LiveFight
May 25, 2018, 09:08:11 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: glenn johnson v joe calzaghe @175lbs 2004  (Read 12649 times)
Tomatron
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

Seems to be quite a few 'internet myths' flying about this thread.

For one, this 'A Prime Calzaghe' comment i hear more lately. Fact is, Joe has always fought on the same level from the first fight to the last. His early KO ratio was more about BUMS than suddenly having bad hands. He has never had a peak and always performed the same.

Secondly, anyone who thinks Joe would have took on the likes of a prime Roy Jones and won needs to put the crack pipe down. Calzaghe laboured to so many shitty wins i have lost count. W***** was the mastermind at bringing in spent fighters, whom usually had lost their titles a few fights back for a last hurrah in Wales.

Joe had defended his WBO strap 10 times by 2001 and Jones was at light heavy with a bunch of belts that year and for several years after, but Joe wanted zero part of him then.

Jones spanked a braver brit than Calzaghe in Clinton Woods.

At the time of that fight, the belts that were brought into the ring were as follows :-

WBC , WBA, WBA, IBO, IBA, WBF , NBA. Thats the 3 most important titles in boxing, plus 3 or 4 trinkets for good measure. Shortly afterwards he stepped up to Heavyweight and giving away 3 stone and 3 inches outboxed the WBA title off John Ruiz, breaking his nose in the process. Jones was aged just 33 at the time.

He was world champion at middle (beat Hopkins), supermiddle (first to beat James Toney) Light Heavy (unified) Heavyweight.

Check this Jones fight out, from 9 years ago and tell me Calzaghe would have beaten him (Joe was busy fighting Mario Veit in his 10th defence)  :-

WBC Light Heavyweight Title (6th defense of Jones)
IBF Light Heavyweight Title (2nd defense of Jones)
WBA Light Heavyweight Title (5th defence of Jones)

<object width="640" height="418"><param name="movie" value="http://www.megavideo.com/v/F6Z6ZIYA54d95dce94c9e7e69ef0020d258e4067"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.megavideo.com/v/F6Z6ZIYA54d95dce94c9e7e69ef0020d258e4067" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="418"></embed></object>

Maybe Woods was braver than Joe, but lets be fair you cannot compare the two on talent. Woods was forced to fight Jones, went over there and put another lacklustre performance against jones, it was worse than his performance against tarver, although brave, he looked like a kid who had met his match and realised it, he hardly threw a punch.
Calzaghe would have at least gave Jones a fight. So if we are arguing bravery/stupidity maybe woods wins, but thats the only thing he would ever beat joe at in a boxing ring.
Nobody doubts tht Jones was an exceptional talent, and the best of the 90s by a country mile. But he will always loose my respect for his doping offenses, regardless of why, i will always doubt the legitimacy of his career before this. I personally think Joe would have a brilliant fight, but against Jones it would be really really tough fight.
LiveFight
« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2009, 04:00:00 PM »

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2009, 04:14:20 PM »

He was knocking on though. It's abit like saying Lennox Lewis got hit too much based on his last fight. Or Holmes is quicker than Ali based on Ali's last fight.

You can't compare a fighter and base it on his last fight - it makes no sense. We all get old.

Fair enough mate!  Smiley
LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: