LiveFight
October 17, 2017, 09:27:35 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Margarito Has Work To Do  (Read 6395 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« on: June 12, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&id=20365

Margarito Has Work To Do

Antonio Margarito was recently quoted in the Mexico-based publication Esto as saying he expects to soon get his license restored by the California State Athletic Commission, which revoked Margarito's license for a minimum of one year in February after Margarito was found to have illegal hardended inserts in his hand wraps prior to his ninth-round knockout loss to "Sugar" Shane Mosley in January in Los Angeles.

Margarito did not say how he expected to get his license back before next February, other than to say his legal team is working on it. His promoter, Bob Arum, on Tuesday was asked if he could elaborate on Margarito's comments.

"No, no I can't," Arum told BoxingScene.

Arum did discuss what Margarito will need to do in order to make people forget about the incident that has resulted in a cheater jacket being hung on Margarito's back.

Arum noted that some have wondered if Margarito had been guilty of fighting with illegal wraps prior to the Mosley debacle.

"There is some skepticism that, did that happen in other fights?" Arum said. "And the only way he's going to get over that is for people to see him in his next few fights. If he's as devastating as he was before, then people won't dwell on it.

"If he isn't, then people might very well dwell on it."

Arum pointed to the situation surrounding Mosley, who was found to have illegal substances in his system prior to his second fight with Oscar De La Hoya in September 2003.

"The same for Mosley," Arum said. "He admittedly took steroids when he fought Oscar the second time. Since then Mosley has been quite a fighter even without steroids; he has been tested so extensively.

"So the steroid issue that focused on one particular fight has now become less consequential."

Is it just me or does it sound like Arum is actually admitting there that Margarito did cheat but that we'd get over it? Not a mention of hand cream there.  :Smiley
LiveFight
« on: June 12, 2009, 08:00:45 AM »

Sez
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 08:54:58 AM »

I just took that as he was speculating on what other people would say about it  Huh?
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 09:00:12 AM »

The way he worded it. "Did it happen in other fights" and a comparison to Mosley doesn't sound like speculation. It would be odd for Arum to be caught out so he could be mis quoted.
Sez
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 09:02:26 AM »

The way he worded it. "Did it happen in other fights" and a comparison to Mosley doesn't sound like speculation. It would be odd for Arum to be caught out so he could be mis quoted.

yeah i see your point, who knows what he meant by it. I'm still really gutted about this, i really like Margarito and had hight hopes for him... but it will always be tarnished  Undecided
RAZZ-MCFC
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »

Marg is a cheat end of, Cotto deserves that 0 back
LiveFight
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »

Keegan Jacobs
The Truth
Executive Member

The Truth

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2009, 07:44:25 PM »

Marg is a cheat end of, Cotto deserves that 0 back

Ya i agree RAZZ. I just cant stand cheaters , i know if i was running the show i would punish cheaters to the max as in suspend license for a long time. Cotto has never been broken like that and it started in the 2nd round with a broken nose ,

im not saying if marg did use illegal substance on cotto but if he did, its just too bad for cotto cause he lost his 0 , he lost superstar status, some questioned his heart, confidence probably shattered , ALL THIS IN ONE NIGHT.

As much as i want to see margarito back in the ring , if you cheat then you should be punished longer than a year and i would like it effect your career because the person you used it on has probably effected his.

Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2009, 10:05:10 PM »

When i read the thread title i thought Antonio had quit boxing and had got a job as a plaster's apprentice  Lips Sealed

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2009, 10:11:00 PM »

When i read the thread title i thought Antonio had quit boxing and had got a job as a plaster's apprentice  Lips Sealed

I heard he tried mate, he was no good on flat sufaces though, kept leaving knucke shaped bumps in the wall  :Smiley
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2009, 10:17:03 PM »

I heard he tried mate, he was no good on flat sufaces though, kept leaving knucke shaped bumps in the wall  :Smiley

Dont give up the day job mate  Grin

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2009, 10:18:45 PM »

Dont give up the day job mate  Grin

that bad ey?  Embarrassed
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2009, 10:33:52 PM »

Ironically Ottke was a trained plasterer but he coudn't punch his way out of a paper bag. Except for knocking Mundine out cold. I put that down to the collective mindpower of the boxing community though. Divine intervention.  Grin

Anthony Mundine Highlight
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2009, 10:37:51 PM »

Ironically Ottke was a trained plasterer but he coudn't punch his way out of a paper bag. Except for knocking Mundine out cold. I put that down to the collective mindpower of the boxing community though. Divine intervention.  Grin

Anthony Mundine Highlight

I really REALLY hope LiveFight's very own Apollo Anton Ono joins this site

You two will get along mighty fine  Grin

Back on topic though, i remember that fight, what puzzled me at the time was why the ref continued to count when Mundine was clearly unconcious and would never have beat the count in 10 minutes let alone 10 seconds!

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 10:47:05 PM »

I really REALLY hope LiveFight's very own Apollo Anton Ono joins this site

You two will get along mighty fine  Grin

Back on topic though, i remember that fight, what puzzled me at the time was why the ref continued to count when Mundine was clearly unconcious and would never have beat the count in 10 minutes let alone 10 seconds!
I am familiar with Apollo's work.  lol

Maybe he thought he was having a rest with his eyes closed like Anthony Bonsante?!  Grin
Hitman
Executive Member

#everythingforareason

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 10:49:26 PM »

Maybe he thought he was having a rest with his eyes closed like Anthony Bonsante?!  Grin

Hahahahahaha  Grin

Brick Top
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »

Maybe he thought he was having a rest with his eyes closed like Anthony Bonsante?!  ;D

Just youtube's that, havnt seen it before. WTF  Huh?

I think thats what Ricky was doing but felt a bit daft jumping up when the ref stopped it  :Smiley
LiveFight

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: