the first fight, mainly due to 118-110 and of course the Mexican meat I think no matter how many times they fight GGG will always be the peopleís guy and hard to see anything other than a victory for him.
LiveFight
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:35 AM »

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2018, 09:47:52 AM »

If Canelo killed him to the body that much then surely it's impossible for the significantly older man to come back so strongly like GGG did in the last third of the fight?

Great fight and can be interpreted in a number of ways. Canelo being the one moving forward seems to be a surprise to a lot of people, like we've never seen GGG have to give a little ground and use his jab before to establish some measure of control even though he did exactly that in the first fight and also against Jacobs. His jab is superb and it was once again last night, from start to finish. It was the one consistent weapon for either man as far as I could see. Canelo did some damage in the first half of the fight and has to be given props for backing GGG up, but for sure Golovkin looked like the one who genuinely hurt Canelo as he unloaded bombs later on. Maybe he will wish he'd stepped on the gas a little earlier.

Close fight, the scores were completely legit, I don't buy all the robbery nonsense all over social media this morning. I was rooting big time for GGG and do think by the end of the fight he was the stronger man but he might be wishing he'd mixed it a little more with Canelo in the first half of the fight and backed up his jab with a little more heavy artillery. Perhaps he allowed too many early rounds to be interpreted in Canelo's favour especially knowing the territory they were in.
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2018, 09:49:21 AM »

Canelo was great and in my eyes deserved the win, I donít usually have a problem with the boxnation/BT commentary team, I could not believe what I was hearing or what I was not hearing. Caneloís body attack was exceptional and was a major factor in allowing him to take the front foot, he fought the fight Abel Sanchez and GGG wanted him to, which didnít quite work out so well for them.
There is very much a trend of people who have to favour the aggressor when scoring fights and ignoring the cleaner work, Canelo had both and at times dominated GGG so it baffles me that these same people think GGG was ĎRobbedí.

I had it 116-112, I can see it closer, a draw would be harsh but acceptable, in no way was there a robbery. It was a fantastic performance by Canelo where even if you didnít score for him you have to realise that was a highly competitive fight.

I was curious to hear the pundits, particularly Haye who I think does a fantastic job analysing fights, I was pleased to hear they were all a lot more realistic - they were all split with close scores.

I actually cheered for Canelo with the verdict as I felt his work had been disrespected and itís ashame to see the same online. Because of what was perceived in the first fight, mainly due to 118-110 and of course the Mexican meat I think no matter how many times they fight GGG will always be the peopleís guy and hard to see anything other than a victory for him.

You should have heard the HBO commentary, they were all over Canelo from start to finish.
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »

If Canelo killed him to the body that much then surely it's impossible for the significantly older man to come back so strongly like GGG did in the last third of the fight?

You could visibly see that GGG was wilting from those body shots...you couldn't tell from his face because he had his usual stern poker face, but you could tell from the way his body was reacting...but this fight showed that both fighters are cut from a different cloth, because any other man would have folded from Canelo's body work, and for GGG to finish so strongly despite his age and all is testament to the man rather than bringing the capability Canelo's body shot armoury into question...likewise, late on, GGG was hitting Canelo with some hellacious shots that would have stopped most fighters, but these fighters, both of them, are on another level to most...two modern greats and I salute them both
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »

You could visibly see that GGG was wilting from those body shots...you couldn't tell from his face because he had his usual stern poker face, but you could tell from the way his body was reacting...but this fight showed that both fighters are cut from a different cloth, because any other man would have folded from Canelo's body work, and for GGG to finish so strongly despite his age and all is testament to the man rather than bringing the capability Canelo's body shot armoury into question...likewise, late on, GGG was hitting Canelo with some hellacious shots that would have stopped most fighters, but these fighters, both of them, are on another level to most...two modern greats and I salute them both

I wasn't calling canelos body work into question. He did plenty and golovkin clearly didn't enjoy it much, but the actual effect can't have been all that great if GGG still had so much left in the tank to finish as strong as he did, and I'm talking about the last 4 or 5 rounds too, not a desperate last gasp salvo in the last round or two.

Again, I'm not doubting the quality of canelos attacks, he was outstanding. So was GGG. But out of the two of them I felt canelo was the one who wilted more under the fire of GGG late on.

I'm with you in saluting the pair of them for an awesome fight. I'd love to see GGG given the chance to gain his redemption though I'm not sure it will happen.
LiveFight
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2018, 02:06:44 PM »

Bonters
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2018, 03:28:32 PM »

Fabulous display from both fighters (which is maybe being overlooked?).  Too close to call with any degree of certainty but I've seen horrendous judging before and this was NOT it.  The 3 pundits in the BT studio each had a different result, testifying to how close it was.  A Round here or there, depending on your preference, was all that there was in it.  I was impartial, like them both.  I expected Alvarez to shave it after seeing the fight, and he did.  It'll happen again for sure, and until one of these two discovers how to get knocked out, it'll always be that close in my opinion.  Double 'ard barstewards, both of 'em.  Boxing at it's best
GOD
Executive Member

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2018, 05:18:00 PM »

I wasn't calling canelos body work into question. He did plenty and golovkin clearly didn't enjoy it much, but the actual effect can't have been all that great if GGG still had so much left in the tank to finish as strong as he did, and I'm talking about the last 4 or 5 rounds too, not a desperate last gasp salvo in the last round or two.

Again, I'm not doubting the quality of canelos attacks, he was outstanding. So was GGG. But out of the two of them I felt canelo was the one who wilted more under the fire of GGG late on.

I'm with you in saluting the pair of them for an awesome fight. I'd love to see GGG given the chance to gain his redemption though I'm not sure it will happen.

Absolutely, I'm still scratching my head how GGG was able to finish so strong after suffering such a body attack, I just think the guy must be made of iron or something...the fight was such a great tribute to boxing at its finest and let's all hope the third fight happens
bigbibbs

« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 06:27:12 PM »

First fight in years where I had that feeling in my belly that I used to get. This was pure brilliance from both in every round every minute and how each stayed up is a marvel.
I was so tense watching it as I tried to decide who I wanted to win.
I did think from round 2 canelo was bossing it and getting the edge.
However ggg came back and won most of the last third and rocked canelo down to his boots and back.
I think if ggg had enough left to force the last round he could have levelled it. But overall canelo did that. Little extra.
A third fight i feel would cement it further for canelo if he can hold that form. Ggg is getting long in the tooth and another year will come between another outing at that level.
Ggg was one of my best but so was canelo, only the story about the doping gripes me.
Anyway either way that was one hell of a tough amazing fight.
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2018, 08:40:19 AM »

First fight in years where I had that feeling in my belly that I used to get. This was pure brilliance from both in every round every minute and how each stayed up is a marvel.
I was so tense watching it as I tried to decide who I wanted to win.
I did think from round 2 canelo was bossing it and getting the edge.
However ggg came back and won most of the last third and rocked canelo down to his boots and back.
I think if ggg had enough left to force the last round he could have levelled it. But overall canelo did that. Little extra.
A third fight i feel would cement it further for canelo if he can hold that form. Ggg is getting long in the tooth and another year will come between another outing at that level.
Ggg was one of my best but so was canelo, only the story about the doping gripes me.
Anyway either way that was one hell of a tough amazing fight.

I know what you mean about 'feeling in my belly' with regards big fights.

Sadly it's absent for most fans nowadays. Apart from the odd bout like this one.
TC

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2018, 06:37:59 AM »

I know what you mean about 'feeling in my belly' with regards big fights.

Sadly it's absent for most fans nowadays. Apart from the odd bout like this one.

Yep.

Felt like you were watching a classic, which it was.

Fair play to both of them, seriously impressive effort.

Did anyone else think Golovkin looked a bit slow? I felt that his hooks/right hands lacked a bit of snap and Canelo was able to make him miss quite a lot.

FWIW, I had Canelo (just) due to his early work, when I think he shocked GGG a bit by standing infront of him.

I've got no beef with the scores, the only problem is the first fight, which should have gone to GGG and would have left it 1-1 going into the third fight.

"Me: We"
Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2018, 05:11:47 PM »

Yep.

Felt like you were watching a classic, which it was.

Fair play to both of them, seriously impressive effort.

Did anyone else think Golovkin looked a bit slow? I felt that his hooks/right hands lacked a bit of snap and Canelo was able to make him miss quite a lot.

FWIW, I had Canelo (just) due to his early work, when I think he shocked GGG a bit by standing infront of him.

I've got no beef with the scores, the only problem is the first fight, which should have gone to GGG and would have left it 1-1 going into the third fight.

Not particularly, but then again I've never really identified GGG as a fighter with stand-out speed really, more like just great timing and obviously enough snap to to back up the natural power.

So many arguments can be made for either fighter it was just that kind of fight. Did GGG's jab really do that much to stop Canelo coming forward, was Canelo's body work really that effective considering the older man still had enough in the tank to produce by far his own best offensive work in the last 4 or 5 rounds of the fight. Canelo arguably inflicted more damage on GGG but you could also argue that GGG visbily hurt Canelo several times in the latter stages of the fight. Just an unbelievable fight, it's hard to imagine that human beings can dish out and take that sort of punishment from each other. As modern boxing goes, this fight has to be up there with the very best, elite level fighting we've seen in this era.

The one major issue I have (and I felt the same way after the first Kovalev Ward fight), is the point scoring system being used to determine the outcome of fights. My point being Golovkin lost a hell of a lot at the weekend; his unbeaten record and a stack load of titles all gone because of a razor thin decision that really isn't backed up concusively by the consensus of so called pundits, experts, ex-fighters etc. Does a man in Golovkin's position really deserve to lose all that in those circumstances?
Driscoll
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »

i was watching the US version and the commentary wasnít too bad. I scored it a draw watching it live and if I had to pick a winner probably wouldíve been GGG. That being said it was non stop and there werenít too many rounds that youíd say had a clear winner so have no problem with Canelo being given it by 2 rounds.

I find it hard to celebrate someone who failed a drug test but that aside he brought everything to the party on fight night. He stood there and took the fight to Golovkin and his tactics were spot on and ultimately won him the fight. He knew Golovkin started slow and came on very strong in the second half of fights. So the body work from early on didnít stop Golovkin in his tracks but slowed him down just enough so that Canelo could still be competitive until the end.

I hope BJS gets a crack at Canelo, style wise I think he has the tools to beat him.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: