LiveFight
January 20, 2018, 09:10:42 PM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Roach launches tirade against Andreas Kotelnik  (Read 5146 times)
Bolton Dave
Executive Member

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »

Heres a Freddie Roach interview in Boxing News

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=1177

Roach is typically open

THEREíS no denying it, Freddie Roach, the leading trainer in the world today, is more than a little ticked off at the postponement of Amir Khanís world title bid.

When Andreas Kotelnik damaged his teeth in sparring the date was moved from June 27 to July 18 and the venue changed from Londonís O2 Arena to Manchesterís MEN.

Still, Roach was in fine form when he talked to BN and sure his man can become Britainís latest world champion next month.

How has Amir changed since youíve had him?

I think heís a completely different fighter now. Heís getting better all of the time. Heís not going to make the mistake he made with [Breidis] Prescott ever again. Between me and [conditioning coach] Alex [Ariza] and my team itís working pretty good. Unfortunately I donít think Michael Moorer will be with us anymore.

Has he left the gym?

No, Iím going to ask him to leave tomorrow [Friday, June 19]. He just doesnít get along very well with the fighters and I have a really good relationship with my fighters. But I have five out of six fighters that just donít respond to him and I need that positive feeling at all times.

You got Amir after the Prescott fight. Do you think you got him at the right time to really mould him because he would have been vulnerable and willing to learn because of the disaster?

When they called me they were very humble because they had considered me to be his trainer after the Olympics, of course. But the thing was I think at that point we just had to get his confidence back so thatís why I threw him in the ring with [Manny] Pacquiao.

Some people said Pacquiao took it easy on him but thatís bulls***. We donít do that in my gym. The thing is, Amirís a great athlete, a good fighter, I just had to get his confidence back and if Pacquiao knocked him out that day I probably would have sent him home. It was sink or swim because I donít have time for people who donít have a future. He did well and I think that gave him confidence in himself and I donít think he worries about Prescott anymore. It only comes to mind because so many people bring it up all of the time but if he wins the world title here, beats a couple of other guys it will go away slowly. Itís the nature of people.

Was the Marco Antonio Barrera fight a gamble?

Not to me. Everyone else said I was crazy because he just went the distance with [Juan Manuel] Marquez but timing is important in life and it was the perfect time for us to fight Barrera. There was no way in my mind that he could beat my charge.

The one question mark people have over Amir is his chin. Have you noticed anything in the gym Ė has he stood up to good shots, has he been wobbled?

No, heís stood up to it. He gets hit hard sometimes but heís not wavering. He fights back when he gets hit. He gets a little excited sometimes. Thatís something Iím trying to adjust, of course, so he doesnít get so aggressive when he gets hit. I think his confidence with us, the way heís training and the mental side of it has a lot to do with a great chin or a bad chin. Some people have better chins than others but the Prescott knockout, the way he walked into that shot, it would have knocked out King Kong. He just walked right into it and heís definitely not going to make that mistake again because I think weíve pretty much cured that problem. It was just an amateur mistake that he made and if you watch his early fights heíd been making that mistake his whole life before then but heís been getting away with it. So it might have been a good thing.

You say he fights back when under pressure. Thatís a good attribute in one sense because it shows heart.

I love it. So you know what, when Amir and Pacquiao meet in the middle itís like here we go. So when Amir gets hit he wants to f****** fight. I like the way he fights.

How inconvenient is this, having to go back to LA and then come back again?

My problem, why Iím upset a little bit, is because of travel. Going back and forth twice is going to make it a little harder to adjust a second time. But weíll have no excuses come fight time. Weíre not going to blame anything. People think Iím cocky but I just have confidence in my fighter, I think heís a great fighter and heís got a great future.

But itís not just you two this affects, you have a stable of guys...

Iíve got Vanes Martirosyan fighting for the title in New Jersey this weekend so Iíve got to get back to him and Iíve got [Craig] McEwan at the Staples Center [next Saturday] so it messes my whole schedule up. But itís part of life and weíll deal with it.

Kotelnik, how highly do you rate him?

Very good fighter. The tooth issue, you know Iím not happy about that but as far as a fighter heís very good at what he does. Heís very amateurish, heís got a very passive defence. Heís got a good one-two, throws the hook once in a while, doesnít throw body shots too often. Heís a very good basic, stand-up Russian fighter. They all fight the same way. But heís good at what he does. Heís a world champion. I respect him but I feel we have a great gameplan and we have the better fighter.

Have you been recognised much over here?

A little bit.

Itís not the Philippines though, is it?

No, itís not. But with 24/7 and stuff like that itís been crazy. But I like people so I donít mind it.

Bored of boxing - need some fights to excite me again
LiveFight
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2009, 01:59:40 PM »

mac-rebel021
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2009, 02:08:47 PM »

i really like freddie , he totaly dedicates himself to his fighters he reminds me of mickey out of rocky

its not the size of the dog in the fight
its the size of the fight in the dog
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2009, 02:11:12 PM »

i really like freddie , he totaly dedicates himself to his fighters he reminds me of mickey out of rocky
I wonder if he's slapped Manny yet?  Grin
Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2009, 02:17:50 PM »

I wonder if he's slapped Manny yet?  Grin

I can see it now, "Ok freddie, Ill sign for 50/50"

"Well what are we waiting for!!! Lets get that son of a bitch!"
Bolton Dave
Executive Member

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »

I'm not suprised Freddie is asking Michael Moorer to leave the gym, he came across as a complete plank imo in the 24/7 series leading upto the Hatton/Manny fight

Bored of boxing - need some fights to excite me again
LiveFight
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2009, 02:39:09 PM »

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2009, 02:43:39 PM »

I'm not suprised Freddie is asking Michael Moorer to leave the gym, he came across as a complete plank imo in the 24/7 series leading upto the Hatton/Manny fight
Yeah he had a pretty cushy job in the Wild Card. He's not going to get any better offers is he?
stephen thompson
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2009, 02:59:05 PM »

moorer was trainer for a heavywieght in wec, world extreme cagefighting. his charge got ko,d in the first 30 seconds. i think freddy is being polite and its cause moorer brings nothing to the table.

Happy Holidays is what the terrorists say so.....merry Christmas one and all

MadMariner
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »

Heres a Freddie Roach interview in Boxing News

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=1177

Roach is typically open

I think heís a completely different fighter now. Heís getting better all of the time. Heís not going to make the mistake he made with [Breidis] Prescott ever again. Between me and [conditioning coach] Alex [Ariza] and my team itís working pretty good. Unfortunately I donít think Michael Moorer will be with us anymore.

Has he left the gym?

No, Iím going to ask him to leave tomorrow [Friday, June 19]
. He just doesnít get along very well with the fighters and I have a really good relationship with my fighters. But I have five out of six fighters that just donít respond to him and I need that positive feeling at all times.

So Freddie announced to Boxing News that he was letting Moorer go tomorrow,  hmmmm bet he knew before you got to him Freddie.
Yep the guy came over as a bit of a plonker on 24/7  but still not a nice way to find out that your out on your ear  and  none of the fighters at the gym like you.
Lane
V.I.P
Executive Member

I HATE AMIR KHAN

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2009, 03:17:53 PM »

if he is on hbo then its a joke he should still be on sky sports they instantly put him on their when he signed the deal with sky, any other commonwealth champion wouldnt have been put on sbo just because he won a silver and was knocking out featherweights warrant him sbo no way complete joke and in all honesty if he doesn't perform in this fight and gets banged hang your gloves. a quote from old ricky hatton www.livinginadreamworldwithaglassjaw.com something like that i know someone will correct me

LiveFight

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: