LiveFight
January 17, 2018, 08:01:59 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: James Kirkland Sentenced, Fighting in 9/10 Months  (Read 3266 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: September 23, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=22390

James Kirkland Sentenced, Fighting in 9/10 Months

By Rick Reeno

BoxingScene.com has just learned that undefeated junior middleweight James Kirkland was sentenced earlier today to 24 months during a sentencing hearing at a federal court in Austin, Texas. The court shaved off 6 months for time already served, and he will receive 100 days off for good behavior under the federal guidelines. When he reaches the point where six months are remaining on his sentence, Kirkland will go to a half-way house to begin training for his ring return.

Below a brief background description on the incident:

Kirkland was arrested during a traffic stop on April 19 in Austin, Texas. Kirkland's vehicle was pulled over by agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. After conducting a search of the vehicle, a loaded .40-caliber Glock was discovered in the center console.

ATF agents were staking out a Saxet gun show and witnessed an exchange of money between Kirkland and his girlfriend Candice Jones. Jones used the money to purchase ammunition for a .40 caliber weapon at the show. Agents claimed that Kirkland, using his own ID, purchased the confiscated firearm on April 18 at the previously mentioned gun show. Earlier in the year, Kirkland was robbed at gunpoint. He was looking to get a weapon to protect himself.

Kirkland was still on probation for a 2003 armed robbery offense, which strictly prohibits him from purchasing and/or possessing firearms. Kirkland has been incarcerated since the arrest.
LiveFight
« on: September 23, 2009, 10:43:05 PM »

mooreman
Executive Member

The Sandman

« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 12:20:52 AM »

This is great news. I hope he uses this second chance wisely and makes no mistake in clearing out that division. Its clear he's well capable of doing that. I like his style too and his attitude. He should come out like an animal!!
Alvy
V.I.P

Alvy
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 12:30:54 AM »

Personally, I think he is well overrated - A very crude fighter. I think a top level operator will stand him on his head (then again, there aren't too many of those floating around at 154' nowadays...)

“We learned a long time ago that we should never subject ourselves to the schedules of the powerful. We had to follow our own calendar and impose it on those above.”
Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 03:17:00 AM »

Personally, I think he is well overrated - A very crude fighter. I think a top level operator will stand him on his head (then again, there aren't too many of those floating around at 154' nowadays...)
you beat me too it! He will come unstuck when/if he faces a technically gifted fighter
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:14:34 AM »

Paul Williams is still around.
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2009, 08:14:34 AM »

mooreman
Executive Member

The Sandman

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2009, 09:59:40 AM »

Fans cry out for trowback fighters who are always in exciting fights then when they find them just give out that a technically better fighter will give them a lesson. That doesnt bother me , Kirkland has that ''knock me down and i'll get up and hit you harder'' style to him. He may come unstuck eventually. But he will be a world champ , earn alot of money and excite alot of fans before he finishes up.

(Unless he gets his missus to buy him another gun!!)
Jambonhead
V.I.P
Executive Member

...AND THE NEW!!!

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2009, 12:33:16 PM »

mayweather shud fight him at 154, he will school kirkland easy and will enhance his legacy by beating a big very strong fighter out of his natural weight.

this would have to be in say 2 years or so when kirkland has a world title to make the fight seem competitve, could be perfect for floyd once he clears out pacman,mosley,cotto

Bunce-''right Im not sure whats going with the walk ins so lets just listen to some mariachi music and look at the corona girls''

''Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face'' - Mike Tyson
Alvy
V.I.P

Alvy
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2009, 02:45:42 PM »

Fans cry out for trowback fighters who are always in exciting fights then when they find them just give out that a technically better fighter will give them a lesson. That doesnt bother me , Kirkland has that ''knock me down and i'll get up and hit you harder'' style to him. He may come unstuck eventually. But he will be a world champ , earn alot of money and excite alot of fans before he finishes up.

(Unless he gets his missus to buy him another gun!!)

Don't get me wrong, I love his style - You crack me and i'll crack you and lets see who's still standing. I'm not denying that he's fun to watch but your initial post refers to him potentially "clearing out the divison" and I don't think he has he ability to do that because he's far too crude a fighter.

“We learned a long time ago that we should never subject ourselves to the schedules of the powerful. We had to follow our own calendar and impose it on those above.”
mooreman
Executive Member

The Sandman

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 03:01:20 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I love his style - You crack me and i'll crack you and lets see who's still standing. I'm not denying that he's fun to watch but your initial post refers to him potentially "clearing out the divison" and I don't think he has he ability to do that because he's far too crude a fighter.
[/quote]

Yeah I can agree with what your saying.  He'll be a fighter who wins a few word titles and wins and loses a few fights when he is stepped up to elite level. I just love the attitude he has. He's easy to support. I'll be looking forward to his comeback fight!! Wonder who the lamb will be??

Could Peter McNeely make the Middleweight limit!  Grin Grin Wink
Tito
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 03:40:23 PM »

I don't think he will have to many problems picking up were he left off. I am unsure what level he can possibly go to he is a good fighter capable of winning a World title but also I think Williams and Spinks could both beat him.

Terrible
Executive Member

With great power, comes great responsibility

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 03:57:44 PM »

I would like to see James Kirkland v Jamie Moore.
Tito
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 07:13:12 PM »

I would like to see James Kirkland v Jamie Moore.

Moore as to go Stateside soon and get in the mix. He is on top form but if he thinks Maloney can get him a genuine shot in the UK then he must be mad. I heard he turned down a fight not long ago because the offer put to him wasn't good enough. If he backs himself and takes the risk surely defending a belt will be worth it as he would get some good paydays and exposure rather than fighting in Wigan and Altrincham.

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 07:21:06 PM »

Moore as to go Stateside soon and get in the mix. He is on top form but if he thinks Maloney can get him a genuine shot in the UK then he must be mad. I heard he turned down a fight not long ago because the offer put to him wasn't good enough. If he backs himself and takes the risk surely defending a belt will be worth it as he would get some good paydays and exposure rather than fighting in Wigan and Altrincham.
Agreed. Moore's not at a much higher level now than he was 3 years ago. Rhodes needs to be his last domestic fight. He's 30 and he's just wasting the time he has left if he doesn't do what he has to do to get a title shot. He needs to go to the US and challenge anyone in the top ten that will fight him. He needs to force the issue because he's good enough for people to not want to fight him and he's not a big enough name to make the risk worth it. 
Tito
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 07:42:36 PM »

Agreed. Moore's not at a much higher level now than he was 3 years ago. Rhodes needs to be his last domestic fight. He's 30 and he's just wasting the time he has left if he doesn't do what he has to do to get a title shot. He needs to go to the US and challenge anyone in the top ten that will fight him. He needs to force the issue because he's good enough for people to not want to fight him and he's not a big enough name to make the risk worth it. 

I'm sure Jamie Moore will be another entry in the ''Best British fighter never to win a World title thread'' in a few years time if he doesn't back himself. I like the Guy he is in his absolute prime and the division doesn't have many big names who he couldn't do a job on.

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 07:46:22 PM »

I'm sure Jamie Moore will be another entry in the ''Best British fighter never to win a World title thread'' in a few years time if he doesn't back himself. I like the Guy he is in his absolute prime and the division doesn't have many big names who he couldn't do a job on.
Somone like Mayorga would be a great name to get in with and a fight that would be perfect for Moore.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: