LiveFight
February 23, 2018, 10:10:51 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: glenn johnson v joe calzaghe @175lbs 2004  (Read 12124 times)
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 05:59:35 AM »

Point out the man that said he would Che. Wink

Let's also acknowledge that Joe showed in the Kessler fight that he was no longer the fighter he once was. Joe's well documented hand problems meant he was unlikely to Ko anyone half decent later on in his career - so why expect him to KO Roy? Some say he carried Roy in the last few rounds - I believe his hands were that bad he didn't go for it like he would have years before.

Roy wasn't the only oldman in that ring.

Completely agree Rob, it always puzzles me when people point out Joe beating these once great fighters and the haters say... 'he would of got killed had he met them in thier prime'.
I say... 'If that's what Joe did to them then, imagine what a mess a prime Joe would have made of these guys.'
LiveFight
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2009, 05:59:35 AM »

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2009, 06:00:49 AM »

they may have been both old men but rjj had many more hard miles on the clock that night they wer in the ring

That's an easy argument with no way of measuring it.
Only one of those guys is still fighting and it aint Joe.
Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2009, 06:31:07 AM »

That's an easy argument with no way of measuring it.Only one of those guys is still fighting and it aint Joe.

Youve only got to look at the records to measure it, RJJ was arguably the best boxer of the last 20 years, to claim Calzaghe is better than a prime RJJ is just wrong on all levels
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2009, 06:41:21 AM »

Youve only got to look at the records to measure it, RJJ was arguably the best boxer of the last 20 years, to claim Calzaghe is better than a prime RJJ is just wrong on all levels

I'm not saying he aint, just that by saying Calzaghe won because he had 'less miles on the clock' is an easy argument and there is no way to prove what a fight took from a fighter. A fighter can be shot afyter 1 war, another fighter can fight them all day long - look at Manny Pac, by saying about miles on the clock he should have retired by now.
He's not everyones cup of tea, but a prime Calzaghe is a match for any super middle in history. He may not have beat them all, but saying he would have been blown away by any of them is fanciful.
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 06:52:26 AM »

I'm not saying he aint, just that by saying Calzaghe won because he had 'less miles on the clock' is an easy argument and there is no way to prove what a fight took from a fighter. A fighter can be shot afyter 1 war, another fighter can fight them all day long - look at Manny Pac, by saying about miles on the clock he should have retired by now.
He's not everyones cup of tea, but a prime Calzaghe is a match for any super middle in history. He may not have beat them all, but saying he would have been blown away by any of them is fanciful.
Spot on mate. RJJ is maybe the only person in his prime over the last 20 years who could have beaten Joe but even that is open to debate. As is being proved right here
LiveFight
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2009, 06:52:26 AM »

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2009, 07:35:40 AM »

Spot on mate. RJJ is maybe the only person in his prime over the last 20 years who could have beaten Joe but even that is open to debate. As is being proved right here

What about a certain bernard hopkins if he was 15 years younger than when they met??? He forced a split decision at 43 years old!!! Joes a great fighter, but not the best.
WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2009, 07:38:08 AM »

Completely agree Rob, it always puzzles me when people point out Joe beating these once great fighters and the haters say... 'he would of got killed had he met them in thier prime'.
I say... 'If that's what Joe did to them then, imagine what a mess a prime Joe would have made of these guys.'

I feel sorry for Glenn Johnson - he's the forgotten man, even his own topic gets hijacked by other fighters. Grin

If its any consolation I scored the 3rd Clinton Woods fight for you, Glenn.

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
rbakich

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2009, 08:00:20 AM »

I am STILL amazed that people will still point to the second Jones fight with Montell Griffin and say "RJ (alter ego) came out in that one, etc....." That was ONE fight out of Roy's whole career. It's pretty clear that he is not and never was a threat to score an early knockout. And it's also pretty clear that he's not of the ilk to go on a seek and destroy mission against anybody.

If he had the heart to match his skills, he may have been the best boxer ever......
CelticHiggo
V.I.P
Executive Member

"Its never too late to be what you might have been

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2009, 08:55:23 AM »

Calzaghe UD but probably would have been the toughest fight of his carreer over all if it happened.

"Never argue with an idiot.They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience".
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2009, 10:29:32 AM »

I am STILL amazed that people will still point to the second Jones fight with Montell Griffin and say "RJ (alter ego) came out in that one, etc....." That was ONE fight out of Roy's whole career. It's pretty clear that he is not and never was a threat to score an early knockout. And it's also pretty clear that he's not of the ilk to go on a seek and destroy mission against anybody.
If he had the heart to match his skills, he may have been the best boxer ever......

Firstly nobody mentioned a quick knockout, except you.

Secondly, to try and dismiss what Jones did to Griffin in their rematch as anything short of spectacular is a pointless and ill concived thing to say. Montell had never been been beaten let alone blown away like he was, Roy was focused, angry and had a point to prove, he went out and destroyed Montell in one of the most one sided and dominant rounds of boxing i have ever seen.

When Roy Jones was on point, there wasnt another fighter around that could touch him, especially Calzaghe

Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »

That's an easy argument with no way of measuring it.
Only one of those guys is still fighting and it aint Joe.

its quite an easy 1 to measure in this case, rjj was fighting elite fighters majority of his career at the very highest level, in the mean time calzaghe was beaten bums up until the last 3yrs of his career.....have a look at who they fought down the yrs and come back to me  Wink
jaff_no1
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2009, 01:02:08 PM »

What about a certain bernard hopkins if he was 15 years younger than when they met??? He forced a split decision at 43 years old!!! Joes a great fighter, but not the best.
Wouldn't Joe have been 15 years younger as well? Hopkins wasn't as untouchable as RJJ was
Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2009, 01:49:47 PM »

Wouldn't Joe have been 15 years younger as well? Hopkins wasn't as untouchable as RJJ was
If Joe was 15 year younger that would have made him abound 22 years olf, hopkins 28 years old, dont tell me you think a 22 year old Calzaghe would beat a 28 year old B Hop. Hopkins wasnt untouchable, but at 43 he forced a split decision, that speaks volumes.....
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2009, 02:21:24 PM »

If Joe was 15 year younger that would have made him abound 22 years olf, hopkins 28 years old, dont tell me you think a 22 year old Calzaghe would beat a 28 year old B Hop. Hopkins wasnt untouchable, but at 43 he forced a split decision, that speaks volumes.....

At 22 Joe would have been a pro for only a year too

No way he would have beaten Nard

rbakich

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2009, 03:44:59 PM »

Hitman: What I said was not pointless. Nor was it ill-conceived. The point I was trying to make was about Roy Jones' supposed alter ego "RJ". I've always seen people on message boards point to that second Griffen fight as saying "That's what a pissed off and focused Roy Jones can do". I say it's bullshit. I say that result was a fluke, and the rest of Roys career seems to bear that out.

Maybe the fact that they messed Griffen about before the fight (in the dressing room) had something to do with the quick KO, because Roy sure never showed he had that type of stuff in him at any other time.

This was not a knock on Roy as a fighter, or his legacy, or any of that. Just an observation I have always found interesting.
LiveFight

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: