LiveFight
September 25, 2018, 06:03:25 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roy Jones lining up November fight in Australia  (Read 2692 times)
WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »

DANNY GREEN was preparing to lock horns with heavyweight Samuel Peter before he convinced Roy Jones jnr to fight him in Australia. The walls have fallen; imaginative thinking backed by heavy finance now has Australian boxing in exotic territory, and what once was impossible is now an option.

Not since Jack Johnson battered Tommy Burns in 1908 in Sydney for the world heavyweight title has a fighter of such stature been scheduled to perform here. It will be the biggest boxing event ever held in Australia, expected to generate more than Green's $30 million superfight with Anthony Mundine in 2006.

Jones jnr is a legend already, the only man in the sport's history to win titles from middleweight to heavyweight - a feat unlikely to be matched again. Alongside Mike Tyson and Oscar De La Hoya, Jones jnr (53-5, 39KO) ranks as the most recognisable pugilist of the modern era. He has never fought outside the United States in his 20-year professional career but at 40, will grace the Australian audience with one of his final bouts.

When he departs he will have left a significant mark for other big names to follow, which, until now, has been the biggest hurdle facing the sport in Australia, forcing our best and brightest overseas in search of titles, money and credibility.

"For me to be able to be the biggest name to come down since Jack Johnson it's not like I'm coming down there to degrade or take credit from anybody, it's just that Danny Green is the guy most likely to be the cruiserweight champion, he got the title that I don't have, and I want it," Jones jnr said. "He wants to be a part of the biggest fight to happen down there ever, I want to be a part of the biggest fight to happen down there ever. We got to make it happen. Blood, sweat and tears, for the fans. That's what I want to be a part of."

Cruiserweight is the only division Jones jnr skipped on his way to becoming heavyweight king, and he is seeking to become a champion in a fifth weight class.

Green will fight on the undercard of Jones jnr's bout with Jeff Lacy in Mississippi on August 15. Green intends to defeat Argentina's Julio Cesar Dominguez for the IBO cruiserweight title, and defend the belt against Jones jnr in November.

"We had this a while ago, but as soon as I announced my comeback we got in touch with their people and got the ball rolling," said Green (26-3, 23KO), who came out of a year-long retirement two months ago. "We've worked it out, we're intelligent people and they're intelligent people. They have been very pleasant to deal with, and they can see the sense in this fight, so we're going to make it happen.

"It would definitely be the pinnacle, defeating Roy Jones jnr in Australia. We want to bring the big fights here, and they don't come bigger than Roy Jones."

Realistically, this would never have come to fruition if Jones jnr had performed better than his recent record of four wins in eight fights, but Green and his management team have been wise enough to take advantage of the opportunity.

No longer at the peak of his powers, Jones jnr nonetheless brings with him that age-old selling point - possibility. We might possibly see him replicate some of his best form: the flashy hand-speed and cocky headshake. He might turn back the clock, as foe Bernard Hopkins managed to do against Kelly Pavlik.

Australians will best remember Jones jnr for his outlandish knockout of Sydney fighter Glen Johnson in 2004, when the American put both hands behind his back, stuck out his chin, weaved just in time to evade Johnson's punch and, in the same motion, landed a cracking hook that shattered an eardrum and sent the crowd delirious.

Green noted: "You don't get Roy Jones jnr to Australia for $5."

For Green, the brief retirement has served only to pump his veins with more focus. "It's given me renewed hunger. This is my last roll of the dice, I know this," he said. "I'm pretty sure once I retire again, my age suggests that's it, it's over."

Even if Jones jnr loses to Lacy, he'll retain enough clout for the bout with Green to proceed. Who follows him is as limitless as the fighting ability Jones jnr once displayed to become an all-time great.

Source: The Sydney Morning Herald

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
LiveFight
« on: June 17, 2009, 07:34:40 PM »

Faulks
V.I.P
Executive Member

The Money Team Is Gonna Rip Your Boy A New One

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:40:11 PM »

Following on from another thread anyone going to this lol  Grin
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 08:46:07 PM by ianf69 » Logged
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »

Fight Payday
WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »

I bet Anthony Mundine will be in a right sulk, if this fight happens. You know how he loves the attention. Grin

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
Mastadon

SOUTHERN STORM!

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:39:24 AM »

Anthony Mundine's is a poor man's Floyd Mayweather here in Oz.
This will send his head into a spin coz he would have loved to add Roy Jones into his Resume of beating has beens and Club fighters.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 04:39:24 AM »

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 06:16:22 AM »

Anthony Mundine's is a poor man's Floyd Mayweather here in Oz.
This will send his head into a spin coz he would have loved to add Roy Jones into his Resume of beating has beens and Club fighters.
Isnt mundine suppose to have claimed greens only option was to have a re match with him? He must be sick as a dog right now
LiveFight

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: