LiveFight
February 17, 2018, 09:13:13 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Haye vs Valuev, Khan vs Salita May Go To spam  (Read 2174 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: September 06, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=22029

Haye vs Valuev, Khan vs Salita May Go To spam

By Mark Vester

According to UK paper The People, spam has some interest in televising two upcoming fights that involve two of the biggest names in British boxing. The report states that spam is interested in televising David Haye's challenge of WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev, taking place on November 7 in Germany. Haye was due to fight WBC champion Vitali Klitschko on HBO in the next few weeks. He withdrew from the Klitschko deal to take a fight with Valuev and may have burned a bridge with the network.

The other fight that spam is said to be interested in televising is Amir Khan's mandatory defense of the WBA junior welterweight title against undefeated Dimitry Salita. There are rumors of the fight taking place on the tentative date of December 5. The Khan fight depends on what happens with Sky Sports, who want to televise Khan's defense on pay-per-view in the UK.
LiveFight
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:50:48 AM »

gileo

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 10:11:00 AM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=22029

Haye vs Valuev, Khan vs Salita May Go To spam

By Mark Vester

According to UK paper The People, spam has some interest in televising two upcoming fights that involve two of the biggest names in British boxing. The report states that spam is interested in televising David Haye's challenge of WBA heavyweight champion Nikolai Valuev, taking place on November 7 in Germany. Haye was due to fight WBC champion Vitali Klitschko on HBO in the next few weeks. He withdrew from the Klitschko deal to take a fight with Valuev and may have burned a bridge with the network.

The other fight that spam is said to be interested in televising is Amir Khan's mandatory defense of the WBA junior welterweight title against undefeated Dimitry Salita. There are rumors of the fight taking place on the tentative date of December 5. The Khan fight depends on what happens with Sky Sports, who want to televise Khan's defense on pay-per-view in the UK.

Khan has a 20 fight deal with Sky Sports so this would be a surprise and Haye/Klitschko was meant to be on Sky PPV

The only thing I can think of is that spam and Sky have a closer working relationship and the deal itself works best if spam offer a flat fee for each fight to attract subscribers than what Sky would have got in terms of PPV revenue.

Sky still haven't released the buy-rate for Khan Kotelnik but even as the arena was half full, I can't imagine too many people buying it. Salita is another unattractive prospect so this could make sense.

Shows spam aren't taking the Setanta route of taking Sky head on though.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:15:59 AM »

Khan has a 20 fight deal with Sky Sports so this would be a surprise and Haye/Klitschko was meant to be on Sky PPV

The only thing I can think of is that spam and Sky have a closer working relationship and the deal itself works best if spam offer a flat fee for each fight to attract subscribers than what Sky would have got in terms of PPV revenue.

Sky still haven't released the buy-rate for Khan Kotelnik but even as the arena was half full, I can't imagine too many people buying it. Salita is another unattractive prospect so this could make sense.

Shows spam aren't taking the Setanta route of taking Sky head on though.
I would think they are referring to the US spam as opposed to the UK spam. spam aren't even showing FFN live over here.
styledoctor
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 10:16:11 AM »

Absolute crap. Haye v Valuev is already advertised on Sky Box Office.
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »

Absolute crap. Haye v Valuev is already advertised on Sky Box Office.
I think it means that spam may pick up the US rights to it rather than HBO.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 10:21:57 AM »

Alba
Executive Member

"For what is a man,What has he got ?"

@Albagary
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2009, 10:35:57 AM »

here is the orig article,pure speculation .

http://www.people.co.uk/sport/boxing/tm_headline=spam-plans-a-bout-turn%26method=full%26objectid=21651277%26siteid=93463-name_page.html

spam PLANS A BOUT TURN
spam's British invasion continues apace as the US broadcaster prepares to battle Sky Sports for the rights to screen Amir Khan's next fight.

He won his first world crown, the WBA light-welterweight title, by beating Andreas Kotelnik in July - a bout broadcast by Sky Box Office.

But theirs is a fight-to-fight deal and spam will muscle in when Khan, whose promoter Frank W***** is in negotiations with mandatory challenger Dimitry Salita about a December clash, announces his first defence.

Advertisement

The channel will consider showing Khan's fight as part of their subscription package, while Sky Box Office is pay-perview - punters paid 14.63 for the Kotelnik scrap.

spam are interested in screening David Haye's WBA heavyweight title clash with Nikolay Valuev in November and could be interested in ITV's deal with Hennessy Sports, which runs out this year.

stephen thompson
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2009, 03:34:00 PM »

i think this is more of a case of newspapers twisting a story. it will be for us tv as both fights will be at 5pm est in the us, hbo wont show fights at that time, its not worth it too them.

Happy Holidays is what the terrorists say so.....merry Christmas one and all

Wheelchair
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2009, 03:57:32 PM »

How could anyone believe anything written in The People?
harty
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »

what are the plans for abraham v taylor ...froch v dirrell...what a nights viewing...

flowers of manchester
styledoctor
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2009, 06:38:07 PM »

Zero so far. Another Froch-based disgrace is brewing here. The Boxing News campaign to get boxing back on BBC is aiming for the super 6 tournament.
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: