LiveFight
July 16, 2018, 06:12:53 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mayweathers Injury  (Read 6388 times)
Hotdog
Executive Member

« on: June 16, 2009, 11:29:13 PM »

Firstly I am a Floyd fan but........................................... We all know Floyd has an issue with boxing legit Welterweights.

The day after the Cotto fight and the day after Arum annouces its likely to be Manny v Cotto, Floyd mysteriously gets this rib injury.

Heres a thought. If Floyd and JMM would of gone ahead in July,  it would of left Mayweather free to fight again around November, December time. However, as November is being touted as the date of the Manny v Cotto fight, Floyd would of been left with very few options around that time, and to face anyone other than Mosley would show Floyd as a bit of a coward.

By Floyd getting injured and pushing the fight with JMM back to September, it doesnt leave too much time before Manny and Cotto become available again, thus having a good excuse to avoid Mosley.

I think Floyd would beat all 4 of those mentioned but it still dont hide the fact he picks and chooses.

LiveFight
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:29:13 PM »

Gavin
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2009, 11:36:10 PM »

Never thought of that, good point! If Floyd does fight JMM and win and Manny fights Cotto and wins, who would be no.1? Would it force Floyd do have to fight Manny, as id put Manny ahead of Floyd as the number 1 should that happen

Gaz
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2009, 11:38:59 PM »

I read a theory somewhere about ticket sales for PBF and JMM being crap, therefore the date has been pushed back to drive the promotion of the fight for a little longer to try and encourage more buyers. Just a theory though..
Hotdog
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 11:45:49 PM »

Yeah I heard the ticket sales theory aswell, though I dont think time will make much difference to be honest.

My theory is mainly based on the timing of the report of Floyds injury.  It gets annouced the day after Pacman Cotto is pretty much given the green light.  Just made me wonder if the Mayweather camp thought, sod this we will get cornered into a fight with Mosley so lets hold our guns for a bit.
joey_ed27

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:37:35 AM »

Firstly I am a Floyd fan but........................................... We all know Floyd has an issue with boxing legit Welterweights.

The day after the Cotto fight and the day after Arum annouces its likely to be Manny v Cotto, Floyd mysteriously gets this rib injury.

Heres a thought. If Floyd and JMM would of gone ahead in July,  it would of left Mayweather free to fight again around November, December time. However, as November is being touted as the date of the Manny v Cotto fight, Floyd would of been left with very few options around that time, and to face anyone other than Mosley would show Floyd as a bit of a coward.

By Floyd getting injured and pushing the fight with JMM back to September, it doesnt leave too much time before Manny and Cotto become available again, thus having a good excuse to avoid Mosley.

I think Floyd would beat all 4 of those mentioned but it still dont hide the fact he picks and chooses.

Right on.  In Floyd's case it has never been a question of ability.  He has shown it.  Unfortunately not against legit opposition that can highlight his abilit even more.

"..If you train hard, the fight's easy... You know.." - Pacman
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:37:35 AM »

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 02:52:25 AM »

Firstly I am a Floyd fan but........................................... We all know Floyd has an issue with boxing legit Welterweights. The day after the Cotto fight and the day after Arum annouces its likely to be Manny v Cotto, Floyd mysteriously gets this rib injury. Heres a thought. If Floyd and JMM would of gone ahead in July, it would of left Mayweather free to fight again around November, December time. However, as November is being touted as the date of the Manny v Cotto fight, Floyd would of been left with very few options around that time, and to face anyone other than Mosley would show Floyd as a bit of a coward. By Floyd getting injured and pushing the fight with JMM back to September, it doesnt leave too much time before Manny and Cotto become available again, thus having a good excuse to avoid Mosley. I think Floyd would beat all 4 of those mentioned but it still dont hide the fact he picks and chooses.
i think your scraping the barrell a bit there mate
Socrates
V.I.P
Executive Member

Happy Valenbirthiversary

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »

If he's that scared of fighting Welterweights why did he fight Oscar at 154?

If you love something set it free. Unless it's a tiger.
Skav
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2009, 08:59:27 AM »

It's all down to money. Out of all the Mexican fighters, Marquez is the one that's had less stardom when compared to, say, Barrera or Morales and thus is a bit less popular.

Mayweather is just not popular.  Grin

I can see the lack of ticket sales being the problem.

Check out my articles at: http://www.ringnews 24.com (all one word)
Lane
V.I.P
Executive Member

I HATE AMIR KHAN

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2009, 10:47:51 AM »

probably because he seen odlh was deterriating and seen it as a cash cow fight, by now he could have easily fought cotto,mosley,williams and magarito its ridiculous to flawnt yourself as the best in the world, when some little fillipino dude is knocking fighters out and fighting th ebest

Hotdog
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2009, 10:56:27 AM »

There was a time when I used the same arguement to stick up for him. However, maybe he thought with Oscars age and his superior speed he could keep on his toes and pick him off, which he did.  Plus the Oscar fight had a massive wad of cash attached to it, which simply was too much for PBF to turn down and really launched Floyd into the PPV listings.  Without that fight and Hattons, Floyds name would be nowhere near as big as it is now. I dont think its a coincidence he also was in dancing for the stars and wrestlemania, to reach out for more fans and publicity.

My theorys of avoiding them, are also backed up by him saying he would never fight Cotto, as he didnt want to give Arum another big payday after there falling out.  I thought that was a fair enough excuse, as I wouldnt expect Ricky to give W***** another payday. Yet he seems willing to meet Pacman who is also promoted by Top Rank?  Thats what I cant get my head round.

He asked Ricky to step upto Welter, was fighting JMM at a catchweight and was known to be looking at Pacman.  Why is he going for all these smaller guys if he wants them at welterweight or as close to welter as possible.  You never even hear Floyd mentioning fighting Cotto or Mosley.
Mastadon

SOUTHERN STORM!

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2009, 11:22:23 AM »

As they say 2 + 2= 4.

Tickets for the JMM fight were low,and so they pushed back the fight closer to Mexican Independace day so as to attract more Mexican buys.If he had gone ahead and fought JMM in July and PPV numbers were low,then he would have lost the Lions share in the fight against Manny.So pushing the date back was Logical.
Now Richard Schafer has not said much about matching Mayweather against Manny in November,but he is instead keen on getting Shane Mosley a slice of the Cake.
Bob Arum wants Mayweather coz he knows many haters of Floyd will buy the fight against Manny just to see him getting beat.
Now he might have to put in Cotto vs Manny,coz Cotto has a bigger fanbase than Mosley.
V.I.P
Executive Member

Team Sevens

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2009, 11:34:29 AM »

I don't think Floyd has a problem fighting any legit Welterweight and I think the only one who would even pose him a problem would be Paul Williams, he woud beat Berto, Collazo, Mosley, Margarito, Cotto etc, he is that good
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 12:23:59 PM »

My theory is that Floyd got a rib injury and thus the fight was postponed Grin

Gibbo
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 12:29:04 PM »

where do you come up with these ridiculous theory's, have you been smoking something lol
Flo
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 12:46:17 PM »

Yes, somebody ribbed him about the ticket sales and it hurt so much he pulled out!
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: