LiveFight
October 18, 2017, 03:30:05 AM*

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Khan vs Salita and undercard discussion *spoilers  (Read 47408 times)
deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #375 on: December 08, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »

Not everyone is interested in the money, sometimes it's more about the honour. The fact is, Khan has not obliterated anyone on his record, the way he was bazooka'd by Prescott.

Fact is, a rematch would sell a lot over here so that's not much of a factor.

At 140lb Prescott would be even bigger and busier and they know it.

Khan could fight in Jan if he wanted to and got a Sky date. He is in total shape and prep would not be an issue. But you'll not see it soon or even in the distant future.

If Khan ran like a chicken, pot-shotting his way to a UD, he'd still be 2nd to Prescott. He'd have to go back in there and absolutely take him apart and knock him out and Khan just can't do it with that china chin.

I understand where you are coming from but it doesn't work that way. Ali went 41 rounds over 3 fights with Frazier but Frasier got obliterated by Foreman over 7 rounds in two fights and never beat him. Not beating someone by a devestating KO in a rematch, if they've done it to you, doesn't always mean you are rubbish. Fighters have different strengths and you know that. Khan's not a massive puncher but he's very skillful. Do I think he has a long term future at world level? No. Not if he takes on a couple of meaningful fights. I do think that at the moment he is still learning under Roach and he's doing the best he can for the massive weakness that he can never get away from. I do think you would do the same if you were in his position. I know you have pride but you would also have sense at the end of the day.
Carl is a very exciting fighter and a big hitter but how long would he last if he had Khan's chin? Not too long would be my guess? Would he still fight the same and retire after a couple of fights of ending up on the canvas in the first round or would he adapt to survive? At the end of the day if you look at what Khan did on Saturday it proves that at heart, at least, he's got aggression and a lot of ability. He would be a very different fighter if he had the chin to allow him to fight with that abandon against the top fighters. He can't though so I cut him some slack for that as you are either born with a chin or you're not and bar a couple of exercises to help minimally you're stuck with it.
LiveFight
« Reply #375 on: December 08, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #376 on: December 08, 2009, 09:21:45 AM »

There are an awful lot of fighters out there, some of them legends, that have never fought the people who beat them again. Can Prescott KO Khan again? Yes. Is he a better boxer? No. 

That sums it up in a nutshell mate.
Khan doesn't need to fight Prescott again and after losing on Saturday he probably wont.
Wheelchair
Executive Member

« Reply #377 on: December 08, 2009, 09:28:50 AM »

That sums it up in a nutshell mate.
Khan doesn't need to fight Prescott again and after losing on Saturday he probably wont.

After seeing Prescott's awful performance against Mitchell, & being generous to Amir, could we now say he was lucky against Khan? Just caught him cold?

I know Amir has a terrible chin anyway, but maybe, just maybe, he was unlucky against Prescott. Or was he outclassed?

Either way, there's no point Khan fighting him again now, he needs to move onto bigger things.
jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #378 on: December 08, 2009, 09:33:42 AM »

After seeing Prescott's awful performance against Mitchell, & being generous to Amir, could we now say he was lucky against Khan? Just caught him cold?

I know Amir has a terrible chin anyway, but maybe, just maybe, he was unlucky against Prescott. Or was he outclassed?

Either way, there's no point Khan fighting him again now, he needs to move onto bigger things.

Agreed mate, there's no sense in Khan fighting Prescott at the minute.
If he did fight him there is a chance he could land another shot from way out and catch Khan again and his career would be utterly screwed. If  that did happen you could pretty much bet Prescott would go on to lose against the next fighter picked out for Khan, the kid can bang but not alot else. Khan will always have a chin issue IMO and fighting Prescott would only be a needless risk at the minute.
King Cotto
Executive Member

If you don't learn from it, experience means shit

« Reply #379 on: December 08, 2009, 09:40:37 AM »

If he did fight him there is a chance he could land another shot from way out and catch Khan again and his career would be utterly screwed. If  that did happen you could pretty much bet Prescott would go on to lose against the next fighter picked out for Khan, the kid can bang but not alot else. Khan will always have a chin issue IMO and fighting Prescott would only be a needless risk at the minute.

Utter agreement. Personally, this one ko isn't enough to convince me that Khan's chinny and there is no need at all to set things straight with Prescott after he was exposed to such a degree (I enjoyed every min of that fight). AK just got caught out cold - immaturity and nervousness - one could see how tense he was and how much he wanted it against Prescott... and he got it... a lesson. Very good to watch the lad and I wish him well + hope his chin's better than people think,
'Go on to greater things Amir and try to silence your critics in the ring rather than some immature remarks in the media.'

'Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.' Sigmund Freud
LiveFight
« Reply #379 on: December 08, 2009, 09:40:37 AM »

Skav
Executive Member

« Reply #380 on: December 08, 2009, 10:13:52 AM »

Time will tell, perhaps stepping up to LW may have done wonders for his chin. I did see him take a few little shots off Kotelnik here and there which he stood up to although I know that's not saying much.

deck
Executive Member

The Pittsburg Windmill

« Reply #381 on: December 08, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »

It wasn't lucky that Prescott won on the night. Khan rushed out like an idiot with no defence and all Prescott had to was land anything decent. There are countless fighters at 135 and 140lbs that could potentially do the same to Khan at the slightest lapse in defence. Is terms of ability he is very good but you're only as strong as your weakest link in boxing and his chin is very weak.
King Cotto
Executive Member

« Reply #382 on: December 08, 2009, 11:31:16 AM »

It wasn't lucky that Prescott won on the night. Khan rushed out like an idiot with no defence and all Prescott had to was land anything decent. There are countless fighters at 135 and 140lbs that could potentially do the same to Khan at the slightest lapse in defence. Is terms of ability he is very good but you're only as strong as your weakest link in boxing and his chin is very weak.

Correct. One must attribute this to his youth and character. Both, Freddy Roach and a well chosen sequence of opponents will hopefully deal with Khan's liabilities. After one shot, who knows how weak his chin really is. I don't.

'Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.' Sigmund Freud
Red
Executive Member

Livefight
« Reply #383 on: December 08, 2009, 12:41:27 PM »

Sorry i disagree with all of you.

In somebody did me like that, it's the fight i'd want more than any.

jimjack
V.I.P
Executive Member

« Reply #384 on: December 08, 2009, 01:13:28 PM »

Sorry i disagree with all of you.

In somebody did me like that, it's the fight i'd want more than any.

Maybe in the future, but what does he gain from fighting him now? Other than repairing a little dented pride (and face) he has nothing to gain from fighting a guy who has just been beat by a fellow Brit who is fighting on a level below Khan at the minute.
If he did fight him and win then people would only say 'well big deal, the columbian was just a flash in the pan and this proves nothing'. Khan will always have detractors no matter who he fights in the immediate future, this may change in the future but for the minute his career is alot more valuable than his pride.
King Cotto
Executive Member

« Reply #385 on: December 08, 2009, 01:27:46 PM »

It doesn't make economic sense for Khan to fight Prescott again, pride or no pride. Perhaps he listens to his advisers; perhaps he is not half the fighter he would like to be. As a professional boxer, if people like it or not, he needs to consider his career and also his bank account. The profit motif IS involved and a fight against Prescott would not pay as much as against lets say Judah.
I'd also like to see him go out and take on the world now, for the sheer excitement of it. But perhaps by doing it step by step, he will give us a show for a decade to come. He might surprise us tho by answering all his critics with a big fight against a big name soon.

LiveFight

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: