LiveFight
September 23, 2018, 03:33:47 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roach launches tirade against Andreas Kotelnik  (Read 5681 times)
Leve Lad
Executive Member

« on: June 18, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »

Amir Khan's trainer, Freddie Roach, turned on his fighter's upcoming opponent, Andreas Kotelnik, with unusual venom in London today, accusing him of faking an infection that caused the original postponement of their world title fight.

Kotelnik, from the Ukraine, was due to defend his World Boxing Association light-welterweight title against Khan at the 02 Arena on Saturday night, but withdrew last week, complaining of two infected teeth. The fight goes ahead now at the MEN Arena in Manchester on 18 July.

The promoter, Frank W*****, hinted there might be an upside to the postponement, because HBO have a free date in their boxing schedule after the withdrawal through injury of Floyd Mayweather Jnr from his comeback fight in Las Vegas on that night against Juan Manuel Márquez. "We might get lucky," W***** said, "and get that date for Amir. I am waiting to hear from them."

Such Stateside exposure would do wonders for Khan's profile, but this prospect did little to placate the straight-talking Roach. "It's very disappointing," Roach said. "I know these things happen, but, hey, come on. This guy says he's going to knock us out faster than [Breidis] Prescott, but then he gets a toothache and pulls out of the fight. I think it's bullshit."

Khan was more relaxed about the delay. "When I beat him, the last thing I want is people saying he beat a man with a toothache. I'm happy the fight is going ahead. That's the main thing. I didn't want to lose the chance for a world title."

Kotelnik said: "It was an accident that happened in training a few weeks ago, I can't remember when exactly, but I have injured two teeth. I am returning to the Ukraine tomorrow morning for a minor operation on one of the teeth. This will not affect my training and I will resume sparring within a week."

Khan returns to Los Angeles on Sunday to pick up his preparation at Roach's Wild Card gym in Hollywood. "Obviously we will now have to monitor the preparation as I will have been in training for 13 weeks by the time of the fight," he said. "The flying backwards and forwards between Los Angeles and the UK doesn't bother me. I sleep all the time on the plane anyway."

Roach expects Khan to stop Kotelnik. "You are going to have another world champion next month," he said. "No question about that."

They would do well not to take Kotelnik lightly. He is an accomplished boxer with a fine amateur pedigree and a professional record of 31 wins from 33 fights, one of those coming against the Welshman Gavin Rees, from whom he won the title by a last-round stoppage in Cardiff in March, 2008.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jun/18/amir-khan-world-title-fight

"I'm not saying I have any pearls of wisdom, but I have a few questions to ask."  Jim Kerr
LiveFight
« on: June 18, 2009, 03:11:44 PM »

Meatball
V.I.P

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 03:30:37 PM »

If HBO do decide to show the fight does that mean its not gunna kick off until the eary hours?   Angry
Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 03:32:36 PM »

If HBO do decide to show the fight does that mean its not gunna kick off until the eary hours?   Angry
Hdnt thought of that! booked tickets for it yesterday!
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 03:45:47 PM »

I would doubt that HBO might want it. Unless they bought into the Barrera fight they wouldn't know Khan. I doubt they know much about Kotelnik either. I suppose it's short notice though and they've not got anything else better on. I wonder if that also means that the Sky PPv for the 18th now solely consists of Khan?  :Smiley
Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »

if hbo didnt bother with klitsckho v chagev i cant see them bothering with khan and his easy route to a world title. :Smiley
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 03:50:44 PM »

Sez
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2009, 03:51:44 PM »

Blimey... Roach is usually pretty calm, not a happy boy then i take it!

I doubt HBO will want it unless there is bugger all else to show but i dont think i'll be paying to see this one
Meatball
V.I.P

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2009, 04:03:49 PM »

Frank W***** seems to think if he gets Khan on American TV that he will automatically become a massive box office star.
If he was to focus and put more work into Khan building a solid UK fan base first and add to that a world title (even through a week route) then America will naturally sit up and take notice.
I feel a bit sorry for Khan who it appears is being flogged by a desperate, greedy man.
Khan has talent, obviously he has his flaws that will prevent him being elite but IMO he is a talented fighter who could achieve to a decent level but he would enjoy his career alot more if he had a army of fans.
America is aware now more than ever that the UK fight fans bring passion and more importantly money that is becoming harder for them to find closer to home.      
fil1979
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 04:11:50 PM »

maybe Frank can get HBO to show Khan here on their regular WCB.

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 04:18:06 PM »

maybe Frank can get HBO to show Khan here on their regular WCB.

well he certainly aint gonna be ppv!
fil1979
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 05:29:43 PM »

well he certainly aint gonna be ppv!

Grin

Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 05:38:39 PM »

khan been on ppv in the first place is a farce, he should have had to earn the right to be on ppv like every1 else...ppl should refuse to buy this fight and just stream it. f*ck him and wank W*****!
WelshDevilRob
Executive Member

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2009, 09:26:02 PM »

khan been on ppv in the first place is a farce, he should have had to earn the right to be on ppv like every1 else...ppl should refuse to buy this fight and just stream it. f*ck him and wank W*****!

Very True Che, I can't believe that true boxing fans actually pay extra to see his fights.

David Haye on Klitschko:"All I need is a ring and a ref who can count to ten"
Che Guevara
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 09:40:11 PM »

Very True Che, I can't believe that true boxing fans actually pay extra to see his fights.

hes itv box office at most imo  Grin
V.I.P
Executive Member

Team Sevens

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 09:41:20 PM »

Whilst I agree he shouldn't be PPV or even topping Bill's yet, that's a bit harsh

I have paid, the undercards aren't always terrible.

One thing that you get with Khan like him or not is the danger that he could be KO'd at any moment, he is always in pretty exciting fights
bigbibbs

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »

i was thinking of doing this on a stream but i cam imagine it jumoing and buffering and spoiling it.  I pay to see him get Ko'd (Khan that is).

Is Roach down to start training someone else before that date? Khan will not get a KO but maybe Ko'd himself.
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: